Electric or non-electric knife sharpeners?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • standslanted

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2009
    I have several knifes (some inherited from my grandfather) and would like to give them a good edge. I've tried my stone on a few knifes but don't think I'm using it correctly. So my questions is, are electric sharpeners worth the extra price? ($40-$80)

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    I have several knifes (some inherited from my grandfather) and would like to give them a good edge. I've tried my stone on a few knifes but don't think I'm using it correctly. So my questions is, are electric sharpeners worth the extra price? ($40-$80)
    I've never found an electric sharpener worth a damn.
    They may be out there, but I've never seen one.
    I've used "Crock Sticks" (Now owned by Lansky) for about thirty years to keep my expensive kitchen knives razor sharp.
    Lansky Professional Crock Stick Sharpener

OR
    You could contact INGO member tyler34.
    He's known as the sharpening wizard in these parts. :D

DBH

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Carmel
    I sharpen on a 1" x 30" belt sander with belts and/or a leather strop. I can get an edge razor sharp.

Dakota

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2009
    Near Hagerstown
    I used a whetstone for years and thought that was the only way. Then a few years back I bought a Chef's Choice, Edge Select 120 that has three stations on it (an electric model) and I wouldn't go back to a whetstone for anything. This is faster and leaves a razor sharp edge. I leave it out on a counter in our back room and use it often. It wasn't cheap but it works great.

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Don't use an electric sharpener. When it comes to v-grinds, I've had luck with the Lansky and the Wicked Edge.

But, my prefered method is sandpaper.

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Tampa, FL
    I have used a belt grinder and a buffer to put scary sharp edges on knives fast. I have also ruined some knives in learning how to do it. It's up to you as far as what you're willing to invest in and risk losing in order to learn.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    a word to the wise: an electric sharpener screws things up at about 3400x faster rate than a stone. :)

but once you do it once or twice, its super simple and harvest fantastic results, quicker.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    Cubby,
    I have to agree with you with the exception of a Tormek. With its 90rpm wheel it is designed to sharpen at a slower rate and remove as little material to reach a great edge. Here is an image of an SMF and SNG blade I sharpened on a Tormek. I think Tormek gets too little credit here in the US and are thought of just a woodworking tool sharpener, but in Europe they are sold as mainly knife sharpeners.
    smfsngedge.jpg

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    one of my best pals has a tormek. he LOVES it and his edges tools are always stupid sharp. guy is completely OCD so i think even if all he had was a feather pillow and a ball of yarn his gear would be that of legend.

as a matter of fact, OCD is to weak a term for him. lol! ;)

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Stay away from most of the pull through electric grinders. Some of them will give you a quick dirty edge but you will eat up blade metal much faster than hand stoning and most of them will burn the temper out of the blade. The best method is to not let your blade get so dull that it needs reprofiling and lots of metal removed. Touch up the edge frequently and you save time and blade steel. For guys that are new to sharpening the Lansky system works very well and you really can't hardly screw it up. But learning to freehand on a stone will always be the best.

Top Bottom