Emergency / Storm Lightning , What's Everyone Useing ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    Old fashioned oil lamp

These 2 together supply some comfortable light.

ZIJZDl7.jpg

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    I like keeping things very simple with multiple purposes, head lamp. Each family member has one. The head lamps have magnetic base which rest on the kids loft beds, they're great to stick on the fridge or medicine cabinet to light up the room. Moon light is a big plus, they last for days.

mark40sw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2015
    Roanoke
    Streamlight Siege lanterns works very well. I believe they have 3 sizes, li-ion rechargable, D cells, AA cells.

I have several of the AA size (i use 3 eneloops). Built rugged. Has different brightness levels & red illumination. Some models have magnetic base. I find useful that the top can be easily removed and used as a broad floodlight. They are supposed to float in water only with top on. On/off button flashes when batteries get low. AA size about size of coke can.

streamlight-siege.jpg 36c6807b.jpg

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    The wife and I really got in to oil lamps....We have probably got two dozen now between here and the farm.....In the winter we'll get them going with a fire up at the 120 year old farmhouse down in the woods and the house looks beautiful from the outside.......Like a painting almost.....

We love them...

OurDee

nobody
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Sep 16, 2017
    Camby
    I've got oil lamps for long term light. The propane lamp lets you maintain that high voltage brightness during short term emergencies.

I have thought about a lever in .45LC.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Aladdin lamps are impressive pieces of kit. In terms of light output per unit of kerosene I've not seen anything come close.

I've not used an Aladdin, but I do have a really old Coleman kerosene lantern with a nickel-plated brass tank that only has one mantle and it's brighter than my regular Coleman white-gas lanterns. It probably sucks more kerosene than an Aladdin, though.

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    For those using Aladdins is there a shelf life for new mantles? My spare mantle came with the lamp when new and is over 45 years old

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    These are handy for your storm shelter if you have young kids for a temporary outage as you ride out a storm.

Hard wire it into the electrical (NOT your room's switched fixture) and it will trickle charge. As soon as the house loses power, it automatically activates.

https://www.amazon.com/eTopLighting...f=sr_1_3?s=lamps-light&ie=UTF8&qid=1514210926

That actually is a really good idea, and an example of something that would be useful in the normally expected "little emergencies" - power outages, that you know are going to happen from time to time. I've got Coleman lanterns, oil lamps, oil lanterns, candles, and flashlights for long-term SHTF. But, if the power goes out for a couple hours some night, I'd still likely be fumbling for a flashlight in the spur of the moment.

I'm going to get one and install it next to my smoke detector in the little main hallway of our house.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    That actually is a really good idea, and an example of something that would be useful in the normally expected "little emergencies" - power outages, that you know are going to happen from time to time. I've got Coleman lanterns, oil lamps, oil lanterns, candles, and flashlights for long-term SHTF. But, if the power goes out for a couple hours some night, I'd still likely be fumbling for a flashlight in the spur of the moment.

I'm going to get one and install it next to my smoke detector in the little main hallway of our house.

they also make night light/plug in flashlights that dont have to be hard wired for hallways. I had one of those in my hall. it would sit idle charging in an outlet. at dark it would work like a night light. When you lose power (or take it out of the wall) it turned on the flashlight part automatically. I liked having a flashlight constantly charging.

Like these. (this model doesnt act like a night light but some others do)
    https://www.amazon.com/Energizer-RC...eywords=plug+in+emergency+power+failure+light

BluePig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 10, 2012
    Middlebury
    Streamlight Siege lanterns works very well. I believe they have 3 sizes, li-ion rechargable, D cells, AA cells.

I have several of the AA size (i use 3 eneloops). Built rugged. Has different brightness levels & red illumination. Some models have magnetic base. I find useful that the top can be easily removed and used as a broad floodlight. They are supposed to float in water only with top on. On/off button flashes when batteries get low. AA size about size of coke can.
    I picked up one of the AA Seige at the Valpo Spring show last year.
    The Mrs loved it so much, it is now her's.
    She used it all summer and fall for a theater show she was in backstage for keeping up with the show and reading the script.
    It was impressive how good it did on batteries.

spencer rifle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    68   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    Scrounging brass
    Aladdin kerosene lamps with spare mantles.
    Wick kerosene lamps that mount on canning jars.
    Kerosene lanterns with chimneys and handles.
    Yard landscape lights with solar charge panels.
    Multiple flashlights and headlights, mostly taking AA and AAA (we have spares and rechargeables).

And, of course, my EDC carry light (Thrunight Archer 2A 3V) that gets used at least once a day.

We used to have solar charge flashlights on the windowsill, but over the years they have stopped working and are not made to be repaired.

1stLast&Always

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 14, 2016
    Indy No Place
    Paraffin candles I made from Gulf, some paraffin specific wicks ordered online, and short Mason jars. I also gave several as gifts to family and friends. A kinetic flashlight, a Rayovac EDC with high and low beam, and my favorite for so many tasks, Rayovac headlamps (three band type) with the Red LED, LED or incandescant settings. The red is my favorite, bright yet unobtrusive, energy saving and preserves night vision. You could get several headlamps and put them next to everyone's beds.

Top Bottom