• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    A 200 amp meter base can handle up to a 200 amp main panel, your 125 amp panel wont even make it break a sweat.

As for the main disconnect, it is nice, but not mandatory; I don't have a main on my barn service, and Duke Energy didn't have a problem with it.

If your inspector, and utility are good with what you have, I'd go with it.

I wouldn't be worried about the meter base, I would be worried about pulling more than 100 A through the 1/0 service entry wire. At the end of the day, I would confirm any potential fixes for the problem with the inspector before doing anything. I would guess that if you fed the panel through a back fed 100 amp breaker instead of the main lugs, that would probably satisfy him but then again who knows.

I suppose it largely depends on what load the service is supposed to support as well as how many breakers are going to be in the box. If less that 100 A load and less than six breaker throws in the box, it might be OK as is.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I think the easiest fix is get a 100a panel with a main breaker and be done with it. I can then use this panel as a subpanel inside my out building when it's up.

i see your point on over amp draw overloading the feeder wires. But I'll go to my grave saying numerous online electrical utility pages state 1/0 aluminum is rated for 125a amp :):

SE: Service Entry, which is what your application is.

Note that here 1/0 Au is only rated for 120 Amp SE as opposed to 135 in other applications.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't understand what is happening here. You are saying it is a new service from the utility? I think you need a main disconnect/main breaker. I don't think a meter base has any protection for over draw.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    New problem, I went to Home Depot to buy a 100 amp panel, it is larger than my current one and I am sure the wires will be too short. Sigh. Off to Menards to see if they have a small size one

can't find small profile main breaker outdoor boxes :xmad:

update: Amazon will install it for me for only $1200 :rofl:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom