• Poll closed .

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    Great info guys. Thanks

So what is my best defense against an attacker who is a wrestler? Obviously, I'll have to be fast, but where is their weakness or gap?
    Unfortunately, wrestling is so good because few gaps exist for high level people. Lower level or weekend warriors will have more openings, but that would also require you to be at the same level in order to exploit them.

Will they try to take me to the ground by going low? Leaving head and neck exposed?

Perhaps on the takedown. Again, a good wrestler does not leave his head and neck exposed when doing a good takedown, not to mention the speed at which it all would happen. A shoddy wrestler...sure they may leave their head out of position for some sort of an attack.

Will they immobilize both of my arms?

Its pretty difficult to ever immobilize both of someone's arms...especially while standing. On the ground it requires at least a little bit of time. Most attacks in BJJ isolate an arm leaving the other free. Unfortunately the one that is isolated may be getting ripped, torn, broken, etc but in theory you'll be free to access a tool. That gets into one of these theoretical parts of a fight. Couldn't hurt to have a tool accessible by either hand.

Do wrestlers work in a strong side vs. weak side fashion?

See above for good vs mediocre. If you are standing straight up and down and don't see it coming, a "wrestler" could take you down from either side. It's laughably easy to take someone down with about any kind of "shoot" if they are standing straight up and not expecting it. This is a really good time to get familiar with lowering your level. Maybe try to develop a trigger where if you see anyone doing something that is trying to get you off balance, drop your weight down, get your feet apart, and get a solid base. This won't always save you, but it may help either slow down the process (allowing tool access) or make them go out of position giving you a chance at some sort of attack. Again, all out the window with a "good" wrestler.

Would a strong side knife fake take focus from a weak side Karambit or neck knife deployment?

I would maybe ignore the idea of a fake. Fake means wasting time. If you are going for the strong side knife, go for it. If someone gets 2 - on - 1 (both of their hands overpowering one of your hands) you may have a bit of time where your offhand could access a tool. It's a maybe but a tool on the off-hand side, again, isn't a bad idea. I carry a centerline fixed blade knife that can be accessed from either side. Still doesn't mean I could get to it, but I like my chances more with that than a strong side clipped knife if someone gets ahold of my right hand.

About the only "cheat" to stop a wrestler from taking you down aside from lowering your base is a whizzer. All of you wrestlers don't flame me...I understand it doesn't always work. If you can practice and get good and reactionary at grabbing a whizzer it can go a long way towards keeping you on your feet. You can find youtube vidoes on it, but it's essentially a deep overerhook. As the guy goes for a takedown, you can overhook his arm, lower /widen your base and either stop his takedown or sort of throw him off to the side giving you time to move. It's not a be-all end-all, but it can work. In the picture below, black shirt is grabbing a whizzer on grey shirt. If he were to pivot on his left foot and spin to his right, he could possibly throw grey shirt on his ass, especially since he has his other wrist. When I say it's a "cheat" I mean there are MMA guys who have gotten very good at takedown defense who make the whizzer a key to their game. A big strong guy who is fast enough, has a good base, and has a great whizzer can effectively neutralize a wrestler's shots. I know there are a lot of wiggle words, but unfortunately its hard to be much more specific. These are just my observations in the little bit of wrestling I've done. I just met a guy who coaches at a local high school who is going to start training with us. His sons are also wrestling coaches so I'm hoping I can get more knowledge in this area soon, along with some bruises I'm sure.

09-Whizzer-01.jpg

EDIT: Quick video of the "throw" possibility of a whizzer. Turn down the volume, the music SUCKS.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEt162f-ZAc[/ame]

Davis0023

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Aug 30, 2011
    NorthCentral Indiana
    My Instructor/guru always taught us, "I can give you a ranking and it sounds and looks nice. However, regardless of your ranking, if you use what I teach on the day you need it most and it works for you, then your a black belt. If it doesn"t work, then what good was your black?"
    The moral is learn and learn, try to avoid the fight, if you can't the take them hard. Because regardless what rank you are it ony matters that you walk away safely as possible.

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Then or now, and how many assailants? Now? No, entering middle age, my old minor injuries have caught up with me and I would sound like a hypocondriac whining about where it hurts. Seriously, with bursitis and arthritis in the same shoulder, I can't even really throw a ball let alone a punch.

Top Bottom