• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    Not a fan of it. Came across this article. Chicken Man kills himself after long fight with Roswell government officials

I was with a friend of mine and we where at his mothers house, the house was on the market. Elderly couple pulls up asking if they could look at the house. We find out that they are in their late 70's and have lived in their present home for the last 40+ years. They were having to look for a new home because of some I-69 expansion and their home was in the path of some future plan.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I'm sure it's not pleasant for a lot of people, but it's been the law for 1000+ years of common law and the entire length of time the U.S. has been a country. From what I have personally seen, the government frequently over-pays.

monitor51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 4, 2012
    West Central IN
    I'm sure it's not pleasant for a lot of people, but it's been the law for 1000+ years of common law and the entire length of time the U.S. has been a country. From what I have personally seen, the government frequently over-pays.

Well, I suppose if they make it worth your while cash wise it wouldn't be so bad. This older couple had a lot of memories in that home.

Me, a home is where my wife and kids are.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Can't really "over pay" for something that isn't for sale. Would suck to be on the "selling" end of the deal, but the rest of us sure do get some nice roads.

Noway Jose

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It's a sad fact that we have to deal with as population grows. The infrastructure has to grow to support the larger population. Sometimes total takes are required. There are regulations and hoops to jump through to justify any property acquisition. The property owner is paid more than the appraised value and also a relocation fee.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    Had a family member deal with eminent domain with the INDY Airport several years ago (10+). She loved her house so the airport ended up buying the property and paid a company to move to the house to new piece of property several miles down the road and set her house there. she was happy airport was happy everybody won. don't know if that is normal or not but that is what happened to her.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Would you show up to a man's house and point a gun at him demanding that he evict his rightfully owned property?

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I recognize that it would be nearly impossible to construct many necessary public works (like highways for example) without it, but lack of fair compensation and confiscation for purely elective reasons (like reassignment to another private owner who will construct something of greater tax value) deserve severe punishment when they occur.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I recognize that it would be nearly impossible to construct many necessary public works (like highways for example) without it, but lack of fair compensation and confiscation for purely elective reasons (like reassignment to another private owner who will construct something of greater tax value) deserve severe punishment when they occur.

I am mainly disturbed by the redefinition of "public use" to include things that are, from all appearances, private.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark

My problem with eminent domain is that we've developed and built and expanded and constructed - when will it be enough?
    When the entire Earth is paved over with asphalt, will there then be roads sufficient? When the entire Earth is a road, will it finally be enough road?
    Are there not enough public libraries? Enough government buildings? How many more public buildings and roads run roughshod over prior private property are sufficient?

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I am mainly disturbed by the redefinition of "public use" to include things that are, from all appearances, private.

Is a driver saving 10 minutes on a 50 mile commute worth taking someone's land? Back when if you wanted to get from Indy to Chicago and you had to do it from traversing the entire Lake Michigan, I could see a point. Most of this new road construction seems to be based more on "convenience" than necessity.

Not without a proper backstop.

And not from Rural Zionsville much longer.

Top Bottom