• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgressley2003

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2011
    Miami County
    I'm happy with my Chargemaster. Natchez was the cheapest I could find a couple years ago, I paid $289 plus bought a few items to qualify for the $50 rebate. Now its cheaper and the rebate is better!

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I just purchased and received a set of certified analytical check weights that come from the Scientific Research Industry to check my scales. (The company that makes these is Troemner, BTW.)

To be honest, I am pretty blown away at how accurate the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and 5-0-5 scales are, especially at the lower weights. I have always heard that the electronic scales like the Chargemaster are not as accurate at the lower weights. I can only speak for my Chargemaster and not for the world, but I have to say it is pretty much dead nuts on all the way down to 0.1g (notice that is grams, not grains). I have smaller check weights in the kit than that, but that is as low as the unit is spec'ed for, so that is as low as I tried.

I tried combinations of different weights, lots of permutations and combinations, and found that the lower weights (below 20 grams) were dead nuts on, and the higher weights (50 grams and above) were either right on, or within 0.1 grams.

I was impressed.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I just purchased and received a set of certified analytical check weights that come from the Scientific Research Industry to check my scales. (The company that makes these is Troemner, BTW.)

To be honest, I am pretty blown away at how accurate the RCBS Chargemaster 1500 and 5-0-5 scales are, especially at the lower weights. I have always heard that the electronic scales like the Chargemaster are not as accurate at the lower weights. I can only speak for my Chargemaster and not for the world, but I have to say it is pretty much dead nuts on all the way down to 0.1g (notice that is grams, not grains). I have smaller check weights in the kit than that, but that is as low as the unit is spec'ed for, so that is as low as I tried.

I tried combinations of different weights, lots of permutations and combinations, and found that the lower weights (below 20 grams) were dead nuts on, and the higher weights (50 grams and above) were either right on, or within 0.1 grams.

I was impressed.
    I'm impressed. I just have the Lyman check weight set.

Doublehelix

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 20, 2015
    Westfield
    I'm impressed. I just have the Lyman check weight set.

Funny you say that, as I have been trying to buy the Lyman set for what seems like forever, and it is out of stock and back-ordered everywhere. I had an order pending at Amazon going for so long that they finally cancelled it.

The Troemner kit is pretty awesome, and comes with a certificate of calibration. It costs a lot more than the Lyman kit, and to be honest, the Lyman would have been fine for what I need it for, but I just couldn't get it. I have a friend that got it for at a great price, so I actually made out pretty well on the deal.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    FWIW- Looks like RCBS introduced a Chargemaster Light at SHOT...

RCBS Introduces Chargemaster Lite - 2017 SHOT Show - The Truth About Guns

Also, take a look at this guy... It may be pricey but interesting...

Automatic Powder Trickler - Auto Trickler

[video=youtube;XKthD2b6da8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKthD2b6da8[/video]
    The dude who says he doesn't save money reloading is not in my world. I just saw some .44 Rem. Mag. ammo at a local big box for $40.00/ box of 50. My reloads don't even cost $10.00 per box. 50 rounds of premium match .223 costs around $42.00. My same loads run less than half that. I won't even go into .45 ACP match ammo and my equivalent loads. I don't know what this guy is smoking, but he's on another planet. I will confess that I've been loading for many years and long ago amortized the expense of my equipment. Much of my brass was obtained for free. I also used to shoot a lot, so this may not apply to those who don't shoot very much.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    The dude who says he doesn't save money reloading is not in my world. I just saw some .44 Rem. Mag. ammo at a local big box for $40.00/ box of 50. My reloads don't even cost $10.00 per box. 50 rounds of premium match .223 costs around $42.00. My same loads run less than half that. I won't even go into .45 ACP match ammo and my equivalent loads. I don't know what this guy is smoking, but he's on another planet. I will confess that I've been loading for many years and long ago amortized the expense of my equipment. Much of my brass was obtained for free. I also used to shoot a lot, so this may not apply to those who don't shoot very much.

Agree 100%. Plus you're dialing in 'your' loads with 'your' recipes to 'your' gear.

:yesway:

noylj

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2011
    At least 5 years ago my son picked up a box of 20 .44 Rem Mag for $49.99. I almost had a heart attack.
    Back in 2004, I tried to answer the question "can you save money by reloading" and found:
    For 9x19, using virgin cases and premium bullets, American Eagle 115gn JHP was 29 cents/round.
    Starline virgin cases were 13 cents/case, Remington 115gn JHP were 10 cents/bullt, Remington 1 1/1 small pistol primers were 3 cents/primer, and 5.0gn of 231 powder was 1.2 cents/round, for 27.2 cents/round compared to 29 cents/round for factory. Of course, when the cases are reloaded, the price drops to 14.2 cents/round. At that time, I could also buy MG, PD, and Zero JHPs for about 7 cents/bullet, so the cost would be 11.2 cents/round or cast for about 6 cents/round 94 10.2 cents/round, or even cast my own for about 4.2 cents/round, plus cost of electricity for smelting and casting and some small amount of LLA.
    So, even my premium reload, after the first firing of the cases at 14.2 cents/round was cheaper than Brown Bear at 19 cents/round.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    At least 5 years ago my son picked up a box of 20 .44 Rem Mag for $49.99. I almost had a heart attack.
    Back in 2004, I tried to answer the question "can you save money by reloading" and found:
    For 9x19, using virgin cases and premium bullets, American Eagle 115gn JHP was 29 cents/round.
    Starline virgin cases were 13 cents/case, Remington 115gn JHP were 10 cents/bullt, Remington 1 1/1 small pistol primers were 3 cents/primer, and 5.0gn of 231 powder was 1.2 cents/round, for 27.2 cents/round compared to 29 cents/round for factory. Of course, when the cases are reloaded, the price drops to 14.2 cents/round. At that time, I could also buy MG, PD, and Zero JHPs for about 7 cents/bullet, so the cost would be 11.2 cents/round or cast for about 6 cents/round 94 10.2 cents/round, or even cast my own for about 4.2 cents/round, plus cost of electricity for smelting and casting and some small amount of LLA.
    So, even my premium reload, after the first firing of the cases at 14.2 cents/round was cheaper than Brown Bear at 19 cents/round.
    Yeah and your ammo is better than Brown Bear and a lot of other brands. Those of us who have been at it for decades have scrounged components, been given components and bought components on sale. I've loaded 9mm with brass I was given, powder I was given, and bullets that I was given. The only cost to me was the cost of primers and my time. You just can't get too much better than that. The good thing about reloading equipment retains value, so when I'm too old to load, I'll recoup some of my investment (which I already amortized). If one shoots often then getting an electronic scale (keeping on topic) will pay off in ease of loading and accuracy in the long run.

Gyro

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    I looked at numerous forums and comments from many users before buying my RCBS. The RCBS has a good following as well as numerous little tweaks that can be done to personalize the dispenser to meet your needs. The RCBS is a little more expensive than some others but having learned the hard way in the past, "You will usually get what you pay for".

Markus

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    Indianapolis
    I too am a fan of the RCBS. Normally I get 2-4 out of 50 that do not dispense the weight I have set and can live with that. Like the counter that lets me keep track too.

Top Bottom