• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • warhawk77

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 7, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    Ok so I signed up to win a firearm online and I'm pretty sure they have sold my email because I get this email today from Concealed Rights saying unregistered gun are legal only if I do this .... But it never really tells me what this is. Then it wants me to "claim my free copy of Arm Up System" but never really tells me what that is.

This has all the warning signs in my head of scam or even worse wanting me to sign up all my firearms to keep them safe. But wanted to ask of anyone else has gotten this email.

Chewie

Old, Tired, Grumpy, Skeptical
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Martinsville
    Yep, I get them all the time when I register to win a "Free" anything. I never click on the links, it's all just a scam or a "buy this now" advertisement. I just go to the bottom and "Unsubscribe".

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    You are correct, it is a scam. If its Free, there is a reason. They need your info to make money, otherwise they would not give you the time of day free.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Another bit of unsolicited advice from a geek;

Have a "burner" email account. Or choose a mail provider that allows aliases. Whenever you register for things like Springfield's giveways, and other contests, use that email address, not your real one. That way all the spam collects out of your way. (not in your real mailbox)

My provider allows me to create aliases on the fly and have the messages delivered to specific folders. When an email address gets too gummed up with spam I delete it and start fresh with a new alias. Works beautifully.

And on the flip side, you know that any unsolicited emails that arrive in those other accounts are sold because you never use that address for anything legit.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Not gun-related, but I recently clicked on a Lending Tree link, just out of curiosity because they were pitching low interest rates for 15 year mortgages. Thought if the payment stayed about the same but I was able to shave off a few years it might be worth it. BIG mistake. I bet it wasn't 5 minutes before clicking on the link and giving them my basic information (name, address and phone number) before my phone started ringing and the emails started coming fast and furious. I unsubscribed to all the emails and was able to go back and unsubscribe from all communication from or related to Lending Tree or Quicken loans. For the phone calls I had them put me on their do not call list. Never again! Lending Tree is basically a spam clearing house as far as I'm concerned.

Parrthed

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2016
    Charlestown

Have a "burner" email account. Or choose a mail provider that allows aliases. Whenever you register for things like Springfield's giveways, and other contests, use that email address, not your real one. That way all the spam collects out of your way. (not in your real mailbox)

My provider allows me to create aliases on the fly and have the messages delivered to specific folders. When an email address gets too gummed up with spam I delete it and start fresh with a new alias. Works beautifully.

And on the flip side, you know that any unsolicited emails that arrive in those other accounts are sold because you never use that address for anything legit.

Excellent advice, I did this a while back and it does save a lot of headaches

AngryRooster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Outside the coup

In addition, or maybe a step farther, it's possible to customize your aliases and track who is selling your info. I bought my own domain name and left it as a catch all. You can pound anything on your keyboard in front of my domain name and it will get to me. opiasdugfdoiukwqjehtr@ would be a legit email. I've had it set this way for 4 years now and so far no abuse.

The cool benefit of this is since everything is an email address then I can create things like springfieldgungivaway@ or lendingtree@ instantly without having to set things up first. If they sell my email address then I know exactly who did it, who I need to go back to so I can get it removed from their list, or who to yell at and cancel services from if it comes to that. I can add anything to a block list as needed. After 4 years I only have one address on my block list, that's from Underarmor. They kept sending me stuff several times a day despite me trying to unsubscribe and sending them several mails asking them to stop it.

Filters and rules are your friends as well. I set up a rule that says any email with 'bills' in the address goes into a 'Bills' folder. Create email address of bills-directv@ and set the folder to not notify when new mail arrives. Same thing with bank and finance accounts except I do want notifications from that folder. I can get notified on the important folders while I'm out but the minor stuff won't ring the phone.

It took a while to get set up the way I want it, but now that it's done it's easy to maintain and add to.

Top Bottom