• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sandman

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2009
    in denial
    Encore 500 Magnum rifle. Anyone have much experience with one of these? I have the .44 barrel, and just looking to expand my collection but have heard good and bad. The bad being mainly recoil. Any info. is greatly appreciated.
    Thanks

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I have no experience with that particular rifle, however I do have some experience with the caliber. Recoil in the .500S&W X-frame revolver is stout. The numbers I have run show .500S&W potential comparable speed and energy to many 12 gauge shotgun slug loads. 400-440 grain JSPs or JHPs running 1800-2000 fps. From a 8 3/8" revolver barrel. I'd say enough energy to take any animals in Indiana.
    That being said, recoil from your Encore rifle should not be any worse than deer slugs from a 12 gauge.
    The Encore has a lot of potential in this caliber. The rifle is certainly strong enough for it. There is a site sponsor here that may be able to make you a barrel. At any rate, he can add to my small observations on this thread.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    It isn't often you see one shooting much less than 2" groups at 100. I'm sure a lot of that is operator induced.

The ones I've seen shoot 1.5" or less have had hanger bars and professional trigger work, along with a bit of weight or a mercury reducer in the stock.

If it is something you just want to hunt/plink with, and would be satisfied with the kind of accuracy I mention above - the Katahdin 20" barrels usually go for $315 with tax.

Otherwise, step up to a custom for another $125 or so and get tightened throat dimensions and a higher quality barrel blank.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Adding weight will make CONSIDERABLY more difference than a muzzle brake on this cartridge & platform.

Why not both? I have the Contender in .45/70 govt. 16" barrel w/ muzzle brake. My brother has the same set-up, minus the brake. That alone, makes a pretty noticeable difference.

fireball168

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Dec 16, 2008
    Clinton
    Considering a 350g load for each, near safe maximum for both in their platform as discussed above.

Muzzle pressure on a 500 S&W, 20" barrel is a little less than 4000 psi.

Muzzle pressure on a 45-70, 16" barrel is a little more than 6000 psi.

Apples and oranges.

I can add a pound of weight for a little bit of nothing, or $55 for a mercury reducer that will do MORE than its weight.

$55 won't buy a muzzle brake before I flip the switch on the lathe.

jy951

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 18, 2009
    I had a factory Prohunter 500 barrel and sold it and went custom. The accuracy reports aren't all that good with the factory barrels. Mine has a muzzle brake on it and recoil isn't too bad. Accuracy is 1 MOA easily.

I think I've read somewhere the factory barrel like heavier loads like 400 grains and up.

buzzard pickins

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2009
    Out by the Prague pond
    IMO a good source for information on encores and contenders is BELLMTCS.COM. You will find information on easy fixes for accuracy problems. By that I mean, oversize hingepins and developing proper head space thru shims. He evens offers a free download on trigger jobs. I had the opportunity to meet Mike at the spring Tulsa show, and first impression, he didn't try to sell me anything, advised me to read first.

Top Bottom