• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Wondered if any of you have thoughts or suggestions on non-Ham emergency radios? I've looked at solar, hand-crank, rechargeable battery models like Eton by Grundig with NOAA weather channels, SW, AM & FM channels. They have a 3 led light and maybe a few extras.

Another brand is Freeplay - those are more expensive.

There are other brands as well. There are ratings on Amazon, but am not sure how reliable they are.

If anyone has some experience with a radio of this type your input would be real helpful. It could be that you wouldn't recommend this kind of a radio for emergencies at all??

Thanks for your comments.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    I have several of the Eton models with the crank, solar, etc. Now, I have not used them extensively, but they seem to be a decent radio for the money. They have a newer model out called the Scorpion that has caught my eye, but I would like to hold it in my paw before laying down $$ for another one.

Sorry I couldn't give you a more definitive review of mine, however, the reviews I have read all seem to imply these are relatively decent radios.

Last edited:

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    For use as an actual emergency radio. I think I'd be looking for something that's certified, or at least claims to pass JIS-7 (submerge a running device 3 feet under water, for 30 minutes)

Beyond that, a receiver is a receiver for those kinds of devices.

Whosyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2009
    Warren County
    I've had the Kaito Voyager for about a year now with no problems.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001F0MNRM/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_2?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B001EUG3II&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0HFCEGBC0V8CVXBW3D20]Amazon.com: Kaito Electronics Inc. KA500BLK Voyager Solar/Dynamo Emergency Radio - Black:…[/ame]

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    I have 2 different models on the Eton (FR-200 @ work & FR-300 at home), and they are fine for what they do (local AM/FM/Wx). While they have SW, I've never been able to pick-up much. The major problem is they a receivers (Rx) only; you may be able to hear what is going on, but you can't talk to anyone.

If you are serious about emergency communications (both Tx & Rx) you need to get into amateur ('ham') radio. Yes, in a true SHTF scenario, the license requirements are 'out the window', but in the mean time you need to practice with your equipment and you need a license for that. Anyone with average intelligence can study and pass both the Tech & General test (no more code needed).

Just my :twocents:. -- Greg, K9TLA

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    I have 2 different models on the Eton (FR-200 @ work & FR-300 at home), and they are fine for what they do (local AM/FM/Wx). While they have SW, I've never been able to pick-up much. The major problem is they a receivers (Rx) only; you may be able to hear what is going on, but you can't talk to anyone.

If you are serious about emergency communications (both Tx & Rx) you need to get into amateur ('ham') radio. Yes, in a true SHTF scenario, the license requirements are 'out the window', but in the mean time you need to practice with your equipment and you need a license for that. Anyone with average intelligence can study and pass both the Tech & General test (no more code needed).

Just my :twocents:. -- Greg, K9TLA

+1 on all accounts.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    For use as an actual emergency radio. I think I'd be looking for something that's certified, or at least claims to pass JIS-7 (submerge a running device 3 feet under water, for 30 minutes)

Beyond that, a receiver is a receiver for those kinds of devices.

Recommendations or links?

Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    Recommendations or links?

I don't have any sorry. I have several ham radios instead. My Go-To radio during an event would be my Yaesu VX-7R. Dual tranceivers, one is a wide band receiver. It's JIS-7, fits in a pocket.

Also have a Yaesu FT-857D in the car. Which covers all of the Amateur HF bands, as well as the 6m, 2m, and 70cm bands. I can talk around the world with this one as necessary.

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    I've got an ETON ARC FR500 that sits on the window sill, summer sun keeps the pack charged pretty well. I'd like to get a AC adapter, but I keep forgetting to order one.

For Ham stuff, I still have my 1st radio from when I got my ticket in '98, and ICOM T-7A dual band handy. It's served me well. Rag chewing, com work for charity events, skywarn net checkins, all can be accomplished with a handy and a decent antenna. In SHTF, I'd like to have a larger antenna and more power, though.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    i have 2 of the eton models and they are pretty decent. i have a smaller one and larger. the smaller one is hand crank and solar and i have had it for years and never had a problem.

my bigger one is sweet. its solar, battery, or hand cranked and it can charge your sell phone or other devices, it gets all the weather alerts and other channels. i really love it.

but yes as far as everything everybody says is correct, you can only listen no talking back and thats a big suck in a true shtf situation but its all i have for right now so it works. i need to try and step up to the ham challenge but with as crazy with my life is right now i just don't have the time

Grizhicks

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    New Palestine
    Yes, I like my Eton's and will hang on to them. The Eton's (or similar) will be needed to monitor the public airways (AM/FM & backup for Wx); while you can't talk back, you should be able to pick-up any/if PSA or similar from the "powers that be" (if any left).

While, I'm a 'ham', it is not an answer to everything; all types of radio gear will be useful in a SHTF situation (ham, FRS/GMRS, CB, public service, scanners, AM/FM receivers, etc.). Biggest problem will be keeping 'juice' to them.

Greg, K9TLA

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    For those in this thread who are thinking about getting their license, the first level should be cake if you've got half a brain. I bought a study book on Friday and took the test on Sunday. Missed 0. Radio Shack should have the book.

E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    the radio i showed at the MSG2 meeting in my car bag was a Eton. I have several of the same kind that i bought to take care of my families needs. I think more than anything. after a disaster a radio will be a moral booster, which is very good. i personaly have no intentions of taking part in any hand out services or govt. solution. I will be aware of the goings on, but not actively involved :)

Last edited:

browncofiddler

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 18, 2010
    Brown County
    Oddly enough, just after I began this thread, we lost our power & internet all day long yesterday and I couldn't get back to this post!!

Listen, thanks to all of you for your great replies. This gives me a very good idea of what to look for. My cousin was a ham operator years ago and was very involved in it. He could answer a lot of questions for me too.

I was thinking in terms of a solar/hand crank/rechargeable battery radio to listen to info as it comes across the air waves when SHTF. Hadn't thought ahead to the necessity for communication as well. Maybe it would be a good idea to look into both kinds of radios. An Eton is inexpensive enough to keep on hand and would be pretty useful - just for listening in dicey situations.

I'll start learning more about Ham radios too. Initially, they look pretty complicated - but maybe they're not.

Thanks again to all of you for your help & sharing your experience. Really appreciate it.

Kathy

Last edited:
    Top Bottom