• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Are we talkin AMC jeep? Willies jeep? or Chrysler jeep?

If its a chrysler jeep(1990 or newer) youre SOL...it runs off of more computers than the space shuttle.

AMC jeep?...Convert to a points ignition and a manual transmission.

Willies?...Do nothing...its already EMP proof.

God bless
    -Shred
    This. The newer Jeeps are way passed EMP-proofing. Heck, handling the ECM without an anti-static strap may even kill it.

A friend has a '72 CJ-5 with an extra set of points and a coil in an ammo box. I'm sure it would run as well after an EMP blast as before.

Westside

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Monitor World
    I've also heard that as long as there isn't power going to the components that the emp won't destroy it. So basically anything hooked to any power in your vehicle will likely fry. I've been thinking about trying a battery shutoff switch on the postitive battery cable. That way the power can be shutoff to everything when not being driven. But of course keeping extra components in a faraday cage is a good idea for backup as well ;)

Ok guys...Read my previous posts. I am an EMI engineer I deal with this every day for a living. if an EMP pulse powerful enough to damage a circuit board occurs you will have way bigger problems than your car/truck/jeep whatever not starting. Don't worry about EMP worry about where you are going to sleep and what you are going to eat.

And no even if you have NO power connected to a circuit the silica the board is made out of will charge and fry the components on the board. this is why Vacuum tubes are not effected.

Again I REPEAT STOP WORRYING ABOUT EMP.

insidethebunker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2009
    North of Louisville
    Ok guys...Read my previous posts. I am an EMI engineer I deal with this every day for a living.
    Again I REPEAT STOP WORRYING ABOUT EMP.

That's just about all I need to feel safe. Maybe post it a few more times and we'll really start to believe you. Or maybe we'll do what we want since EMP's don't just come from Nuclear bombs so a leveling of the countryside and all life around isn't the only outcome. There can and probably will be life after an EMP. Transport to a BOL might actually be of concern for many.

kcpew

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2011
    Fountaintown
    I would suggest to not have an electronic ignition, and leave the battery disconnected. Not sure about grounding the vechile as this would create a potential and would attract amp's, on the other hand if not grounded can the vechile act like a capasitor?

Top Bottom