• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThoughPolice

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2010
    Just picked up the Elkhart 4H fair brochure and I have a few questions about it.
    First couple lines in the rules section state no weapons; I was under the impression Indiana County and City parks/buildings could not restrict the carry of handguns (with License). That being said how can the Elkhart County 4H Fair not allow concealed/open carry?

Thank you

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Just picked up the Elkhart 4H fair brochure and I have a few questions about it.
    First couple lines in the rules section state no weapons; I was under the impression Indiana County and City parks/buildings could not restrict the carry of handguns (with License). That being said how can the Elkhart County 4H Fair not allow concealed/open carry?

Thank you

I believe this was discussed on here before a few times. It is not city or county government. It is a private organization doing business on private property. So they can make any rules they want as to carrying guns there.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Preemption would only apply if the fair took place on county property AND was run by the county. If the fair grounds are leased by the 4H they can set any rules that they choose. Still not illegal to carry, but if ask to leave and you don't you could be charged with trespass.

ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    When do they have shooting events?

Are you talking about the cowboy riding matches, where they pop baloons with blanks? Because the 4H shooting sports clubs never practiced or held any events there beck when I was a 4H member. All of our shooting was done at private shooting clubs many miles away from the fair grounds.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013

Thank you
    Doesn't hold weight of law but it'd be best to conceal.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013

Thank you

They are allowed to make their own rules but they are just that: Their own rules. It is not law. You are fine to carry there although I would keep it concealed because they could kick you out.

In Indiana any sign, no matter the wording, that restricts guns holds no weight of law in Indiana unless it is already a "mass-kill zone" (also known as a gun-free zone) per law.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    4H is a private group with public ties. (Property is private)I posted this same question a year or two ago. Every other event seems to leave firearms alone, but this one specifically says no weapons allowed. Concealed there just fine with no issues. I think some of the sheriffs deputies there gave me a knowing smirk and nod.

If asked to leave, do so. But just make sure you aren't printing bad and there shouldn't be an issue.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Note:

This thread is about Elkhart Co specifically...

There are 91 other counties in Indiana. The exact scenario for those other county fairs CAN BE DIFFERENT. There are different agreements between ownership of the various grounds and etc. Should be a county-by-county deal. Of course, two or three different scenarios will probably cover all of those 92 counties.

Big Note: The Indiana State Fair, at the State Fair Grounds, carry IS prohibited via the Indiana Administrative Code - not the Indiana Code. Not really any penalty defined (if I can remember from previous threads), but it's still verboten. (Just during the Fair)

-J-

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Note:

This thread is about Elkhart Co specifically...

There are 91 other counties in Indiana. The exact scenario for those other county fairs CAN BE DIFFERENT. There are different agreements between ownership of the various grounds and etc. Should be a county-by-county deal. Of course, two or three different scenarios will probably cover all of those 92 counties.

Big Note: The Indiana State Fair, at the State Fair Grounds, carry IS prohibited via the Indiana Administrative Code - not the Indiana Code. Not really any penalty defined (if I can remember from previous threads), but it's still verboten. (Just during the Fair)

-J-

Yea. I think I read before that if you are caught with a gun (and you have a LTCH) at the State Fair they just confiscate it. Of course, no one here wants to have their gun confiscated.

jacobsen22

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2013
    my answer it to boycott places like the 4H Fair, Buffalo Wild Wings, Toys R Us. anywhere there is a no carry rule in place i do not go there for any reason! just like this year instead of the 4H Fair my family and I went to Bremen for there Fireman's Festival

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    my answer it to boycott places like the 4H Fair, Buffalo Wild Wings, Toys R Us. anywhere there is a no carry rule in place i do not go there for any reason! just like this year instead of the 4H Fair my family and I went to Bremen for there Fireman's Festival
    Yeah awesome, but if your kids are in 4H what do you do? Or better yet what if your kid is in the shooting and marksmanship activity?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.

You clearly have not been to the Elkhart Co. fair tractor/truck pulls...

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    just like this year instead of the 4H Fair my family and I went to Bremen for there Fireman's Festival

Your poor kids.:(

Just kidding. I took the wife there for date night. She's putty in my hands if I take her to Bounthanh's for egg rolls and fried rice.:cool:

You didn't miss anything at the St. Joe Co Fair anyways. They are trying hard to run it into the ground.

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013

My answer is to just do what I always do: conceal and ignore. Who knows, you might be the only person capable of stopping a mass-killing at one of these locations someday. Look at it as a "call of duty" :popcorn:

Top Bottom