• Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Emergency Treatment of Gunshot Wounds Sat., May 7th, Crete, IL

Fortress Emergency Treatment of Gunshot Wounds

Due to a deluge of inquiries after the recent tragic events in Tucson, Fortress is offering a one-day Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wound course, designed to give you the tools and techniques you need to stabilize a gunshot would for the 3-30min it takes for EMS to arrive. In today’s world this is MUST have information for every American!

The day will be split into two parts:
    - 9am till 1pm will be the medical treatment portion; cost is $100 per student.
    - 1pm till 5pm will be the (indoor) “simulated live fire” portion. This is offered to those who wish to apply what they have learned to active shooter scenarios and learn wound treatment under fire. Cost is an additional $60 per student.

Ages 16 and up are welcome.

When: Saturday, May 7th, 9am to 5pm

Where: 25946 S. Klemme Rd, Crete, IL 60417 (Indiana residents: classroom is ONE mile off the Indiana border, we promise you won't melt! :) )

This course is for the novice, no medical training is required.

What all will need:
    -pen/pencil, note taking materials
    -Protective eye wear
    -Folding knife
    -Lunch/snack/beverage (we don’t leave for lunch or breaks.)

Additional equipment required for the “live fire” portion:
    - Airsoft pistol w/holster or airsoft rifle. Airsoft equipment is available for a $5 rental fee.
    - Hat with a brim, such as a baseball cap.
    - DO NOT bring live guns or ammunition into the classroom!

Payment in full is required to hold your spot. $100 for the half day, $160 for the whole day.

Checks made out to ‘Fortress Defense' may be sent to:

Fortress Defense
    PO Box 385
    Crete, IL 60417

Please include a note with your name, mailing address, email address, phone number, and course you're signing up for.

This class does NOT certify anyone as anything or for anything.

For those in the Indianapolis area, you will want to wait for Doc Gunn's course July 23rd at Boone County, as fuel costs will offset any savings you might get on tuition.

Last edited:

WETSU

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Sounds like an outstanding class. Everyone that carries a gun on a daily basis should take this class.

I hope it is a full house.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    We're starting to fill up, so if anyone is interested now is the time!

We're trying to keep this one down to 12 students.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    I agree with WETSU and Glock212 on this! Everyone should know what to do! This sounds like a great class and affordable too! Thanks for putting it on G21!

Thanks, GG!

We're able to keep the costs down on this since there are no range costs and we can do it at our home base. We're happy to do it and I hope lots of folks take advantage of at least the 4-hour portion, as that is designed for anyone and everyone!

GARANDGUY

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2010
    SOUTHERN INDIANA
    No problem at all!If I hadnt just got my Paramedic cet redone I would definitely be there! This is a skill that I believe everyone should learn!!!! I have made a few GSW runs where if proper care would have been given at the scene the victim would have survived! Good luck with your course sir and thank you for offering this!

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    This sounds like a great class. Will it be offered again for those of us that already have plans on May 7th?
    '

We're offing it in a true live fire version in Rochester, IN, Wendesday, June 22.

And I can't say enough good things about Doc Gunn's course in Boone Co., on July 23rd. Doc is who taught us to do it!

We may offer another class in Crete late summer/early fall.

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    We're only going forward with the 4-hour medical section since that seems to be all anyone is signing up for. The 8-hour all day portion is off.

If you'd like to attend we still have space!

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but what sorts of things will be covered other than holding pressure, tourniquet if needed and spinal imobilization? You're talking about the pre-EMS time, not definitive treatment.

Not trying to downplay your course, just curious what people are getting for the $

Glock21

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    IL
    Maybe I'm being too simplistic, but what sorts of things will be covered other than holding pressure, tourniquet if needed and spinal imobilization? You're talking about the pre-EMS time, not definitive treatment.

Not trying to downplay your course, just curious what people are getting for the $

Normally the course would include this:
    Emergency Treatment of Gunshot Wounds

This class is just the medical.

The seven life-threatening injuries
    Airway/nasal cath insertion
    Needling a tension pneumothorax
    Application of an Israeli Battle Dressing
    Tourniquets - types/procedures
    Assembling a personal trauma kit

It's the same course Doc Gunn presents in Boone Co each summer, less the shooting portion. He trained us, and we have his blessing.

(..and if anyone here is closer to Boone, go take it from him!)

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

For what it's worth, I've been through the class with Doc Gunn and been present for several other iterations. There have been medical professionals among the students each time, including several physicians from different specialities, at least one vet, some paramedics, and bunch of EMTs and people with active EMT credentials. All of them thought the class was worthy of their time afteward.

Top Bottom