• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • E5RANGER375

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    BOATS n' HO's, Indy East
    truthfully no. Its a good practice to, but they don't have to. In Indiana you are suppose to yield the right of way to responding personnel.

truthfully your very wrong. all first responders while responding lights and siregn still must slow or stop at intersections. If they run into a car while lights and sireign are on then they are still at fault.

kedie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 5, 2008
    Southeast of disorder.
    truthfully your very wrong. all first responders while responding lights and siregn still must slow or stop at intersections. If they run into a car while lights and sireign are on then they are still at fault.

Yup. Drivers of emergency vehicles have even been prosecuted and sent to prison for wrecks they have caused.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    thank you guys for all the answers.

I only asked because my niece was T-boned last night by a firetruck that ran a red light. It hit her on the passenger side and thank God she walked away with 2 stitches and several other small cuts and bruises. She swears she didn't hear it or see it.
    The intersection she was hit at is just a few blocks from our shop and I went down and drove it this morning from both directions of the street she was on. She wouldn't have seen it coming and hearing it with windows rolled up and the buildings on the corners would have been iffy.
    She's a youngen at 23 and newly married and a new baby (baby wasn't with her) I was worried where she was going to be left standing when it was all over. I know she isn't definately out of the clear, but I do feel better about things now.

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Is this not what we are supposed to do? I've done this since I've had a driver's license. I've always thought that was the polite thing to do...It seems like getting out of their way so they have a clear path to drive(ie, not having to swerve into oncoming traffic).

Man do I have egg on my face lol. Should have put left instead of right. I really need to stop posting when I should be sleeping :D

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Many moons ago, I knew a young lady who made the the nearly instantaneous transformation from NCO to Airman because she thought her lights and sirens meant she didn't have to slow down at intersections.

70 mph through rush hour traffic, en route to an alarm that ALWAYS went off at the same time every day :rolleyes: The wreck was horrible, and darn near killed the civilian she hit.

Security122

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2010
    Southside of Indy
    thank you guys for all the answers.

I only asked because my niece was T-boned last night by a firetruck that ran a red light. It hit her on the passenger side and thank God she walked away with 2 stitches and several other small cuts and bruises. She swears she didn't hear it or see it. ...

Since she was T-boned, meaning the fire truck hit her in the side, she was obviously in the intersection first. The fire truck should have yielded to her. Just my :twocents:

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana
    Since she was T-boned, meaning the fire truck hit her in the side, she was obviously in the intersection first. The fire truck should have yielded to her. Just my :twocents:

Not necessarily, I was in my POV and "T-Boned" a car that crossed right in front of me when I was in an intersection first (They were flying). Of course I in no way am implying this is what occurred to the OP's niece and I'm glad to hear she is Ok.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    did you know emergency vehicles running lights and sirens have to yield to a school bus stop arm that is out and lit?

never had that happen to me though but im pretty sure if it ever did id hold the kid (not like i can pull off the road) and let the emergency vehicle role on by

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    did you know emergency vehicles running lights and sirens have to yield to a school bus stop arm that is out and lit?

never had that happen to me though but im pretty sure if it ever did id hold the kid (not like i can pull off the road) and let the emergency vehicle role on by

Yes I did. Had a Cardiac Arrest at 2:25 pm, and on my way to the Hosp. forgot about the bus route.:n00b: Had to wait a good several minutes for everyone to get moving far enough they could get out of the way.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm not sure if it's true, and I'd hope that the latter party wouldn't take advantage of it if it was, but someone told me that a police car, fire engine, ambulance, and postal vehicle arriving at the same intersection at the same time, the first three with lights and sirens going....all have to yield to the postal vehicle.

Anyone know if it's true?

Blessings,
    Bill

phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    Never heard that one. If a fire engine and ambulance were headed to my Mom's house for a medical emergency I would prefer they have right of way before a postal vehicle.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Waaaaaaaayyy back when when I when through EVOC and became a certified emergency vehicle operator (my EMT class was one of the last classes that did, and I still show up on the DHS website as holding that cert even though I haven't done any inservice for that particular cert in two decades...) it was emphasized in the class that we were required by law to stop at a red light, but that we could proceed once we have determined that it was safe to do so. We were told that we did not have to come to a complete stop at a stop sign, but that we should slow down and only proceed if it was safe to do so.

The other rules regarding emergency vehicles was traveling the wrong way on one way streets, exceeding the speed limit by as much as 15 mph, and parking in non-parking areas.

For all of these moving privileges we had to be running lights and sirens.

I have no cites for any of these, and this was from Indiana EVOC curriculum from 1988...

Pretty simple rules.

rmabrey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    We discussed this briefly in class last week and were told to slow down to make sure it was safe, and not to just run lights.

A few years ago in Evansville A fireteuck ran a light and tboned a car,killing the driver.

Top Bottom