• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    Last June, I purchased a CPO Sig P226 from Elmore's, and asked at the time of purchase if they had a set of tritium night sights that would fit this pistol. They indicated so, and (Jason, I later learned his name) installed a set of TruGlo's, front and rear. (I later confirmed with Jahred at 21st Century that the model number on the TruGlo sights were indeed the correct ones to fit the Sig 226.)

My first time out to the range, the front sight popped completely out of the dovetail. I took it back to Elmore's. Long story short, I've had the thing back down there six times since June.

My experience deteriorated with each subsequent visit as I tried to get the front sight securely fixed and centered. With every visit, Jason progressively gouged the dovetails worse and worse, to the point that it looked like somebody had been hammering at them with a screwdriver (on both sides of the dovetail). Regardless of the number of attempts, the front sight would never stay centered the dovetails became more damaged with each visit.

Worse, I found (or believed) that employees there were lying to me, or at best confusing me with some other customer whose gun they'd damaged, and definitely taking this customer's intelligence for granted. Examples:

After I'd moved the rear sights as far as they could go to one side as I tried to compensate at the range for a misaligned front sight, I took the gun back down to Elmore's and was told, "Oh yeah... it's pretty normal for rear sights to be way off center. Sometimes they hang off the side like saddle bags."

Another vist.... Jason: "You were the one who told me to peg the front sight on there." Me: "Jason, I couldn't have told you to 'peg the sight' because I don't even know what 'peg the sight' means. I'm standing here now and still don't know what that means."

At visit #5, after previous visits dealing with Jason and other guys behind the counter, I approached Russ, introduced myself, and showed the gun to him. Looking at the dovetail, he acknowledged that his shop had "not done me any favors" and even pointed out how he believe his guys had used incorrect settings on their sight pusher, which damaged the dovetail. He offered to send the thing back to Sig to get it fixed. (I'd written about this previously in this subforum https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/local_gun_shops/7154-elmores_firearms_greenwood-4.html#post751524, with high praise for Elmore's taking accountability for their workmanship and willingness to make it right.) However, when the thing came back from Sig, it did so with paperwork saying that Sig declined to fix it because the sights were aftermarket. Jason's solution was to jam a larger sight into the dovetail and blu over the gouged dovetail to make it look better. And even then, the thing was not centered.

Heading to Elmore's a sixth time and calling ahead to see if Russ would be there to give it one more try at getting the problem resolved, I had an employee tell me that Russ was out and that he'd be out for at least a week. "You can talk to Jason," the fellow said. Good. So I'm going to talk to Jason.

As I'm driving, I talk to Jason and recap the high points (recalling that this was the fellow who'd said "you told me to peg the front sight"). I was therefore not totally surprised as I listened to him tell a story that went something like: "When you bought that gun, I told you that those sights were the wrong ones and you didn't want to wait for me to order the right ones so you told me to put those sights on there even though I told you they weren't the right ones." I told him that I wasn't sure if he was thinking of some other customer. I told him that I'd worked with xxxxxx, and that I'd asked for night sights that would fit this gun, and these were the sights HE installed. I told him we couldn't have had that conversation because he and I had never spoken until the fourth time I came into the shop. I told him I'd be there before they closed and we could work it out.

I was again surprised when I walked into Elmore's a half hour later to find the owner behind the counter, even though the employee on the phone said he'd be out for a week.

I approached Russ, reintroduced myself, shook hands, and asked if he recalled this gun and the issues we were having and that we'd sent this gun back to Sig. (Non-confrontational. Not angry. Just a customer wanting good service and repair of damage that this shop had caused.) His response was: "Yeah? What's your complaint NOW?"

My complaint?

So that's it. I read in another long thread that others were reporting "marred" sights installed at Elmore's. I wanted to share this experience, but did not want to participate in that other thread.

I understand that other folks have had good experiences at Elmore's. I'll be making my future purchases elsewhere.

Last edited:

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow! I am very sorry to hear about your problems. That would be very frustrating and you are handling it much better than I would be. Thanks for sharing.

musclecarr

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 11, 2010
    Owen County
    I.ve been there twice. I'll never go back. Very rude people working behind the counter. Prices are too high. They lack knowledge of their firearms, and they will lie to ya to make a buck!

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield
    I've been there three times and made one modest purchase. The first two times I was treated like a celebrity.

