• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    I’m always on the quest to find general purpose lubricants that work well for firearms applications. Mostly because there is little, if anything to all of these so called, “Specialized Gun Lubes” that make them that. And while I can’t prove it, I for one believe most all of these “gun lubes” are in fact nothing more than repackaged general purpose lubricants, with the price per ounce jacked up through the Stratosphere.

I recently came across Lucas Engine Assembly Lubricant while I was prowling the isles of my local Auto Zone. It comes in a 4 ounce twist top, plastic dispenser bottle. I think it was around $4.00, or close to that. I tried it on my AR-15’s and found it really works well for lubricating the bolt carrier group. It also is a very good lube for slides and slide rails on auto pistols. It has a nice thick viscosity, and stays put without running out, all over the gun.

Another application I used it on with very good results was the hinge pin and mono block on my O/U Trap shotguns. Again it’s heavy viscosity keeps it where it belongs. It say’s it has an operating range from 0-F to 450-F, which falls into most all gun applications, except in very frigid Winter climates. I also used it on several of my AK-47’s with very good results. And on the frame tabs, and slides of all my Glocks.

There are several makes of these engine assembly lubricants. Some of them are more of a grease base, while others like the Lucas brand are more of a heavy liquid. The Lucas brand I bought also says it contains rust inhibitors in it, which helps in most any firearm application. It also prevents galling, which makes it very good for Stainless Steel firearms. Stainless Steel firearms have a greater tendency to gall from contact of like Stainless Steel surfaces against each other. A little of this stuff goes a long ways. And if it can help a newly assembled engine from damaging itself, guns should be a cake walk for it. This stuff works very well, and is extremely cost effective. It will be my “go to” lubricant for a lot of my gun lube needs from now on. It should serve gun owners well in a multitude of different firearm lubrication requirements. Just thought I would pass it along.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Still pushing not using gun specific lubrication eh?:) Just kidding. That stuff sounds interesting. What is the aroma like? I knew some guys who used Lubriplate but that's a little thick as far as I'm concerned.

I'm okay with saving money, though at the rate I use lubes, it will be a long time before I need new. I am actually thinking of giving my liter bottle of Hoppe's 9 away so I can justify buying something that doesn't eat my Latex gloves. That stuff can't be good, even though I have used it my entire life.

billt

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Glendale, Arizona
    Still pushing not using gun specific lubrication eh?:) Just kidding. That stuff sounds interesting. What is the aroma like? I knew some guys who used Lubriplate but that's a little thick as far as I'm concerned.

I'm okay with saving money, though at the rate I use lubes, it will be a long time before I need new. I am actually thinking of giving my liter bottle of Hoppe's 9 away so I can justify buying something that doesn't eat my Latex gloves. That stuff can't be good, even though I have used it my entire life.

There is very little odor to it. What little there is isn't bad at all. This stuff is amazingly slick and tacky. It really stays put on AR-15 bolt cam pins and where the bolt carrier makes sliding contact with the receiver. I'm going to it instead of grease for my AR-15 lube requirements, because from what I've seen, this stuff doesn't seem to attract dirt and carbon like grease does.

Redtbird

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Apr 18, 2012
    Monroe County
    I found this a while back. "Sta-Lube Engine Assembly Lube, With Moly-Graphite"

I checked what PRasko said, and it doesn't have that particular ingredient. It's not too thick, not sticky, and works really well. Found it at PepBoys.

Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I used comp cam assembly lube to break in the ridiculous S&W made ppk/s. It did work really well to smooth things out and make it reliable. Be careful though, if it's not oiled regularly with that goo on, it will dry up and gum up the gun. Hammer block stuck open on mine until I cleaned it all out, not something I'm comfortable with.

87iroc

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    Bartholomew County
    Lucas Oil sells a gun lube now. I bought a bottle similar to that with gun lube in it at Rural King. I have both the engine lube in the garage and the gun oil. Will have to check out the difference. Gun oil is probably a bit runnier would be my guess.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Don't know! While I am sure some of the Automotive and general purpose lubes will work ok, (I lubed my firearms with 3 in 1 oil for several years cause I couldn't afford "gun lube" as a lad), I would be somewhat concerned about the lube attacking plastic parts, not functioning properly in extreme cold, attracting contaminates, becoming "gummy" after long term storage or providing little protection against corrosion. As I don't spend a whole lot on lubricants or cleaners compared to ammo and other costs related to my firearm obsession, I certainly am not going to spend the time to run the tests, or take a chance on lubes not doing their job in my guns. As an Engineer in Industry, I did spend a lot of time researching lubricants and protective coatings, I have tested some that actually destroyed many plastics, some that caused parts parts to seize up in cold temps, etc.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    As I've said in another thread:

Be sure that you know what you want from a product before you use it.

It honestly doesn't matter to me what anyone else uses: But if you want something just for lube - then just get a lube. If you want a lubricant AND a corrosion protectant - get one of those.

Not all lubes will protect against corrosion, and not all corrosion protectants will lubricate. Some do both quite well.

Something else to consider: How things work when at temperature extremes. I'd expect an automotive lube like in the OP to do well at higher temperatures. But what about at freezing temps and below? I mean - not like we had several days below zero last winter or anything.

Again - matters not to me what anyone uses. There are no magic products and extremely rarely will there even be a "new" one (new combinations of existing things, sure).

Just know what result you want and choose accordingly.

-J-

Top Bottom