• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    One of my fluorescent lights stopped working in my kitchen. Bulbs are fine, is getting power into the ballast but not putting anything out. I searched my ballast’s model number and they aren’t being made anymore. Can anyone tell me what would replace it? Model # of bad ballast is rel-2p32-sc .the fluorescent light has 2 2’ 17watt bulbs. Probably a super simple question but I’m ignorant in this department. Thanks in advance.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    One of my fluorescent lights stopped working in my kitchen. Bulbs are fine, is getting power into the ballast but not putting anything out. I searched my ballast’s model number and they aren’t being made anymore. Can anyone tell me what would replace it? Model # of bad ballast is rel-2p32-sc .the fluorescent light has 2 2’ 17watt bulbs. Probably a super simple question but I’m ignorant in this department. Thanks in advance.
    It looks like Lowe's has it
    https://www.lowes.com/search?searchTerm=ballast+rel-2p32-sc

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Either do the LED lamp conversation or scrap them & go LED
    THIS!

You wont regret it. Cleaner light, never repalce the bulbs, and lower energy usage.
    I love these retrofits. remove the ballast, wire in the driver, and stick the magnetic strips to the metal back of the fixture.

I did a retrofit at my church with these. Stupid simple to install and they work great. I think it was 60 units. I'd do it all over again. twice. LOL

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    2' lamps? Is this an under the counter fixture?

If you can, scrap it and move to LED. You'll be happier than fixing it.
    its actually above my kitchen cabinets 1 2', and 1 4'. I wouldnt mind going led. The site linked in thread didnt show a 2' conversion. These are my main kitchen lights for the most part and they put out a ton of light up on my vaulted ceiling. Looking on home depot all im finding is under cabinet lights which I dont think would have enough throw? maybe im wrong.

Attachments

• IMG_2118.jpeg
      IMG_2118.jpeg
      272.2 KB · Views: 9

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    so im not seeing it at any of my local stores. Would a 40 watt work? the bulbs ive always replaced are 17 watts i believe. the only 32 watt im finding at homedepot says its for 3-4 lamps.
    It will say on it if it will work for F17 bulbs, I don't think it will. The 4 bulb ballast will not work.

If you use Amazon you can get it for the same price as Menards.

Screenshot_2023-07-18-15-44-29-335~2.jpeg

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    It will say on it if it will work for F17 bulbs, I don't think it will. The 4 bulb ballast will not work.

If you use Amazon you can get it for the same price as Menards.

View attachment 287999
    I needed a quick fix so I ran to home depot with a print out of your menards recommendations. The girl gave me one and told me it would work just have a little more juice. As im walking to the checkout i start looking at it and its not even rated for a t8 bulb and the watts range were 60+ maybe it would of worked but it was 40 bucks so i put it back and found this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips...orescent-Replacement-Ballast-520411/205714359 its in and is working

my only question now is since the 2ft is daisy chained to the 4ft for power and ground I didnt have enough length in wire to mount it were the previous ballast was. I ended up just backing out a case mounting screw/washer and locking it down that way. Its only secured on one side. Its not going anywhere but there is a ground or neutral idk (green) wire connected to the fluorescent case. Im just making an assumption here that the metal ballast touching the metal of the fluorescent case and having the screw washer holding it down is safe and grounded. Maybe im completely overthinking this and its just there to hold the ballast up if its hanging upside down. idk just want to make sure im safe.

Led will probably be in the future just needed to get some light in my kitchen quickly.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    I needed a quick fix so I ran to home depot with a print out of your menards recommendations. The girl gave me one and told me it would work just have a little more juice. As im walking to the checkout i start looking at it and its not even rated for a t8 bulb and the watts range were 60+ maybe it would of worked but it was 40 bucks so i put it back and found this https://www.homedepot.com/p/Philips...orescent-Replacement-Ballast-520411/205714359 its in and is working

my only question now is since the 2ft is daisy chained to the 4ft for power and ground I didnt have enough length in wire to mount it were the previous ballast was. I ended up just backing out a case mounting screw/washer and locking it down that way. Its only secured on one side. Its not going anywhere but there is a ground or neutral idk (green) wire connected to the fluorescent case. Im just making an assumption here that the metal ballast touching the metal of the fluorescent case and having the screw washer holding it down is safe and grounded. Maybe im completely overthinking this and its just there to hold the ballast up if its hanging upside down. idk just want to make sure im safe.