The last time, which will probably be the last time, not so well. Plus, the guy had me dry firing a revolver (I was looking for one for my wife), which I later found out is not a good idea. So, if you buy a revolver from there, it could be damaged before you even own it.

I only know of one difference in those three visits: the first two times I was on my lunch hour and was wearing my ID from a large pharmaceutical company in town. The last time I was sans ID and just looked like any other old fat guy cruising the store.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    "...the guy had me dry firing a revolver (I was looking for one for my wife), which I later found out is not a good idea. So, if you buy a revolver from there, it could be damaged before you even own it.

Not defending Elmore's...I've always been treated decent in there.

BUT, dry firing = damage all depends on the revolver.

If it's a more modern one with a transfer bar, like my GP100, dry fire 5000 times a day will be just fine.

An older revolver with the FP on the hammer itself = bad juju.

-J-

rmcrob

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2008
    Plainfield

If it's a more modern one with a transfer bar, like my GP100, dry fire 5000 times a day will be just fine.

I don't know much about revolvers. I just know that another dealer didn't want me to dry fire the same model because it was supposedly bad for it.

Thanks for the good info.

mospeada

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sorry to hear about a damaged firearm. Sounds like you need to buy another slide at this point, which is expensive, but I doubt you'd get the shop to pay for it at this point.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Not defending Elmore's...I've always been treated decent in there.

-J-

I've always been treated more than decently in there as well. I'm looking at the trijicons they installed in my M&P 45c and no dings or problems.

I've seen them get cranky and I've heard some mighty off-color things but nothing earth shattering.

I've also seen Russ give an old guy a couple of hundred dollars MORE than he was asking for some shotguns he was wanting to sell simply because the guy was a decent fellow and had significantly undervalued them.

I know George pisses people off by recommending 9mm over 40, but I'm of the opinion that if that bothers you, you are way to excitable.

They have also been more than fair in helping me out with malfunction problems free of charge, even on stuff I bought elsewhere, and they never gave me a gouge offer on a trade like Gander Mtn does as a matter of policy.

Is it a perfect place, no; but IMO it is far better than some people around here are representing and they will continue to get my business and I will continue to recommend them.

Joe

CW9

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 22, 2009
    Greenwood
    I have been there a few times to look at a new Glock and an XD. I am young and look it too. Only being 23. most shops will treat me like i know nothing and will try to sell me less than adequate firearms.

I must say though that every time I am in there they have been very nice and more than willing to come down on prices. they have the prices set high, and all I had to do was so how much to get it out the door. the glock I was looking at when from 565 down to 475 instantly. I also got some magpul AR mags for 13 each.

They are a little rough around the edges and do curse and smoke a lot, but that does not bother me. Its just seems that you have to know what your talking about and the admit defeat and give you the fair price. but we all cant be as lucky as goshen and have a ZX near by.

pathfinder317

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Franklin In
    I went in there once to look at a Kimber , I heard they had a nice selection , so when I went in the guy behind the counter (not Russ) and about 50 ish , I told him I would like to see this Kimber , and he says , "You won't be happy with one of those, there are far better 1911's out there"
    this coming from a guy with a case full of Kimbers , I bought a Kimber that day from another dealer.

IndyMonkey

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    I recently bought a Nighthawk from them. Where else are you going to find someone that stocks a quantity or quality guns?

sheriff125

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    Morgan Co
    i too have bought a few guns from elmores. i have had nothing but good luck with them. prices are a little high but they have always took at least 50 off any gun i bought from there. also are very fair on trade ins.

erbo12

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Greenfield
    My wife and I went into Elmores a couple of weeks ago to look at a gun.The owner was behind the counter slinging the F word around as if he were the only one in the store.There was also a man in there who had his two small children with him. I thought this was very disrespectful to any customer,much less women and children. Needless to say I made two trips at once to Elmores my first and last.

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Way up North
    MGE
    You wonder how they can stay in business conducting business like that.

Not really most people are who#$^ when it comes to buying things and they are the biggest of the w##reS in Indiana that sell guns.

People that buy guns from them are not looking for service they are looking to save 5.00.:rolleyes:
    Elmores
    I recently bought a Nighthawk from them. Where else are you going to find someone that stocks a quantity or quality guns?
    UMMM..... Midwest :D But being the biggest w##res in Indiana they are a bit cheaper:laugh:

Top Bottom