• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    It's about time to harvest a large quantity of elderberries from my garden.

Anyone have a fool proof recipe for jam, jelly or other elderberry delight?

I've Googled some, but would be interested in a tried and true INGO method!

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Is Elderberry hard to grow? Sorry for the HI-jack.

It wasn't hard for me...a guy gave me three elderberry cultivars and I put them in the ground, watering them regularly. Two years later, the largest stems are easily 10 feet tall and the shoots have multiplied like rabbits!

You have to put these things in a large space. They have become monstrous in size and we're going to have to prune them back at this point, but that shouldn't be an issue for next summer due to how quickly they grow.

I am planning on picking some tomorrow and will try to post an AAR report.

csaws

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Morgan County
    I bet you could get some "takers" if you thinned them out some rather than cut back.... or both.

I will jump in at number one in line if ya decide to thin them.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I bet you could get some "takers" if you thinned them out some rather than cut back.... or both.

I will jump in at number one in line if ya decide to thin them.

Do I have to wait until Spring before I could give someone a cutting or does season not matter? I've always been the "taker" of plants rather than the "giver" so I'm not sure! ;)

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    you need to wait until the fruit is off them before you dig them up and give them away. otherwise they will die or at least be very weak because all their stored supplies will be going to the fruits. fall is a great time for transplanting. be careful doing it in this extreme heat as it will cause a lot of shock.

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    Transplant them after they go dormant - around the first of november at the earliest.

I've not made elderberry jam, but the stuff I get from one of my coworkers is great. I understand the juice is very strong, and she has to cut it heavily with water to get it palatable. It seems to work for them. She also is into herbal medicine, and uses elderberry juice full strength in spoonful doses. Not sure what its a treatment for though.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    you need to wait until the fruit is off them before you dig them up and give them away. otherwise they will die or at least be very weak because all their stored supplies will be going to the fruits. fall is a great time for transplanting. be careful doing it in this extreme heat as it will cause a lot of shock.

Thanks and rep to you!

philo said:
    Transplant them after they go dormant - around the first of november at the earliest.

I've not made elderberry jam, but the stuff I get from one of my coworkers is great. I understand the juice is very strong, and she has to cut it heavily with water to get it palatable. It seems to work for them. She also is into herbal medicine, and uses elderberry juice full strength in spoonful doses. Not sure what its a treatment for though.

Rep and thanks to you, too!

I read that elderberry may be effective in warding off cold and flu, but I have no idea if that is true.

At the moment I have settled on making some elderberry syrup for use on ice cream, waffles, etc. and some jam and/or jelly. If anything is left, I may freeze them for use later this winter.

timeforchili

Plinker
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Mar 4, 2010
    10 lbs elderberries
    5 gallons of water
    3 lbs liquid malt extract
    3 lbs liquid wheat malt extract
    2 oz willimette hops
    1 package yeast

Lazy Summer Elderberry Wit!!

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    Thanks and rep to you!

Rep and thanks to you, too!

I read that elderberry may be effective in warding off cold and flu, but I have no idea if that is true.

At the moment I have settled on making some elderberry syrup for use on ice cream, waffles, etc. and some jam and/or jelly. If anything is left, I may freeze them for use later this winter.

thanks for the rep sir. i might have to take you up on some if you decide to allow a few folks transplants. i haven't had them before but i love stuff that has double duty (food and medicine )

Top Bottom