• ...and so much more!
  • Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Good evening everyone.

I am starting my EMT program next month through Methodist hospital, did anyone else work through this program? How was it?

Also as a new EMT where did you work, or where should a new EMT start?

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I never worked as an EMT. I was a volunteer w/a local fire dept. and I was on the emergency response team at a GM plant. Try Seals or another ambulance company. How about becoming a firefighter (if you are 36 or less)? I imagine if you keep it up and like the job that you will decide to become a medic one of these days and Ivy Tech Lawrence has a good program for that.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Good evening everyone.

I am starting my EMT program next month through Methodist hospital, did anyone else work through this program? How was it?

Also as a new EMT where did you work, or where should a new EMT start?

I am almost done with an EMT class taught by I-EMS instructors. I can't speak for the program at Methodist, but I'm sure they are similar as the end goal is to pass the state written and practical exams. The hospital and ambulance shifts are great experience and if you are able to do more than what is required I would highly recommend it. Learning from the book will get you the basics but the hands-on and stuff you observe will make it sink in.

stephen87 just finished up (or is close to finishing) his EMT class as well and would be a good source of information.

I'm a JBT full time so I don't plan on working for an EMS provider, but I may see if one of the local FDs or I-EMS will hire me part-time so I can keep my skills up.

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    My main goal is law enforcement(In college for that) I picked up the EMT program due to possible lay-offs at work in 2013. I would really like to work at I-EMS; however I heard they do not hire new EMT's don't know it that's true or not?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Exactly what Frank said. Get in the ambulance and in the ED and get hands on. When you're in the ED, don't take a minute to sit around unless it's dead. Go into rooms with nurses and Paramedics and get your hands dirty. When you're on the ambulance, request to tech as much as possible. I had some great runs, but a lot of our runs were ALS runs, so I couldn't do as much.

I actually have my written test for my cert tomorrow and will post how that goes. I have one app out there that looks very promising and when I get done with my test and pass it, I'm putting a bunch of apps in. I could probably give you a good lead or two, but right now everyone wants in as a wheelchair van operator and not many EMTs from what I'm hearing. I have talked to the owner of a couple different companies and they want EMTs not operators. Apply at SEALs and put that you are currently enrolled in a class and you'll most likely get a response. Samaritan Ambulance is hiring as well and might be able to hire you as a driver.

The main things they're looking for are clean records, both driving and criminal, and someone who's willing to learn and not afraid to admit when they don't know. If you want, I have a list of about 15 EMS providers in central Indy area that I can send and you can flood the market as you see fit. If you have any other questions, feel free to message me and if I don't know I'll find someone who does.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    The bad thing about Methodist is that this summer they had a huge fight with IFD/IEMS. They got removed completely from IEMS/IFD system including students and docs. That being said your options for street time would be greatly reduced. There is nothing like the high volume of busy city trucks. IEMS has a very solid EMT class experience. I would highly recommend that. They have the trucks, the people and the access to more than any other EMS education system in Indianapolis. EMT class is all about getting exposure to the system.

Most private ambulance services do transfers. If your a EMT that is where you start. Just do not get pulled into any of the stupid drama. Most places do not hire fresh EMT's for part time. Each company has its up and downs. The decent companies to work for include Seals, Rural-Metro, Care, and Trans-Care. I have worked or know friends who work for them. IEMS does have a huge manpower shortage at the moment. Another thing with going though one of their classes is good understanding of their organization and networking if you work out.

Reno316

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 7, 2012
    Muncie
    Exactly what Frank said. Get in the ambulance and in the ED and get hands on. When you're in the ED, don't take a minute to sit around unless it's dead. Go into rooms with nurses and Paramedics and get your hands dirty. When you're on the ambulance, request to tech as much as possible.

WORD!

I saw far too many EMTs fresh out of school climb into the back of my ambulance and not have the first clue how to do things like use a BVM or apply the defibrillator.

If you don't know how, ask. Do as much as possible. Ask questions all the time. Get your hands dirty (well, wear gloves, but you get the point.) If it's too busy for the paramedic or nurse or whoever to answer, ask later when it slows down.

Learn how to spike an IV bag.

Learn how to place electrodes for the cardiac monitor.

Learn how to say "I don't know the answer".

But more than anything, get involved in the patient care. I've pushed doctors aside so my paramedic student could intubate. Others will do the same for you, if you're willing to learn.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I saw far too many EMTs fresh out of school climb into the back of my ambulance and not have the first clue how to do things like use a BVM or apply the defibrillator.

How could they not know how to do those two things? Both are part of the cardiac management/AED scenario needed to pass the practical.

But more than anything, get involved in the patient care. I've pushed doctors aside so my paramedic student could intubate. Others will do the same for you, if you're willing to learn.

I don't know how other services are, but the clinical coordinator at I-EMS is very well known and when he shows up at Wishard the docs pretty much give him and his Paramedic students free reign to do whatever they are trained to do.

Loco179

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    The thing I hate is the fact that there are so many freaking EMT school farms. They just push out these "kids" and they have no idea how to do anything. They had no exposure to any of this in their class. The hospitals mostly have gotten rid of their ambulances now. They do not really care about the product they are producing. About 95% of these new EMT students coming out of class need to be trained. That is why most large systems do recruit classes.

You have to remember that most private ambulance services are filled with these "kids". Paramedics getting a license is a good first step to fixing this.

Top Bottom