• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI
    After the storms last night, i realized that I need some sort of emergency bag for my fiance and I. I have some basics in our basement (non-perishable food, cases of water, first aid kit, flashlights, etc), but I thought that one of those pre-made emergency bags might be an easy way to fill in the major gaps that I have overlooked.

Can anybody recommend a particular style/vendor type? I saw the Red Cross has one Deluxe Emergency Preparedness Kit (Adult, 3-Day) - Red Cross Store that looked like it might work, but I also found a 4 person one online via amazion [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Ready-America-70385-Deluxe-Backpack/dp/B00149VP14]Amazon.com: Ready America 70385 Grab `N Go Deluxe 4 Person Backpack: Home Improvement[/ame] While I understand that I could probably save a few bucks buying everything individually and building my own, I thought something like this would be a great place to start and that I can supplement additional items as needed.

Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks.

UltraRick

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 19, 2009
    Georgetown
    Check out emergency essentials. I recommend them. Good quality for a decent price. I did supplement additonal lighting. and candles and matches.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    How far and how long are you planning on having to live out of the bag?!

The problem with the pre-assembled kits I have seen are they are chocked full of either junk items or useless gear...

It is really very easy to just throw a 72 Hour kit together quite possible with just what you already have in the home...

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    The DIS-advantage of a prepacked kit is that you tend to never want to open it, so you never get practice using what's in it. Once you take out the prepacked shelter (whatever it is), you can't get it back in its container, so then you've got trouble repacking the kit, etc. Perhaps it might serve you better to look at the description of the contents of the various kits, see what quantities of various items they're carrying, and put together a similar kit of easily-available and reuseable items. It may end up being a bigger kit, but you will know what's in it and will have the opportunity to learn to use it.

tom1025

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Underground
    The DIS-advantage of a prepacked kit is that you tend to never want to open it, so you never get practice using what's in it. Once you take out the prepacked shelter (whatever it is), you can't get it back in its container, so then you've got trouble repacking the kit, etc. Perhaps it might serve you better to look at the description of the contents of the various kits, see what quantities of various items they're carrying, and put together a similar kit of easily-available and reuseable items. It may end up being a bigger kit, but you will know what's in it and will have the opportunity to learn to use it.

+1. This route will probally be more cost effective as well.

GoDawgs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    NWI

Great point. I thought it would be easier just to do a pre-made bag, but if I'm unfamiliar with it's contents, It's not going to be too much help, nor will I be able to always remember what I have in there in the first place

I"ll check one of the 50 'what should my get home/bug out/shtf bag contain' threads for help on contents as well, haha.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    First off, congrats on taking the time and effort to get prepared ahead of time. That's a big step that most people don't take the time to do.

I have to say I agree with every post so far. Emergency Essentials (beprepared.com) is a great website and I've bought a lot from them myself. I particularly like their way of building your own first aid kits. When you look at the premade first aid kits in the store many times they're advertising a 200 piece kit, but 190 of those pieces are bandades (that's exagerated, but you get the point). Buy some sutures, and 4x6 pads, some amonia tabs to wake people up, alcohol wipes, burnfree gel, purified water for flushing eyes, and so on. There's a lot on their website that won't be in the premade kits.

Top Bottom