• teknickle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    God's Country
    data

savage in 300win would be a good way to go

My buddy is selling his Savage99 (chambered in 300 savage) to buy a 1911 style pistol. I was considering trading out my 30/30 Winchester for a similar deal. But I digress.

Here is a chart you might find handy...

ammo_compare.gif

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I chose the 7mm remington ultra mag for my big game gun. Kinda wish I would have gone with a 300 win mag or a 338. 7mm remington ultra mag is just a kinda "out there" caliber. Not real common... but it does beat the pants off a LOT of 30 caliber rifles. Nice kick to it lol.

kolob10

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    77   0   0
    Nov 28, 2008
    Beautiful Southern Indiana
    I have taken many elk. I have used .308 Win, 7MM mag, .270 Win, 44mag pistol, 300 Win mag. All were one shot kills from 50 yards to 275 yards. I have a friend who has taken all his elk with 30-30 head shots. He has hunted for 50 years and seen no reason to use any other gun. He is a hunter not a shooter.

Indyal

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Go with caliber you can shoot quickly and reliably. I will assume you will only be hunting for a week or so. I would use a heavy weight rifle you can shoot well, meaning "minute of elk" at appropriate distance. I have taken 6 elk at distances of 45 yards to about 260 yards, all one shot kills with a .300 win mag and 6x scope. My rig weighs almost 10 lbs with scope and sling but any shot I have taken at an elk has been a good shot. Four of these shots have been standing, one of them on a downed tree I had stepped on to see above the brush. I am telling you this not to say I am a good shot but rather to tell you that with most elk hunting, the shots will have to be taken quickly, if at all. On my last elk hunt, I had stepped onto a rocky ledge to glass across the valley, heard a clunk, and looked down at a massive 6 x6 40 yards below me, I am guessing( he was looking up at me through pines), I had a shot angle but only for a second or two before he swapped ends and crashed through very thick pines. My experiencing have not been like the TV shows where someone has time to set up shooting sticks, etc.

Have fun, and get in great shape, altitude and steep slopes really work you over.

dross

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Monument, CO
    Elk are a lot tougher now then when I was a kid. When I was a kid, lots of people hunted them with a .270 or a 30-30. Now that they've gotten so darn tough to kill, you need at least a 300 win mag with perfect shot placement, but a 338 win mag would be better, and a .375 H&H is about perfect.

Just don't tell all those trophy elk that were killed with a .270 back in the day.

Seriously, growing up in Colorado, I grew up in a .270 household. In those days, in my house, only a Neanderthal, a cretin, or a guided hunter from east of the Mississip' used a 30-06 or bigger.

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN
    i got a elk in 2000. i used a 300 wby, mkv accumark. if i was doing it again id use the 300 wby again. at 438 yds the elk dropped in its tracks

That's good to know since I have a Mark V Deluxe just taking up space in my safe. I've been telling myself that it would make a good Elk rifle someday.

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I bought a winchester 70 in the .300 win mag at walmart like 5 years ago and it is one of my favorite rifles...it is my straight big game gun when i hunt up north in Michigan...i think i got it on sale for like 300 bucks and the bullets i use are like a dollar a shot so not to bad.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I bought a winchester 70 in the .300 win mag at walmart like 5 years ago and it is one of my favorite rifles...it is my straight big game gun when i hunt up north in Michigan...i think i got it on sale for like 300 bucks and the bullets i use are like a dollar a shot so not to bad.

cant beat that.

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    Must.. get.. 50... posts...

Seriously. This thread is a solid year old.

ya i just noticed i posted in this a year ago. oh well atleast the elk didn't get bigger and the shot longer in the last year like alot of hunting stories do over time.

next year mabye the shot will be from 700yds instid of 438 and there will be a 40-50mph crosswind:D

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I have pondered what would be good for this application or maybe for antelope. I am new to the high powered rifle game. But what do you guys thinks about this idea. If I've got a Mosin with a synthetic stock and a decent scope, using winchester 180gr soft point ammo would it be just as good as a 30-06? Just something I have been considering. I'm not sure that I will ever have the opportunity to go on such a hunt, I don't want to spend a fortune on a gun. It would primarily be a range gun. Thoughts?

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    I have pondered what would be good for this application or maybe for antelope. I am new to the high powered rifle game. But what do you guys thinks about this idea. If I've got a Mosin with a synthetic stock and a decent scope, using winchester 180gr soft point ammo would it be just as good as a 30-06? Just something I have been considering. I'm not sure that I will ever have the opportunity to go on such a hunt, I don't want to spend a fortune on a gun. It would primarily be a range gun. Thoughts?

no i dont think it would be near as good a gun. i know mosins have a huge following and im sure im going to get flamed for this but they dont have the accuracy needed to shoot game very far away reliabably.

say a pronghorn has a 4 inch kill zone. say the mosin is a 2 moa gun. that means 200 yds would be your max range.

if you are looking for a cheap hunting/range gun look into the stevens 200 in a 30 cal. you can get a scoped rifle for 350ish

WLW

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Fishers, IN

I like the cartridge quite a bit and it would make a great hog gun!!! Close range and you are probably fine on an Elk, but unless you've had the gun accurized it would probably disappoint you at long range. Also, some outfitters require certain caliber guns no-matter-what because their reputation is built on your ability to kill an animal. I'm guessing they'd frown on that one... (just guessing). If you're on your own then that wouldn't be a concern.

Top Bottom