Led will probably be in the future just needed to get some light in my kitchen quickly.
    The green is a ground. Mainly for grounding the metal case so you don't get shocked touching it if it was to have a wire touching it.

The mounting sounds fine. If it starts vibrating just mount it better to stop it.

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    The LED are nice. I wouldn't convert the fixtures you have though. I would remove them and install a receptacle. Then I like this style of LED because they are plug and play when one goes out, and yes led's go out.

Barrina (Pack of 6) LED T5 Shop Light, 3FT, 6500K (Super Bright White), Utility Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, ETL Listed, Corded Electric with Built-in ON/Off Switch https://a.co/d/fMBtiXF

They have different ones, just pick the color light you want and the length and it is super simple.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    The LED are nice. I wouldn't convert the fixtures you have though. I would remove them and install a receptacle. Then I like this style of LED because they are plug and play when one goes out, and yes led's go out.

Barrina (Pack of 6) LED T5 Shop Light, 3FT, 6500K (Super Bright White), Utility Shop Light, Ceiling and Under Cabinet Light, ETL Listed, Corded Electric with Built-in ON/Off Switch https://a.co/d/fMBtiXF

They have different ones, just pick the color light you want and the length and it is super simple.
    I actually have those leds in my garage. They aren’t hardwired I just got one of those bulb outlets and plugged them in so at night or when the garage is closed I can actually see. With those and my 3 fin style led bulbs my garage is incredibly well lit. Only thing I wish is that I had opted for a garage opener that has a motion censored light. That way I could just walk into the garage from the house and have instant light.

Thank you for your help!

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I actually have those leds in my garage. They aren’t hardwired I just got one of those bulb outlets and plugged them in so at night or when the garage is closed I can actually see. With those and my 3 fin style led bulbs my garage is incredibly well lit. Only thing I wish is that I had opted for a garage opener that has a motion censored light. That way I could just walk into the garage from the house and have instant light.

Thank you for your help!
    You must have a newer Chamberlain.

My original Chamberlain from like 10-15 years ago did that. my brand new Q connected one doesnt anymore.
    I was on the phone with tech support trying to figure out why my schedules stopped working*. After we got it running, I mentioned that the new one doesnt do that like the old one.
    "Why doesnt it turn the light on anymore when I break the sensor plane? Is there a setting I can change? That was really helpful."
    "We had to disable that feature due to a design dispute."
    (light came on in my head)
    "ooooh! so a patent issue. "
    "Im not allowed to discuss that. Is there anything else I can help you with?"
    "Ok, no worries, I understand. Have a great day."

So I'm thinking they got called onto the carpet for a patent issue and quickly complied rather than get sued.

*I'm really forgetful due to my ADD. I love how I can schedule alerts when the door is open outside normal hours, and if I still dont close it, it will close itself at 11PM.

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    *I'm really forgetful due to my ADD. I love how I can schedule alerts when the door is open outside normal hours, and if I still dont close it, it will close itself at 11PM.
    I got a opener like that when I replaced our opener in the old house. Rather than use the myq app I was able to register it into our alarm and use it that way and through the alarm app.

In this house, rather than replace the existing openers, when I had the alarm installed, the alarm installer had some liftmaster opener door controls that retro fit to the old openers and connect to a liftmaster bridge that is connected to my router. Set the alerts if I leave the doors open more than a set amount of time, etc. Don't have it auto close but could. Great features.

Top Bottom