• ...and so much more!
  • longbow

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    south central IN
    those all come into play.
    I'd like to think those would make a difference.

what are the key emp sensitive parts in cars and locations...Are we talking every fuse, selinoid and logic chips. Please tell me they don't hide computers inside the transmissions on new vehicles?

question to auto geeks

where are the key parts on a ford or chevy truck? gas or diesel and what would it cost to have extras

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Well I just watched the video of the Ford Taurus, so I guess there is something to worry about...And yes it depends, I suppose on were such an EMP occurs and the location of the vehicle. Could a vehicle stored in a metal garage be protected? Or if you are far from the blast, your vehicle might not be affected. I suppose there will be plenty of other things to worry about, just glad we do have bicycles!
    I've read that you can use an ammo can as an improvised Faraday cage, which is interesting to think about, because doesn't an automobile itself act as a Faraday cage when you are struck by lightning?

Most vehicles unless you are centered closer to the effect will just need to be shutoff and restarted. IF you are closer to the center you have more serious concerns than EMP effecting your life...

EMP is a serious thing, but do not believe all that you have seen out of Hollywood either...

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    Most vehicles unless you are centered closer to the effect will just need to be shutoff and restarted. IF you are closer to the center you have more serious concerns than EMP effecting your life...

EMP is a serious thing, but do not believe all that you have seen out of Hollywood either...

I'm sure you'll all find the Wikipedia entry interesting, especially the map.

hotfarmboy1

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Madison County
    those all come into play.
    I'd like to think those would make a difference.

what are the key emp sensitive parts in cars and locations...Are we talking every fuse, selinoid and logic chips. Please tell me they don't hide computers inside the transmissions on new vehicles?

question to auto geeks

where are the key parts on a ford or chevy truck? gas or diesel and what would it cost to have extras

It depends on the brand, model, and year. Most just have the PCM to run everything electronic to deal with the engine and trans. Some others, esp diesels have both a pcm, a tcm, and a fcm or at least I know some fords do. PCM= powertrain control module. TCM=transmission control module, and FCM would be the fuel control module. Now I may not have some of the abbreviations right, I wasn't the one that did alot of work on those systems when I worked at the dealer. But you'd be surprised how many modules these newer vehicles can have to run the different systems. And those are just for the drivetrain, let alone the other modules to run your accessories, safety equip, hvac, and everything else. There are modules all over most late model cars.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    As to effects- an older model Toyota was known to be so sensitive as to take a squat if someone keyed up a medium warm 2 meter rig behind it at a stoplight, I have seen vehicles with lots of electronics set next to a lightning strike and everything will still work. I personally had a hit on my 12 foot dish which took out the rear speakers and amp for the home theater but the front channel worked perfectly.

Yep, mechanical diesels should still run as long as there's fuel, and the starter shouldn't be a problem, thankfully, cause push starting one is not fun. If it ever happens I would bet that it would be very interesting what survives and what doesn't. As for vehicles if there's a major event where would you go....? and where would you find fuel?

Power plants will probably not lose transformers as much as fire and feed controls. Anything with heavy copper has a good chance of survival because they are designed for switching spikes and lightning to begin with.

Any metal box will have a shielding effect, a faraday cage is designed to attenuate also, but you really can't do that for unknown so shielding is better- and more readily available.

Just because a vehicle is older doesn't mean that it won't have an aftermarket ignition module installed. The coil and points should not have a problem but the capacitor could...

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    American Motors Ignitions, circa 1960~75

ANY AMC/Chev/Buick/Olds/Pont (A/C/B/O/P) product from late 60s to the mid-70s can be converted to std ignition via the most popular parts of the era: Chevy-6, BOP, and Corvair ignitions. If your dwell extender is disconnected, it won't b affected. As will NONE of the std electronic ignition parts if the battery is disconnected. I carried these parts until I sold the Rambler. Just pop out the modular dist. and screw in (carefully --- mark the rotor position) the G.M. parts. Any G.M. distributor will work, depending upon cylinder count, with proper dwell and spark degrees. Pat

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    It's not uncommon for an engine to be capable of retro-fitting, maybe using an earlier distributor which you should buy now. Points, coil, and no electronics. But I think if your machine is grounded well, an impulse would not affect you so much. That "tin-foil hat and underwear" we hear so much about -- might serve to insulate and divert any 'pulse' from your vehicle, and any electronics stored inside of it. Of course, a buried Jerry-can is also impervious, for smaller units. Batteries are not going to be affected, but chargers might be a problem. Say INXS, if you don't already have a feed-thru system (FIFO) for fuel, you are behind the times. Buy low, sell high; pour it in the upper barrel, take it out of the lower. Use filters of course. Pat

SamAdams

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 16, 2009
    Indiana
    A little research and you will find that the electrical equipment needs to be plugged in. If there isn't power on (or current in the equipment) then it is highly doubtful to be affected. Cars are the same.
    Check this out: Nuclear Weapon EMP Effects

A google search reveals a ton of information.

