• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    Only time I'd be a landlord is if I had lots of cash and only dealt with middle and upper class folks... No low class people for me, no thank you

Orly?? Maybe as law enforcement but as a property manager / support-service person, i'm sure they have their own headaches. Some folks are so used to having subservient sycophants that you might never get any rest. Some of that entitled genre will push for every detail to go exactly their way with no room for reason or compromise.

I believe you earn your cash as a landlord, no matter the socioeconomic strata.

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Only time I'd be a landlord is if I had lots of cash and only dealt with middle and upper class folks... No low class people for me, no thank you

In theory that is great, I feel the same way. The only problem I have found is that when the property is not theirs the socioeconomic class really does not matter. Folks who are better off trash things nearly as often as the rest. If it is not their own property most (not all) could care less.

I currently rent three houses to engineers for Shell Oil. Some are good and others not so good.

rgrimm01

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Sullivan County, IN
    Well, no one has mentioned it yet, but you could install an outlet on the outside of your your house. Seriously, at least they would not have to break in and damage things.

It is not uncommon, when using circular saws, to trip the breaker especially when said breaker is of the 15amp variety and you are using multiple power tools/ compressor on an extension cord stretched over a distance (say 100' on a 14 or 16 gauge cord) . This would require breaking into the house yet again to reset. A 220 circuit will not burn the cords of the tool before trashing the electric motor in the tool (which they would probably sue you for a replacement and win). You can get shocked from a power tool that is double insulated with intact cords if in use while it is raining (what can I say, the deck was minutes from completion-funny story, makes one lift the tool in the air and make a gutteral grrrrr sound....).

1) I would take a swing at the money. Document the usage and present the builder with a bill (pics would be irrefutable). If he balks, take him to small claims court (pics are irrefutable). Time is money ( and your time is valuable as well, but hopefully you would have to do just once and your problem solved ), so he will either pay or have the subs stop. Due to liability concerns, would not offer or fascilitate/allow the electricity to be used.

2) No reputable builder wants a black eye with the BBB, file a complaint.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    Interesting topic.

We were one of the first homes built out here...and SEVERAL times when we were gone, the construction workers would plug in to our outside outlets (instead of using their own generators) or hook up hoses to our spigots. Sometimes we'd come home and find out, sometimes the nearest other established neighbor would tell us, and once they left cords plugged in from our outlets.
    We tracked them down on several occasions and asked them to stop (or at least ask)...didn't stop until there weren't any more places to build near enough to sponge off of us. The builder kept saying "I'll put an end to it"... :rolleyes:
    One of my friends in Ecuador had this problem and they wouldn't stop even though both the site foreman and the builder said they would put a stop to it. When he started confiscating their extension cords after he told them anything left on his property became his property they started plugging into their generators.

Bondhead88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Currently In Toronto
    440 won't hurt someone that's using a tool. The insulation will stand a good bit more than that, in fact most wire is rated to 600V. I've been bit by 440 myself; if you're not in a hand-to-hand position it won't damage you any more than 120 (wakes you the heck up, though). It will, however, burn out things plugged into it. 220 will, but it usually takes a while. I've seen computers run on 220 for days before they died. Desktop calculators died faster.
    Plus now a lot of electronics are designed to run either on 110 or 220, like my laptops, my wife's straightener, her blow dryer. I am seeing drills, circular saws and other things.

LtScott14

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 13, 2008
    Porter County
    Like the cut off the "ends" of the power cord thing. Maybe disect the cord to 5ft lengths
    and disrupt the supply. Mongrel dog in the apt, but could bite someone and be further problems. Trail camera mounted high at an angle to add pics to police report.

trillobite

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Muncie
    I like the breaker idea. Pull all the breakers except the ones for the heaters, and drop those to 10-15 amp breakers. Don't do the 220v into 110v wiring trick, too many legal risks.

Top Bottom