Electronic Hearing Pro - What kinds do you use?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    I've had Howard Leight, Peltor and MSA. One thing I noticed was the quality of the sound reproduction and stereo function was directly related to the cost of the units. I gave the Howard Leight to a relative and sold the Peltors. I am very pleased with the MSA/Sordin I now use exclusively.

EyeCarry

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 10, 2014
    Bloomington
    Those look rather large. How do they do with long gun shooting?
    I haven't used them at the buttstock of a rifle other than once with a 7mm Remington (I think that's right. Felt like a cannon going off in my shoulder) At the steel challenges the PCC's don't bother me at all. Standing next to .45 handguns the blast is more annoying than the report. They are large-ish though.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I use pro ears
    I've had the Dillon brand in the past
    I like them both but they don't like rain or sweat
    Seems like they last about 3 years then they start getting sketchy.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have Howard Leight Impact Sports and Peltor Tactical Sports. I like the much cheaper Howard Leight's better.

I get a weird delay from my Peltor Tactical Sports when shooting steel at 300 and + yards. Misses at that distance sound kind of like hits because of a weird delay in how it feeds me the gunshot's echo off the backstop at those distances.

This created an issue for me in a class when I was spotting for a shooter and calling hits off of the sound of the impact when I now think he was missing and I was just hearing the funky delayed echo.

I have ran both types of electronic ear pro in classes as student and instructor, rain and shine and have used them both at home and work when running loud equipment. Of those two, I prefer the cheaper Peltor Tactical Sports.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Thank you for all of the responses, thus far. I'msure the MSAs are fantastic, but there's no way I can justify $200+ for a set of ear pro. I know there's going to be the obligatory "How much is your hearing worth?" questions. If it's between the MSAs and normal muffs, I'll stick to those.

I have Howard Leight Impact Sports and Peltor Tactical Sports. I like the much cheaper Howard Leight's better.

I get a weird delay from my Peltor Tactical Sports when shooting steel at 300 and + yards. Misses at that distance sound kind of like hits because of a weird delay in how it feeds me the gunshot's echo off the backstop at those distances.

This created an issue for me in a class when I was spotting for a shooter and calling hits off of the sound of the impact when I now think he was missing and I was just hearing the funky delayed echo.

I have ran both types of electronic ear pro in classes as student and instructor, rain and shine and have used them both at home and work when running loud equipment. Of those two, I prefer the cheaper Peltor Tactical Sports.

So, do you prefer the HL or PS?

dusty88

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    United States
    Thanks for the thread. I've been reasonably happy with the Howard Leighs, which are one of the lower cost. For some louder ammo/events, I'll add foam earplugs underneath.

I'm looking a bit more critically for my son, though. He's taking his first 2 day class with us at age 19. He already has tinnitus so I want to be more thoughtful about what he uses.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I think I mentioned my Radians in an older review thread here. I still have them and just wore them for Robert Vogel's 2 day pistol class. They are starting to wear out. The left volume potentiometer is getting scratchy and the sound cuts out occasionally. I wish they had auto-power off because those pots are too easy to bump on and kill the batteries (3 AAA in each ear). I have a set of HL and they work OK but the tone isn't as good. I'm ready to try something else.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    Thanks for the thread. I've been reasonably happy with the Howard Leighs, which are one of the lower cost. For some louder ammo/events, I'll add foam earplugs underneath.

I'm looking a bit more critically for my son, though. He's taking his first 2 day class with us at age 19. He already has tinnitus so I want to be more thoughtful about what he uses.

Totally understand that. My brother was born deaf in one ear. So, when he sent shooting with my dad and me, he wore muffs and a foam plug in his good ear. When you already have hearing problems, you have to protect whatever's left!

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    I know there's going to be the obligatory "How much is your hearing worth?" questions. If it's between the MSAs and normal muffs, I'll stick to those.

Totally understand that. My brother was born deaf in one ear. So, when he sent shooting with my dad and me, he wore muffs and a foam plug in his good ear. When you already have hearing problems, you have to protect whatever's left!
    These two statement kind of contradict one another, as wearing inferior muffs can lead to hearing damage. The MSA muffs offer true noise reduction, and safety as opposed to lesser brands. To each their own, but speaking from experience with hearing loss due to cheap assed .gov ear pro, do your future a favor and come off the wallet and buy decent hearing protection. This goes for eyepro too, Oakley has saved my eyesight more than once, no Walmart “safety/shooting glasses for me.

