• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    Here is the front carb and air intake and the frame. Should be pretty easy for those guys to figure out exactly what I need.

See the threaded rod, the yellow lever is just about pointing to them. Need to take the carb off. Use a longer threaded rod and put the adapter on and then the carb and air filter. Then hook up the regulator.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I should be pretty easily set up. I am going to add a T to the low pressure side in the crawl space, and stubb the black pipe out of the back of the house. From there I will put a shut off on it, and a QD. then I will add a QD to the generator, and make the hose in between about 15 feet. Not to many or expensive parts.

To get going wheel the generator out. Plug it in to the house. Plug in the hose, turn on the valve, prime the generator. press start button until it runs. Go inside and turn off main and turn breaker for generator on. Turn ALL other breakers off. Go outside and turn breaker on for generator (should be warm by now). Go inside and turn on whatever breakers you want to run.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    See the threaded rod, the yellow lever is just about pointing to them. Need to take the carb off. Use a longer threaded rod and put the adapter on and then the carb and air filter. Then hook up the regulator.

I watched the video... Should be a very easy install. I still have to build the house first though, this is a little bit of the cart before the horse. I should be moving in by the end of march is weather permits the foundation to be installed in the next month or so.

They didn't have this brand generator listed on their website. and their "universal" kit includes a regulator which I don't need and don't want to pay for it. So I am hoping I can just send them lots of quality pictures and have them only sell me what I actually need.

Can I buy my QD propane hoses and stuff from them as well?

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    No, forget reliance and their 400 dollar panels. I am going to directly backfeed the panel and either buy, or build myself an interlock for the main panel. I will use a value system I believe. where no combination of circuits on at the same time can add up to over 5. So the well pump will get a 2, the whole kitchen circuit (or whichever the fridge is on) will get a 2. The bedroom circuits a 1, the bathroom circuits a 1, the water heater a 1, the furnace a 1, and whatever circuit the extra deep freeze (in the future) will be a 2. you can power ANYTHING you want to power, but the total of all circuits in the center position must not total more than 5. I will have to make some very detailed picture based instructions for all this so the wife can follow it easily. In those instructions I will include that for at least 30 minutes for every 4 hour timeframe you must include the fridge and freezer in the process.

So if she decides she wants to take a shower, she might have to turn the kitchen circuit off, and the master bath circuit on to have lights in the master bathroom. Or she could choose to use the guest bathroom for lighting the common area and just leave that circuit on all the time.
    Wow, and Leadeye thought my startup surge management scheme was complicated.

It works on a venturi effect like a gasoline carb. A carb would pull gas though the venturi, the venturi would pull propane about the same way. Hard to describe it unless you see it.

Picture a scuba tank setup the air in a scuba tank does not flow until you pull a very small vacuum with the mouth piece. There is a button on the regulator to prime the propane to help start it. The engine creates it own vacuum to pull the correct amount of propane. When the engine stops it does not create a vacuum, so the propane stops.
    So, it's a "demand regulator". Diving regulator - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia Gotcha.

looney2ns

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    Evansville, In
    also, this came with the two male twist lock plugs, so I will just have to buy the wire from the panel to the outdoor outlet. the outdoor box, and female connection, and about 10 feet of 240v extension cord material. It did not come with oil but autozone had some stuff they were discontinuing for 1 dollar per quart. I bought all the 10w30 they had.

I think you will find out that you will have more $$ in this than you think.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    They didn't have this brand generator listed on their website. and their "universal" kit includes a regulator which I don't need and don't want to pay for it. So I am hoping I can just send them lots of quality pictures and have them only sell me what I actually need.

Can I buy my QD propane hoses and stuff from them as well?

Never had to call them. It sounds like they are good to work with. Not sure if you have a regulator outside your house. (a secondary) it may be cheaper to T before that and run a smaller hose, then a second regulator at the generator. The hose was like $10 a foot for the NG (or maybe low pressure propane? People that sell NG hose wants to make sure it is super quality. Plus you need a large size for NG it is only 1/2 a psi so you need a large diameter to get the flow. I bought the hose from them and Q/Ds off of ebay. I am a cheap bastard, saved me a few bucks.

