• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Anyone know if the Elwood Conservation Club is accepting new members at this time? Thanks a lot. Looking for a shooting range North of Indy. Inexpensive.

What do you want to shoot?

I'm a member of Elwood(since 2014), it has 10yrd pistol, 25+50 yrd pistol/rifle and 75+100yrd rifle ranges. Also a basic archery range.

There are board members on the property from time to time, but I don't do stupid things, I've never been belittled.

There's no RSO, no NRA membership requirement, no mandatory meeting, no mandatory range work.

I bring my own steel target which I like and I can practice drawing from hostlers.

Most of the time I have the whole range to myself. It has been busy recently just because more people are practicing.

The put in new shooting benches and covers the past couple years and limited the member to 600.

ljk

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    May 21, 2013
    Having recently moved here I'm also looking for a place mostly just to shoot. Elwood is very close and convenient for me, but as noted not taking members. Is the next best outdoor location w/ a 100m range available Fox Prairie?

They open up new membership few times a year, get a hold of the Pres. Joe and put yourself on the waiting list, he's also a member here.

My neighbor just joined last month.

$65 covers you, your spouse and kids under 18, worth it.

eddiehelm

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 8, 2018
    Marion
    If Marion isn’t too far of a drive you should check out Deer Creek. Lots of pistol bays with steel to shoot, a nice 200 yd rifle range, and theres a trap field too.

rhrlaw

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 20, 2020
    Carmel
    They open up new membership few times a year, get a hold of the Pres. Joe and put yourself on the waiting list, he's also a member here.

No waiting list apparently. Just going to have to make sure I check their page frequently.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Can one of you guys with a better memory remind me...if my membership card says JUNE 2022 does that mean I have to renew by June 1, 2022 OR June 30, 2022?

Scuba591

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    Noblesville
    Can one of you guys with a better memory remind me...if my membership card says JUNE 2022 does that mean I have to renew by June 1, 2022 OR June 30, 2022?
    If I am recalling this correctly.... The membership dated June 2022 is good until the end of June 2022. I would get a renewal form and $$ in before the end date to continue using the facility and grounds

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Renewal time again...and I am going to sound like a whiney little bitch (which I can be...) but man, we have to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with our renewal app.

If it wasn't a great club, I'd have to think twice. Maybe I am going to have to go to a meeting and suggest we raise memberships to $70 and buy some stamps and envelopes. :):

21ceba0c-37ad-46dd-bae2-25d1f1bf7a56_screenshot.jpg

Miguel getting his updated membership.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Renewal time again...and I am going to sound like a whiney little bitch (which I can be...) but man, we have to include a self-addressed, stamped envelope with our renewal app.

If it wasn't a great club, I'd have to think twice. Maybe I am going to have to go to a meeting and suggest we raise memberships to $70 and buy some stamps and envelopes. :):

21ceba0c-37ad-46dd-bae2-25d1f1bf7a56_screenshot.jpg

Miguel getting his updated membership.
    One could also just suck it up and attend the monthly meeting and renew then.
    Instant gratification.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I have been a member at both ECC and ACC. (I was at ECC for 3 years. I am a new member at ACC.)

I am much happier at ACC for the following reasons:
    1. There is a hard-core sense of safety at ACC. As a new member it seemed over-the-top...but the rules work and are in place for good reasons.
      (Truth be told, I had a couple of bad habits that have already been broken: like not realizing that I was muzzling my hand inadvertently when re-holstering to my AIWB! Someone called me on it and I don't do this anymore.)
    2. Competition is encouraged at ACC! The club is VERY active in sponsoring IAR, IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Defensive 2 Gun, etc. (While competition is encouraged, it is not required.)
    3. There is an online calendar with updates for events and happenings at the club...they make it easy to see what's going on.
    4. Elwood plays games with membership renewal. I was a member for a couple of years, made donations, etc. I missed renewal by 4 days and was told that they don't care: "There is nothing I can do." Meanwhile at ACC, this can all be accomplished online.
    5. At ECC, there very little communications and no transparency to the members of what is going on behind the scenes. ACC on the otrher hand had monthly board meetings that are open to the members and attendance is encouraged.
      (Attendance via Zoom at present.)
    6. ACC happens to be closer for me.
    7. Everyone seems far friendlier at ACC.
    8. Everyone I have met from other clubs that show up to compete, speak VERY well of ACC.
    9. Etc, etc, etc.