CraigAPS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 26, 2016
    Muncie
    These two statement kind of contradict one another, as wearing inferior muffs can lead to hearing damage. The MSA muffs offer true noise reduction, and safety as opposed to lesser brands. To each their own, but speaking from experience with hearing loss due to cheap assed .gov ear pro, do your future a favor and come off the wallet and buy decent hearing protection. This goes for eyepro too, Oakley has saved my eyesight more than once, no Walmart “safety/shooting glasses for me.

I understand wearing substandard hearing pro will lead to hearing loss/damage. That's why I said, if it's between the MSAs or my current passive ear pro, I'd stick with the passive. I was just researching electronic as I would like to be able to hold a conversation with other shooters on the range without taking off my hearing pro, thereby putting myself into a situation that's even more likely to damage my hearing. My current ear pro have a good NRR (I do understand that that rating is not the end all be all of effectiveness and I did read the link that Dean Crail posted about the MSA NRR being off, to say the least) and they fit comfortably and tightly. I also worry about my sight and wear ballistic eye pro. I'm honestly not sure of the brand right now, but they are not "Walmart" safety glasses.

I will add, if I were shooting 2-3K rounds a month or more, or if I were getting into competitions, I would not hesitate to get the MSAs.

Last edited:

masterdekoy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Feb 12, 2013
    Columbus
    I like the HL impact sports, but will usually double up with foam plugs as well. You can turn the volume up on the electronic muffs so you can still hear conversations, and the double protection will effectively protect against SBRs or other really loud rifles.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    Thank you for all of the responses, thus far. I'msure the MSAs are fantastic, but there's no way I can justify $200+ for a set of ear pro. I know there's going to be the obligatory "How much is your hearing worth?" questions. If it's between the MSAs and normal muffs, I'll stick to those.

So, do you prefer the HL or PS?

lol, sorry.

I prefer the Howard Leight Impact Sports.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Due to my extensive hearing loss on one side, I'm EXTREMELY careful with what hearing I still have. I started off with a pair of Peltors, and they were great. Picked up a pair of HL's for backup, and they were even better. Then I bought a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X w/ LED & gel seals (https://srstactical.com/msa-sordin-...eadband-cover-camo-cups-and-gel-earseals.html) with my HSA account (and Doc's recommendation). All I can say is wow. The sound quality is incredible in comparison to the others. I actually prefer to wear them when hunting, because I can hear details that I can't with my naked ears. And I was shocked at how often I use the LED, especially when packing up my gear in poor lighting conditions after a long day of hunting or shooting. I don't wear my Motorola shoulder mic that often at work anymore, but it's a really cool feature for those that do and works great. The only modification I've made to them is installing an SOE Peltor wrap to them. The factory wrap is good enough, but the SOE one is fantastic.

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    Due to my extensive hearing loss on one side, I'm EXTREMELY careful with what hearing I still have. I started off with a pair of Peltors, and they were great. Picked up a pair of HL's for backup, and they were even better. Then I bought a pair of MSA Sordin Supreme Pro-X w/ LED & gel seals (https://srstactical.com/msa-sordin-...eadband-cover-camo-cups-and-gel-earseals.html) with my HSA account (and Doc's recommendation). All I can say is wow. The sound quality is incredible in comparison to the others. I actually prefer to wear them when hunting, because I can hear details that I can't with my naked ears. And I was shocked at how often I use the LED, especially when packing up my gear in poor lighting conditions after a long day of hunting or shooting. I don't wear my Motorola shoulder mic that often at work anymore, but it's a really cool feature for those that do and works great. The only modification I've made to them is installing an SOE Peltor wrap to them. The factory wrap is good enough, but the SOE one is fantastic.

Pretty sums up how I feel about the MSA's the sound and noise reduction on them is amazing, its like I can hear better wearing them the electronics are so good. +1 on the SOE wrap as well.

Grelber

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 7, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    Sordin. Buy once, cry once.

Foam didn't hold up on my first pair, replaced it, then the electronics went bonkers, bought them again but next time it will be something in the $60 range because for pistol shooting I am not feeling any love to justify the extra cost. Also changing batteries is a bit finicky and the NRR is not anything special.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Just bought a set of Peltor Rangeguard. Have yet to try them out other than in the house. Can carry on a normal conversation yet a loud hand clap is at the same level.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    MSA/Sordins And SOE headwraps are a match made in heaven.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Foam didn't hold up on my first pair, replaced it, then the electronics went bonkers, bought them again but next time it will be something in the $60 range because for pistol shooting I am not feeling any love to justify the extra cost. Also changing batteries is a bit finicky and the NRR is not anything special.
    Do some research on NRR, and you’ll find that MSA is one of the best in real noise reduction.

Top Bottom