• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sp3worker

Expert
    Rating - 96.8%
    30   1   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I killed my bull a couple years ago with a cheap 180gr Remington Corelokt out of my .300 Win Mag. Also several antelope and mule deer, same load. You don't need a premium bullet to drop an elk, shot placement matters a lot more.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    I killed my bull a couple years ago with a cheap 180gr Remington Corelokt out of my .300 Win Mag. Also several antelope and mule deer, same load. You don't need a premium bullet to drop an elk, shot placement matters a lot more.

Of course shot placement is the single most important factor, but there are indeed some bullets that are designed for much smaller game, and others that are just not well constructed to penetrate and expand properly on elk or other 600+ lbs game.
    The Corelokt has a long-established record for holding together well, even though certainly not a premium bullet as such.
    What a premium (high quality bonded lead/copper, partition/A-frame, or expanding solid copper alloy) bullet does is make it more likely that you'll get good performance, particularly on bigger game or when difficult shooting conditions (longer range, unusual angles) are encountered, taking much of the guesswork out of bullet selection.
    Ideal performance for a big game bullet is for it to penetrate at least through the hide before fully expanding, with the jacket and core staying together once it fully expands about 50%-100%, then exiting.
    It's also worth mention that economizing on ammo for hunting, especially an expensive guided hunt that would be the norm for going for elk or moose or bear, seems silly when you'll more than likely need probably a dozen or so rounds to sight in and establish group size, then one to three rounds for the quarry.
    There are plenty of other bullets out there that cost far less for target shooting to enjoy, when cost of ammo is more of a viable concern.
    Just MNSHO.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    So, I think he is getting overwhelmed as I email him your recommendations/experiences and hand him my gun magazines. What is probably going to happen is (he comes up to the Valpo Gun Show both times each year, and we have a Bass Pro, LGS, and Cabela's here). I anticipate the gun show will not include the purchase of ammo, + since Bass Pro is really proud of their stock, Cabela's will be the purchase place. When I was there last, there were only 4 180 gr. options. If you are bored, intrigued, and/or all-in to this man's fun, Cabela's online is pretty much a reflection of shelf stock at the Hammond store. Thank you to all who have contributed. Much appreciated. The old Naval veteran can still handle a rifle quite well. He's just looking for an edge.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have put a few elk in the freezer over the years. I have used .270, 308, 7mm mag, and 300 win mag. I fed all either Nosler partition, or other bonded core bullets. Elk are big tough animals. Shot placement is as important as bullet or caliber. I have never had to trail a wounded elk because I have never taken a marginal shot. The farthest any of my elk traveled after shot was 50 yards. Even the .308 shot elk went down within a few yards. I limit my range to 500 yards with the 300 win mag and 300 yards with the .308. By the way, tell your dad to make sure he shoots his elk where he can get a truck or horse easily. I have packed out a couple elk from the high country. Not my idea of fun. As a matter of fact, I now hunt only where carcass extraction is easier. Hauling out elk quarters on one's back is a young man's game. Luck to your dad.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Dad called and finally made a decision:
    Barnes Vor-tx
    .30-06
    180 grain
    2,700 fps
    Bullet: TTSX

Found out his buddy is pretty established, so I am feeling pretty optimistic on his hunt: Seely Hunting
    Time will tell if he follows through with getting in better shape. He has contacted an acquaintance to see if he can actually mount and dismount a horse. I haven't seen that in about 30 years.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Update:
    We got his rifle's scope all sighted in. Now some trigger time. His range is 150 yds. max.
    He also actually got up on a horse on the 1st try! A few more times of practice when he visits my sister's neighbor are on the schedule.
    Ramping up exercise...well...he officially retires 6/30 and I was told that is when the exercise will increase. :rolleyes:

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    That's a great ammo choice.
    As long as your dad finds an elk within range and does his part, he's bound to have antlers and the finest venison available.
    Good luck to him!

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Kudos to him for establishing what his effective distance is! I hate to hear all the stories from the outfitters about morons who are willing to take wildly unrealistic shots.

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    Kudos to him for establishing what his effective distance is! I hate to hear all the stories from the outfitters about morons who are willing to take wildly unrealistic shots.

Exactly
    An ethical hunter determines what his capabilities are, then stays within them, out of respect for his quarry.

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    205 yards at a 45°angle downhill. Drop elevation is hard to practice in Indiana. 1st shot was called 6" high. 2nd shot blew out the heart. Meat donated. Cape and such shipped to his local taxidermist. IDK elk had ivory teeth. He is planning on taking those and making a custom piece of jewelry for Mom. Thanks all for the input in this hunt helping making it a success! Safe to say Barnes was a winner.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Great for him! High angle shots are indeed tough to practice. Glad he was able to get out there and have a successful hunt!

Ballstater98

Certified Bro Shark
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 18, 2015
    NWI
    Side note: Dad met some hunters from Louisiana that stayed in his cabin. He asked if they knew the guys from Swamp People. They said they did and also laughed explained what was real and fake. Those 10'ers you see are purchased from farms and placed for the show confirming what everyone suspected.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Isn't 45 degree shot a 70% deal?
    200 yards should then be 140.
    Thought the old O'conner (or Carmichael book) said div by 1.4

3" high at 100 shoulda been dead on at 200. So I'm not getting the shot going 6" high from anything other than shooter variable or aiming point.

Dead elk is certainly good enough :)

Top Bottom