• ...and so much more!
  • JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    So are the real engineers doing work right now instead of monitoring INGO? :dunno:

As I type this, I'm hearing The Family Guy playing the office next door and the guy next to me is watching The Flash that he downloaded here with BitTorrent. :popcorn:

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    My first experience as an engineer was gained on HO scale...

Then I got my BSEE from U of Akron ('01) and my MSEE from JHU ('07).
    The last few yrs been doing more systems/security engineering.

-rvb

dwh79

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 20, 2008
    Wanamaker/ Acton
    So I guess us technologist don't count? As my grandfather said engineers design the targets technologist blow them up. Or we technologist making the butt hole you engineers draw on paper fart.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Here's an ME that needs to call Purdue and demand a refund. I was told that today was the first day this cart was used.

TheUziButton

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 28, 2011
    I'm a retired mechanical engineer.
    Now I just do contract work and fiddle with various projects like this...
    SpikesBilletGen2_06.jpg

KnightsPrintLowHG_02.jpg

Valmet78Trunnion.jpg

SAXDmBarrel.jpg

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Then I think my degree is the nerdiest.
    M.S. Systems Engineering.

"What do you do?"
    "I produce paper."
    "Oh, like Dunder Mifflin?"
    "No, I spend my day writing documents - product requirements, work breakdowns, concept of operations, risk assessments, product life analysis, trade studies, system engineering plans, configuration management, specif...HEY! Did you fall asleep?"

Uh, yeah, if you could get those TPS reports turned in, that would be great...

EE, primarily test & measurement, especially in RF. That means I calibrate a lot, that kind of thing. I do have enough technician in me I can do component level repair on hugely complex equipment, often with no service manual, and that includes mechanical component fabrication.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Oh, and though I could have had several, I never pursued any patents. I did know the ChemE that held the patent for laboratory synthesis of a form of LSD-25 :cool:

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    BSME, Rose-Hulman, 2009

I don't really have one area of focus but mainly I reverse engineer obsolete systems so that replacement parts can be manufactured and effective repair procedures can be implemented for parts that cannot be replaced or are too costly to replace. I do a lot of CAD work etc... I work for a "machine shop" in a sort of way. I do my job so the machinist can do his...

I believe all (mechanical) engineers should have to spend time on the service line before they are set free to cram components into designs wherever AutoCad claims they'll fit.
    I am an engineer, and I agree with this. Engineers need to cut their teeth in the place where their work dictates how somebody else does their work. Once they understand that they can create more efficient designs. FWIW, I could step onto the machinist floor and do their job ~80% if I had to. My experience in the machine shop allows me to better understand what they are capable of and what makes their job very hard.

Of course, that doesn't mean I'm perfect, I've made a few bonehead designs that made the machinist's life difficult, but I learned from those mistakes...

Same with my dad. He never got a degree, and was more intelligent and skilled than his degreed peers. Of course, he worked for DOD, which means that the less-capable ones got the promotions over him, merely because they had degrees.
    My dad is also an "engineer without a degree". I cannot credit him enough with the awesome up-bringing I had. I wouldn't be an engineer without all those nights in the farm-shop tinkering around with stuff, with dad right there beside us "making things better" and teaching us what he knows. I can honestly say I don't know half of what that man knows when it comes to hands-on, practical life-skills....
    So many Rose alums, and surprisingly enough I even find a fellow Pike alum. And I even met this one in a previous life!
    B.S. CS/CE - 2001
    Pike Alum here...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I'm not an Engineer, but I work with many of them, Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical Design, and Environmental.

I have great respect for Engineers, and I love hanging out with them because it's the one group in which I feel like I can more than hold my own socially.

TaunTaun

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    I'm a nuke, does that count?

In my opinion, yes. Nukes are sort of the red-headed step child of engineering. We get to actually work on items like a technician, and we are better educated and knowledgeable in field specific specialties. I'd take a Nuke EM over a EE grad fresh out of college any day of the week for electrical design and help.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm not an Engineer, but I work with many of them, Chemical, Electrical, Mechanical Design, and Environmental.

I have great respect for Engineers, and I love hanging out with them because it's the one group in which I feel like I can more than hold my own socially.

Oh you are a sick SICK man! Hahahaha.

By the way did I tell you the difference between an Extroverted engineer and an Introverted engineer? Rhino - HUSH!

Top Bottom