Yes, it is more expensive, but worth every penny to me.

YMMV.

PS. ECC posts directly on the left side of their web page what the status is for new applicants. As of today, the answer is: NO, they are not accepting new applications.

Last edited:

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I have been a member at both ECC and ACC. (I was at ECC for 3 years. I am a new member at ACC.)

I am much happier at ACC for the following reasons:
    1. There is a hard-core sense of safety at ACC. As a new member it seemed over-the-top...but the rules work and are in place for good reasons.
      (Truth be told, I had a couple of bad habits that have already been broken: like not realizing that I was muzzling my hand inadvertently when re-holstering to my AIWB! Someone called me on it and I don't do this anymore.)
    2. Competition is encouraged at ACC! The club is VERY active in sponsoring IAR, IDPA, USPSA, Steel Challenge, Defensive 2 Gun, etc. (While competition is encouraged, it is not required.)
    3. There is an online calendar with updates for events and happenings at the club...they make it easy to see what's going on.
    4. Elwood plays games with membership renewal. I was a member for a couple of years, made donations, etc. I missed renewal by 4 days and was told that they don't care: "There is nothing I can do." Meanwhile at ACC, this can all be accomplished online.
    5. At ECC, there very little communications and no transparency to the members of what is going on behind the scenes. ACC on the otrher hand had monthly board meetings that are open to the members and attendance is encouraged.
      (Attendance via Zoom at present.)
    6. ACC happens to be closer for me.
    7. Everyone seems far friendlier at ACC.
    8. Everyone I have met from other clubs that show up to compete, speak VERY well of ACC.
    9. Etc, etc, etc.

Yes, it is more expensive, but worth every penny to me.

YMMV.

PS. ECC posts directly on the left side of their web page what the status is for new applicants. As of today, the answer is: NO, they are not accepting new applications.
    Thanks for posting this STFU. (I mean your screen name, not what you should do... :): )

I do love ECC. I know it is not as active with competitions as some other clubs, but it has been a great option for my family for almost 15 years now. I'm just grumpy I didn't have enough stamps in the house and had to go sucking up to Grandma Miguel for extra stamps! :D

ECC does have monthly meetings and members are always encouraged to attend. I was treated well the couple of times I attended.

I think it is great that we have so many options north of Indy to shoot different distances and compete if we're inclined to do so. Ranges are like fried chicken and hot chicks at an Independence Day party...there never can be too many!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Thanks for posting this STFU. (I mean your screen name, not what you should do... :): )

I do love ECC. I know it is not as active with competitions as some other clubs, but it has been a great option for my family for almost 15 years now. I'm just grumpy I didn't have enough stamps in the house and had to go sucking up to Grandma Miguel for extra stamps! :D

ECC does have monthly meetings and members are always encouraged to attend. I was treated well the couple of times I attended.

I think it is great that we have so many options north of Indy to shoot different distances and compete if we're inclined to do so. Ranges are like fried chicken and hot chicks at an Independence Day party...there never can be too many!
    With the exception of the renewal process (which is ridiculous), I was not not trying to bash on ECC.
    I will join again when they start accepting applications because I do have several rifles I want to shoot at 100 yards. ECC is great for that.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    With the exception of the renewal process (which is ridiculous), I was not not trying to bash on ECC.
    I will join again when they start accepting applications because I do have several rifles I want to shoot at 100 yards. ECC is great for that.
    Is Elwood a better club now that Kinzinger and Tidler are not in office any longer?
    A few of us left 5? years ago over the silly'ness.

If you would be interested I belong to Alex CC, I can meet you if you would like to see it or shoot there. Its like 8 more miles without all the BS. Plus they have trap ranges.

Top Bottom