• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    An employer is not allowed to prevent someone from working because of factors like race, religion, etc. However, can keep a person from their second amendment Right.

Papa johns had to rewrite their weapons policy for Indiana when the law was passed for guns in the car. Because the law said I could papa could not say I can't. Why is there no laws saying that an employer can't do anything to violate an employee's rights?

Papa johns has no sign prohibiting any customer from carrying. Just the employees. I thought a known republican and public Romney supporter would be pro second amendment .

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Unfortunately, you seem to be of the belief that the 2nd Amendment is a prohibition against private individuals and private companies. It is not, and never has been. If a company wants to allow customers to carry and not their employees, Or even prohibit the carrying of firearms all together, it's not a violation of your rights.

Private property rights trumps all others.

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    Unless there is a law stating otherwise. Civil rights act prevents private companies from violating certian civil rights. I want a law saying that the 2nd amendment can't be violated by an employer. It just takes one house member and a boat load of lobbing to change everything.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    Unless there is a law stating otherwise. Civil rights act prevents private companies from violating certian civil rights. I want a law saying that the 2nd amendment can't be violated by an employer. It just takes one house member and a boat load of lobbing to change everything.

Free for me and not for thee?

On the eve of April 18, 1775, a group of Militia men from Lexington fired a volley in front of Buckman's Tavern before retiring inside to wait for further instructions from their Captain, John Parker. They did this because the Property Owner did not allow loaded muskets in his establishment.

Look back in history and you will find plenty of other examples. The 2nd Amendment was never intended to prevent property owners from having the Freedom to decide what was best for their property. It was put in place to discourage the government from attempting to rule unchecked.

You have the Freedom of choice to work there or not. If you don't like the policies, you have every Right to work somewhere else.

We do not need more government intrusion on the lives of private citizens.

Captain Morgan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2012
    terrible haute
    I used to deliver for Papa Johns as a second job. The vast majority of drivers in our store carried, including me. I'd rather lose my second job than lose my life over some thief. My primary job is a different story, though. :( Gov't job and not allowed to protect myself in any manner. Can't carry a gun, knife or even pepper spray. Have to use the run and hide method.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Free for me and not for thee?

On the eve of April 18, 1775, a group of Militia men from Lexington fired a volley in front of Buckman's Tavern before retiring inside to wait for further instructions from their Captain, John Parker. They did this because the Property Owner did not allow loaded muskets in his establishment.

Look back in history and you will find plenty of other examples. The 2nd Amendment was never intended to prevent property owners from having the Freedom to decide what was best for their property. It was put in place to discourage the government from attempting to rule unchecked.

You have the Freedom of choice to work there or not. If you don't like the policies, you have every Right to work somewhere else.

We do not need more government intrusion on the lives of private citizens.

They didn't hand the owner a no guns no money card?

Tydeeh22

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    disclosure of the face that you may have a firearm on your person or in your vehicle is the last nail in the coffin. parking lot 2.0 law was nice, but it didnt save people from disclosing the info willingly, thus allowing employers to search vehicles. basically. people talk to much..

boss- "whats that on your hip?"
    employee- "not sure"
    boss- "looks like a holster"
    employee- "ya dont say?"

you have no requirement to disclose the fact of carrying a handgun. if it is under clothing, they cant lift your shirt..

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Unfortunately, you seem to be of the belief that the 2nd Amendment is a prohibition against private individuals and private companies. It is not, and never has been. If a company wants to allow customers to carry and not their employees, Or even prohibit the carrying of firearms all together, it's not a violation of your rights.

Agreed. To the OP's rationalization...While I dont believe employers should discriminate because of race, religion, etc., I disagree with the laws preventing them from doing so. Less government regulation is better than more.

Keep in mind, nobody's forcing you to stay employed by somebody you believe is mistreating you.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

Agreed. To the OP's rationalization...While I dont believe employers should discriminate because of race, religion, etc., I disagree with the laws preventing them from doing so. Less government regulation is better than more.

Keep in mind, nobody's forcing you to stay employed by somebody you believe is mistreating you.

"Private property rights trumps all others."? See, this is where you lose me. The right to preserve my own life trumps all others, IMHO..

jon159753

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Avon, IN
    So the fact that papa is a government contractor has no bearing on weather rights should be intruded upon. The fact they they are a gvmt contractor is what forces them to be EOE compliant. To me government money going to the company makes it just a little bit more public than private to me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    "Private property rights trumps all others."? See, this is where you lose me. The right to preserve my own life trumps all others, IMHO..

You're right, nobody has the right to put your well being in jeopardy. It's up to you, if you believe a situation is too dangerous, to avoid it. But your rights don't trump mine.

(Expat said it more succinctly.)

.45 Dave

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson

Hate to agree on this point, but historically plenty of places have limited carry. For example. eastern Texas towns and cities prohibited carry as early as the 1850s. Plenty of western towns did the same in the 1860s to 1880s. Many taverns and bars did the same back then. They realized that strong drink and guns don't mix when the populace acts stupidly. Many mining camps did the same in the 1860s and later when the idiots would get drunk and ride through town firing indiscriminately. Point is: while we have a more accurate vision as to what the Constitution says these days, Americans didn't always have that view. And, as has been pointed out, in a true Republic property rights are paramount. So if a privately owned business says NO FIREARMS, they are within their right to do so. Where I get off is when the GOVERNMENT decides to make the rules for everybody!

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Don't come on my property then. It is pretty simple.

Now we are back to the old argument that has been discussed here time after time.. Is a business "Private Property" or does the fact it is a business, not a home, that invites the public in, make a difference?

Hate to agree on this point, but historically plenty of places have limited carry. For example. eastern Texas towns and cities prohibited carry as early as the 1850s. Plenty of western towns did the same in the 1860s to 1880s. Many taverns and bars did the same back then. They realized that strong drink and guns don't mix when the populace acts stupidly. Many mining camps did the same in the 1860s and later when the idiots would get drunk and ride through town firing indiscriminately. Point is: while we have a more accurate vision as to what the Constitution says these days, Americans didn't always have that view. And, as has been pointed out, in a true Republic property rights are paramount. So if a privately owned business says NO FIREARMS, they are within their right to do so. Where I get off is when the GOVERNMENT decides to make the rules for everybody!

My understanding was that "Western Towns" prohibited carry by newcomers, not residents, am I incorrect? I was also under the impression that most of the "Wild West" drunk shoot em ups were the stuff of myth, not fact..

I do agree with the Government staying out of it though.. and I really do see both sides of the issue..

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

And if I have a no firearms policy on my property, you have every right not to enter. I am not disarming you, you are making the choice. Same with smoking/non smoking. I should have the right as the owner to decide what I want to go on in/on my property. It is no business of the Givernment, nor anyone else's what my choices are, so long as I am not doing something illegal.

Your Personal Rights are extended in public and on your property. They stop when you make the choice to enter mine.

Does your employer permit you to carry? If not, why do you work there, they aren't in the business of protecting you.

Top Bottom