Brian Ski

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2014
    Michiana
    my goal was less than 1k. You really think I cannot do the rest of this for 400 bucks?

Depends on you accessories but I think you can be close. C kit is just under $200, hose may set you back just under $100 Q/D for 2 sets $100 Just estimating. Maybe a secondary reg. If so you may be able to use the smaller propane hose. Plus your misc fittings.

Good luck on your project.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    I have always bought propane related hardware from the place that delivers my propane. They generally sell parts at cost and install stuff for free. Anything that keeps you suckin off that bottle makes them $$$. Worth giving your guy a call.

I have noticed that I don't get quite the level of customer service that I used to. Coincidentally, the decline seemed to start about the same time I installed an outdoor wood boiler.:dunno:

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I haven't read through all responses on this subject but I believe I have a similar setup you are referring to.

I've written a pretty extensive picture oriented user guide so my wife could get the thing up and running. She's very electrically challenged so I know if she can understand it I'm confident it's written well enough for most.

If anyone wants to read my user guide here is a link to my cloud. The hyperlink will take you to a folder on my cloud that has a word and PDF.
    https://app.box.com/s/0prtj2s2zok1ft8il8bf

I can't speak for Propane but using natural gas I use a starting fluid when the temps are below 50 degrees. I spray a shot of carb cleaner into the air filter prior to starting.

Here's my equipment:
    Portable generator from Harbor Freight
    Tri-Fuel conversion. (Using natural gas for fuel)
    Enclosure to house generatorar
    Tail pipe to vent generator outside of enclosure
    Kill switch to kill generator if inside temps of enclosure reaches 85C / 185F
    HR/RPM meter
    Battery for push button start
    1.5 watt solar charger to maintain battery charge
    Breaker panel interlock switch that I made.
    85 db buzzer that buzzes when the power is restored.

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I haven't read through all responses on this subject but I believe I have a similar setup you are referring to.

I've written a pretty extensive picture oriented user guide so my wife could get the thing up and running. She's very electrically challenged so I know if she can understand it I'm confident it's written well enough for most.

If anyone wants to read my user guide here is a link to my cloud. The hyperlink will take you to a folder on my cloud that has a word and PDF.

I can't speak for Propane but using natural gas I use a starting fluid when the temps are below 50 degrees. I spray a shot of carb cleaner into the air filter prior to starting.

Here's my equipment:
    HR/RPM meter

Can you post pictures of this setup? I am mostly interested in the housing setup you made (that will help with noise), and the interlock that you made yourself.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    That's a pretty impressive write-up. I like the error-proofing you built into the main/generator-breaker interlock.

Here's my equipment:
    HR/RPM meter

Boiled Owl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    Newton Co. !
    I'm just finishing up a Generac 20KW install at my farm running LP. $4500.

I'm not sure how much cheaper a guy could put together an automatic solution but,
    a quick search of craigslist found this: GENERAC GUARDIAN 5243 STANDBY GENERATOR

You have a switch, automatic operation, housing, NG ready, and your widow doesn't need to be an electrical engineer to operate!

jd42k

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    I just added 3 new pics of the enclosure to the link below to my cloud.

It's a resign container purchased at Menards and is probably sized for two garbage cans.
    Here's a link to Menards for a similar enclosure:
    http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...-horizontal-storage-unit/p-1703675-c-9485.htm

I used 1" bead board and glued it to the inside and covered that with a foil faced shield to help protect the resign from heat.
    Here's the Menards link for the foil shield: http://www.menards.com/main/buildin...-x-25-reflective-foil-insulation/p-136971.htm

I also installed a triple wall pipe to vent the exhaust outside as you'll see from the picures at the link below.

Also one note. If you plan on installing a generator like this and it's somewhat close to your gas meter you need to install it a minimum distance from your gas meter. I think the requirement is 42" from a gas meter but am not certain. You'll need to check with NIPSCO or similar.

There's a ground lug on my generator too and I routed a ground wire to my grounding rod too since it was only about 12 feet away.

Here's the link to my cloud.

Top Bottom