Electronic ear plugs, which one actually does well?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dudley0

Nobody Important
    Rating - 100%
    99   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Grant County
    Just put them on in the den and noticed the sound distortion. First thing I did was try and turn them down, but they were all the way down already. Hoping to get to the range this morning. Will see how bad it is. I only wear plugs because I don't walk around town with muffs on, so I don't feel right wearing them while training.

Hope these are at least decent, otherwise I am out a little and I didn't use Amazon to buy them.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I have a pair of the Walker's Silencers as well, and I am not really a fan. I don't think they attenuate as well as they should, and the clamp down on the sounds seems slower to me than they should (too much sound comes through the electronic part before attenuation). I tried them with a few different ear tips, and never was satisfied with the level of protection either, even without the electronic attenuation. Battery life was horrible (replaceable, not rechargeable), and they drain the battery even when off. You can put a brand new set of batteries in them, leave them turned off for a week, and they are dead even if you never turn them on. In Walker's defence, this is a battery issue, not the ear plug's issue, but nonetheless, it is frustrating to go through so many batteries, especially when the performance (IMHO) is subpar.

I had some custom-fitted ear plugs made, and while I was at it, I decided to get some custom molds for the Walkers. UGH. Total failure.

First off, they stick out of your ear too far when doing this, and secondly, the attenuation was worse, if that is possible.

I still have them in my bag, barely used, but I am in no hurry to put them on.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My Walkers Silencers have been hiding in my go bag for far too long.

Happily, I have made it to the range a few times recently. Glad I remembered to drag out and test the bluetooth plugs.

As far as the bluetooth, I'm pretty happy. I have listened to the GunGuy and Hammer/Nigel on the WIBC stream. This is a great thing, as I often listen to streaming audio, while doing other tasks with my Trekz, bone conduction headset.

As far as ear protection, the plugs seem good for 9mm pistol. Shooting 223 under a shooting range canopy, they are borderline. Maybe not fully ear safe? Maybe good enough for hunting or SHTF possible rifle shots vs continually shooting at the range?

Curious what others think of their Walkers Silencers?

They have an advertised run time of four hours on BT, but twice mine have run out if battery at 2.5 hours. Might be some settings to change?

:dunno:

BlueDrew2

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2021
    Hancock Co
    I've got a set of the proears stealth 28 plugs on the neckband and they do pretty good outdoors but are borderline uncomfortable indoors. I don't know how they compare to some of their higher end models but i've been happy with mine.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Get these:
    You won't be sorry...especially if they are on sale.

They just work.
    The noise cancellation is great...best with the long foam inserts. The audio for hearing an SO/RO at the range is excellent. Separate volume controls for BT and noise cancellation sensativity.

One word of caution, the bluetooth connect to your mobile is great but do not expect awesome sound quality like you would get from $200 Shure earphones.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Get these:
    You won't be sorry...especially if they are on sale.

They just work.
    The noise cancellation is great...best with the long foam inserts. The audio for hearing an SO/RO at the range is excellent. Separate volume controls for BT and noise cancellation sensativity.

One word of caution, the bluetooth connect to your mobile is great but do not expect awesome sound quality like you would get from $200 Shure earphones.
    They must have really improved them. I have a pair of the wired non bluetooth and ANY noise makes the speakers sound like they are overdriven and fuzzy audio.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I just got a pair of wireless earbuds from ISO Tunes, haven't wrung them out yet. Their HQ is in Carmel.
    LOVE their Free earbuds for yardwork. They are awesome. Wasnt a fan of the Caliber earbuds. Their customer service is impressive. Truly outstanding, probably the best I've ever dealt with.

The only real complaint I have is they have no customer service desk at HQ. Even though I have had to do returns that went to HQ, I was told I was not allowed to just stop by to take care of business. I had to mail them across town even though I literally drive right by their offices every couple weeks. Oh well.

Top Bottom