Battery powered radios should be a staple for everyone anyways. Indiana winters are already hard enough on electricity. :)

PatMcGroyne

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Honey Creek
    Just in the same way that the older auto-generators need to be flash-polarized before they could put out juice, any electronic item that is inert and not in some kind of a circuit with power to it would not be susceptible to EMP burst, as long as they were kept inert. Might make some bucks if one could stash a few thousand most popular units in ammo-cans. Older pre-computer vehicles would only have to be shut off and battery disconnected to avoid blow-out. Your lawnmower, chainsaw, etc. would also be O.K. But our MAJOR problem is going to be (IF there were to be an EMP) what is in store AFTER the burst is received. Post Strike Intell Warfare Ops was my speciality in SAC underground at Omaha/Offutt. We have just as much aimed at "them" as "they" do at us. It will be an interesting world then, and I do miss being in the PSIWO loop. Think "Y2K¹º" or beyond. Pat

jclark

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Most big 3 cars and trucks ran points and condenser until 73 or 74.
    Started using basic computer in the early 80's...
    So all one would have to do is stick a couple of distributors,starters and alternators in a microwave oven and I'm good??
    What about long term storage of gasoline/diesel???
    That's a whole other topic.

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    A little research and you will find that the electrical equipment needs to be plugged in. If there isn't power on (or current in the equipment) then it is highly doubtful to be affected. Cars are the same.
    Check this out: Nuclear Weapon EMP Effects

A google search reveals a ton of information.

Battery powered radios should be a staple for everyone anyways. Indiana winters are already hard enough on electricity. :)

So basiclly if we just disconnect the Battery in our vehicles every time we leave it we won't have to worry about it? Guess that would help cut down vehicle theft as well... :thumbsup:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    So basiclly if we just disconnect the Battery in our vehicles every time we leave it we won't have to worry about it? Guess that would help cut down vehicle theft as well... :thumbsup:

Actually all you have to do is shut the vehicle off. Most electronics will be fine as long as they are shut off. ;)

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Actually all you have to do is shut the vehicle off. Most electronics will be fine as long as they are shut off. ;)

Well, technically, when a car is shut off, there is still current running to most systems. Maybe not the sensors and such, but the in-car electronics, dash gauges, ignition system, etc, all have current still running to them. So if an EMP effects electronics with current running to them, that would fry them, right? That's what I understand from the links and videos...

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    My lawnmower and weed whacker will not be affected by an EMP. Neither will my hay cutter, nor my cereal harvester. One tool, three blades - gets it all done. Gotta love the scythe.

YouTube - Mowing with a Scythe (w/ music)

In a pinch it makes a good anti cavalry weapon too.

I am getting away from all electric hand tools where I can. Many times the human powered tools are just as efficient. My next tool purchases will be a grain grinder and one these Ursa-Wheel barrow, atv wagon, manure wagon, dump cart, muck cart in one.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    My plan

I don't really need a vehicle. I live in a rural area and plan on staying put. For short distances I have a mountain bike and for work I have a tractor. I would miss my pickup, but I could get along without it.

shftn6

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    NW Monroe Co.
    Another comment on diesels - I have a Cummins 12 valve Dodge. No electronic ignition, mechanical fuel pump, so this is good. However, the fuel shutoff solenoid is located underneath and to the rear of the injector pump - turns fuel on and off to the pump when you turn the ignition on/off. If that gets zapped, you could have a problem. This valve can be manually actuated by moving the solenoid plunger forward, or backward with your hand to alternately start or kill the engine. I believe the solenoid is normally energized when the truck is running, so this could be zapped if you are running at the time of the EMP event. On/off thereafter would need to be accomplished manually. Other diesel brands may have something similar. Something ELSE to think about, as if this whole business wasn't complicated enough!

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The only vehicle that I know of that would probably not be effected at all would be the older Mercedes diesels which have mechanical fuel injection and vacuum operated automatic transmissions or manual transmissions. If the starter were effected, I believe you could also crank them by hand (not that I would want to). Once started, it will run till you shut it off (which was accomplished by shutting off the fuel flow to the injectors). The only electricity you would need would be for the glow plugs to start it.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    One, strategically placed EMP can take out 90% of the U.S. electrical grid.
    Basically most of the Country.
    That would disable fuel stations, and credit purchases,
    Further distribution of groceries,
    Pumping stations of city water, natural gas and lift stations for sewage,

"Out of Order"

You might retro fit your ole faithful truck and get it running,

You might be able get the tractor started. But where you planning on going?

Load up and head to a warmer climate if it's 15* degrees outside?
    It will be removed from you by force at the first bridge crossing.
    That and everything else you cherish.

Better to come up with a Plan "B" and skip the wheels.

Top Bottom