• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sbcman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    I was performing a funeral today for a church member. He had served in the Korean War and had full military honors. I'm not for sure, and any Army guys please correct me if wrong, but I think the Color Guard had M1 nickel plated rifles. Anyway, one of the guys in the line cracks off the first shot and the rifle jams. He just goes through the procedure in the next two shots but when it was over he took the bolt back and "fling" out came the whole mag!

Don't know what went wrong and I was a little embarassed for him. Good thing is that I believe I was the only one that noticed it.

Those are gorgeous rifles they use, by the way.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    M1 Garands are designed to do just that! they have an 8 round clip when the last round is fired it will eject the empty clip.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Are you talking about the gun salute? They shoot blanks for that use. Quite a few years ago the Government quit contracting for and supplying the good blanks for the Legion to use for funerals. The commercially available chinese blanks are just plain awful in quality, and cause many jams/ malfunctions. I was able to buy/sell/swap trade for a case of the old USA made blanks for a friend that is part of the honor guard at the local legion chapter. If anyone still has the good blanks around, call up the American Legion, and they will help you find a contact to donate them. It is a shame, with all the money we spend foolishly in this country, that we cannot spare a few good blanks for military funerals.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    On the left side of the rifle is the "magazine" release button. If you aren't careful you can push it if you use the "rest the stock on right leg, hold rifle with left hand near trigger guard, pull charging handle with right hand" method.
    Or, he may have just been clearing the mag after he was done.
    We wait until the ceremony is over before clearing rifles, but who knows.
    We were having a lot of problems with fte/ftf for a while, then myself and another member removed the blank adapters, cleaned the heck out of rifles, and put them back together. Not one bit of trouble since.

Bill B

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    RA 0 DEC 0
    Are you talking about the gun salute? They shoot blanks for that use. Quite a few years ago the Government quit contracting for and supplying the good blanks for the Legion to use for funerals. The commercially available chinese blanks are just plain awful in quality, and cause many jams/ malfunctions. I was able to buy/sell/swap trade for a case of the old USA made blanks for a friend that is part of the honor guard at the local legion chapter. If anyone still has the good blanks around, call up the American Legion, and they will help you find a contact to donate them. It is a shame, with all the money we spend foolishly in this country, that we cannot spare a few good blanks for military funerals.
    IIRC we (VFW post) purchased ours less than three years ago. It wasn't GI, but it was USA made.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Bill, would you be so kind as to message me the information on where you got the 30-06 blanks? I would be glad to pass that information along. Thank you for your service.

Top Bottom