• rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Every rifle/scope is unique.
    Every shooter has a level of ability.
    Every lot of ammo may or may not perform as specified.

4 MoA is a minimum.
    2 MoA is pretty good.
    1 MoA or better is exceptional.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    IMO there's a difference between ignorance and stupidity. I can fix ignorance with knowledge, education and mentoring.

This particular email, again, IMO is based off ignorance. The thing is, ignorance in today's day and age is quickly curable. I find myself ignorant on many subjects nowadays....especially when it involves technology and slang.

When I posted this I should have worded it in a manner that was inquiring to the rifle. While there are many variables pertaining to the question, including the shooter's ability, I'm interested in INGOs thoughts on how they would respond given the information provided.
    I'd have directed him to replace the scope with at least a Vortex Crossfire.
    I'd tell him every rifle is different, and that they all like different types of bullets, and bullet weight.
    I would suggest he buy several different brands, bullet weights, bullet types, and go test to find out what his rifle liked best.
    Then I'd told him to go out, and shoot it, and report back what his groups were at 100yds.
    I'd have said something like depending on the condition of the barrel, what ammunition it likes, and the shooter it could be less than 1moa to more than 6moa.

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    Email I just received here at the shop:

"I have a Mossberg 810 ASMH in 30-06. I have some Remington Core Lokt 165 grain ammo.
    The rifle looks to be in very good condition. The barrel is clean. The riflings look crisp with sharp edges.
    My question is: What size of a grouping should I expect to get with this rifle ?? By grouping I mean 5 shots at 100 yards either in MOA or Extreme Spread in inches. I'm NOT looking for a guarantee. I'm only looking for a ball park idea for when I take it out to sight it in.

The rifle has a newer (made in last 10 years) Tasco 3-9X40 rifle scope Made in China on it.

Thank you"

I'll include my response as well:

There is absolutely no way I can give you an estimate without:

1. Having the rifle in my hands
    2. Actually shooting the rifle

Far too many variables and I cannot in good faith even begin to give you an idea. The biggest variable is the person pulling the trigger.

Best of luck

What say you INGO?
    Brett, you know I respect you and your work.

(I'm an IT/Security guy.) Like you, I get some of the dumbest and most ignorant questions everyday.
    While I could be snarky with my answers, I choose the high road (IMHO) and take pity on them instead. Have a good laugh and move on. ;-)

Here's some food for thought:
    1695909608810.png
    "How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these."
    --George Washington Carver

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg

(I'm an IT/Security guy.) Like you, I get some of the dumbest and most ignorant questions everyday.
    While I could be snarky with my answers, I choose the high road (IMHO) and take pity on them instead. Have a good laugh and move on. ;-)

View attachment 302070
    "How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in your life you will have been all of these."
    Much agreed.

My response definitely could have been broader. However, diving into it and asking the pertinent questions necessary, wasn't in my day.

I do, however, wonder if anyone here does/did have experience with the particular rifle.

Squirt239

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 7, 2010
    North of Brownsburg

View attachment 302070
    And to be 100% I've lost and continue losing my patience the older I get....that's no excuse.

So, @STFU Thank you....I needed that!!!

STFU

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Sep 30, 2015
    Hamilton County
    And to be 100% I've lost and continue losing my patience the older I get....that's no excuse.

So, @STFU Thank you....I needed that!!!
    I get it. I really do. "The older I get, the more I like my pets."
    I have my days where I tell my wife: "I am ready for a cabin in the woods...on 50 acres...with NO neighbors around."

OK, not yet. But getting there. LOL

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

View attachment 302070
    Excellent quote, and words to live by.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Sorry. I have worked with the public for too long. I have no patience and I do not care to. I am grumpy and hate people at this point. I have my wife, friends and my dogs. I want nothing else. CAll me whatever you like, I am no longer tolerant of stupidity and the populace.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    ........................................................................................... I am no longer tolerant of stupidity and the populace.
    Me too, but I remember when I fell into that category of "the populace". Everybody on this board was, at some time, ignorant (not necessarily stupid) of topics on which they now consider themselves expert. Being knowledgeable doesn't grant one the right to belittle those who may not be.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    Me too, but I remember when I fell into that category of "the populace". Everybody on this board was, at some time, ignorant (not necessarily stupid) of topics on which they now consider themselves expert. Being knowledgeable doesn't grant one the right to belittle those who may not be.
    There’s a difference between ignorance and stupidity. One implies the person hasn’t learned a topic/subject and is capable of learning. The other implies one has had the opportunity to learn an chosen not to. See: Covid crap.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    The first thing I'd tell the person is to forget the 5 shot group nonsense. It's a hunting rifle with a sporter weight barrel, 3 shot groups are sufficient. Then I'd tell him that in all likelihood it will shoot on par with other hunting rifles of similar age and construction, somewhere in the 1.5"-3" range if he does his part.

The scope and rings would be the first things to change to improve accuracy followed by different brands of ammo/loads and bullet weights. Bedding the stock would be about the last effort I would invest in this particular rifle. I'd replace the scope and rings regardless of results if I planned to keep it and use it for any serious purpose.

It doesn't really cost much time or effort to answer the question in the spirt it was asked.

Top Bottom