Enfield No. 5 Mk1 Jungle Carbine...any info appreciated.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Here are some pics. As far as I can tell, its a 1945 BSA manufacture. Blued finish...although very nice, not original black....who did it? I don't know. Serial numbers? Scrubbed or can't see. Maybe removed when re-finished, not sure. Any info appreciated. Action is very smooth and overall condition is very nice.

Last edited:

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    The "Lightening cuts" are what people look for, for authenticity...or so I've read. I've also read they are a real handful to shoot.

But hey, what's up with that Polish UF kit?

The Polish UF kit I just picked up a week or so ago. The barrel is from a SAR-1. Multiple builds are coming soon. Picked these beauties up from the last 1500 several weeks ago. Got a handul of other barrels as well. I won't say what I paid...don't want anyone getting jeolous...or maybe even being sick to their stomach.

Left to right:
    Uknown possible threaded type 3 on weird Maadi Intermec trunnion/receiver
    Maadi
    Wasr 10
    Saiga
    SAR-1

ak barrels.jpg

Last edited:

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    Your pics aren't showing up for me either. Perhaps try a different format? Because it certainly sounds interesting!

mrzachary

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2012
    Your pics aren't showing up for me either. Perhaps try a different format? Because it certainly sounds interesting!

I changed all the pics from referencing a url to uploading them from my computer. They aren't as big now until you click on them but hopefully they show up for you guys now.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Looks legit. Great shape actually. With all the British proofs on it, looks, like it was a "civilian" export? I have a 38/200 Smith and Wesson that has all those same marks. Love the short Enfields.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    So, what's the legality of having a no# weapon? I always thought that was (while silly) a bit of a no-no.

Other than that, nice looking gun. I have a '42 #1 MkIII that was sporter-ised and should be about the same weight and size. I like shooting it. I heard that due to the method used to lighten the action that high use might cause the action to bind. Like most faults like this though unless you're well down a weapons useful life (and don't plan on using it in battle soon) that might not matter so much.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    So, what's the legality of having a no# weapon? I always thought that was (while silly) a bit of a no-no.

Other than that, nice looking gun. I have a '42 #1 MkIII that was sporter-ised and should be about the same weight and size. I like shooting it. I heard that due to the method used to lighten the action that high use might cause the action to bind. Like most faults like this though unless you're well down a weapons useful life (and don't plan on using it in battle soon) that might not matter so much.

Any gun made prior to 1968 isn't required to have a serial #, although most that were made overseas have them. I had to inform my insurance company of this on a couple of my older guns.

Psode27

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2011
    Rochester
    I have one, very cool rifles. I don't shoot it much though. If I recall, the sights are notoriously known to move after being shot, and aren't known for being terribly accurate.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I have one, very cool rifles. I don't shoot it much though. If I recall, the sights are notoriously known to move after being shot, and aren't known for being terribly accurate.

Yes, they're known for a "wandering zero", but I think it may occur mostly when the rifle is fired a lot in a short amount of time (barrel heating) as in a battle situation. For the average range shooter, it's probably not a serious issue.

Top Bottom