• ...and so much more!
  • Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Hey guy and gal..

My dad has been a little down lately and to cheer him up my mom wants to get him a English Bulldog. Anyone breed them, or know someone who does? Looking for a brindle and white one.

Thanks

No2rdame

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2012
    Noblesville
    You may be able to find a rescue organization for that particular breed who can work with your mom to get a dog. It may not be a puppy, but it is likely to also already be housebroken. If she's not as adamant about having only an English bulldog I would say to look at Indy Animal Control or the Humane Society.

Contrary to what some people believe, animals that are surrendered are not necessarily "damaged goods," and rescue organizations and humane societies work to ensure the animals adopted out have good temperaments.

poppy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2012
    South of Indy
    Excellent suggestion by nascar. He even posted the link for you. Another suggestion is to attend the Indy winter classic dog shows @ the fairgrounds. The shows begin next thursday and continue thru sunday. We have dogs(not english bulls) entered and if you are interested, we have the times and ring assignments for each day for all breeds. You can also go online to roy jones dog shows(they are the superintendents of the show) and view the judging program. Most exhibitors are more than willing to talk about their breed in the grooming area. Just approach them in a courteous manner and let them know you are interested in learning more about the breed. One question that you should not ask is price.

poppy

bcskypilot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jan 22, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    We had our first Bulldog for 15years. Our new one is 2 years old. They are amazing dogs with an incredible temperament.

image.jpg

That said, it is important to know going in that they are one of the most demanding breeds out there. Multiple health issues not to mention they tpically ooze something from every crack, hole and orfice on their bodies... Find a reputible breeder and pay a little extra. I would suggest learing as much as you can about the breed before pulling the trigger. if you are local in Indy and want a great breeder I would start with Faye Richardson with Empire Bulldogs Empirebulldogs@aol.com Here is a another good resource Bulldog Club of Indiana

Good luck!

Last edited:

firehawk1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 15, 2010
    Between the rock and that hardplace
    They are amazing dogs with an incredible temperament.

image.jpg

^This^ While I am no big fan of dogs, for a dog IMO the English Bulldog is hard to beat. They think they are a lapdog, a BIG, HEAVY, lovable lap dog. :D

My wife and I had one years ago, bought it as a pup. We couldn't find any in Indiana so we had one flown up from a breeder in Oklahoma. They ARE NOT cheap dogs, we paid $600 for the male pup back in the mid '80's. We named him Winston, is there a more fitting name for an English Bulldog?:D

bcskypilot

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   1
    Jan 22, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    ^This^ While I am no big fan of dogs, for a dog IMO the English Bulldog is hard to beat. They think they are a lapdog, a BIG, HEAVY, lovable lap dog. :D

My wife and I had one years ago, bought it as a pup. We couldn't find any in Indiana so we had one flown up from a breeder in Oklahoma. They ARE NOT cheap dogs, we paid $600 for the male pup back in the mid '80's. We named him Winston, is there a more fitting name for an English Bulldog?:D

They know how to toss that weight around. They have great personality & character. Expensive, but worth the $ and the headache. Our lap dog...

image-1.jpg

Tdcompton

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    PLEASE do your homework about this breed and it's long list of health problems!!!!!!!!!

I rescued an English Bulldog that lived to 14 years old and she had a $300 bill every time she went to the vet even when we just went for her basic checkups... And I was lucky b.c she only had to have one surgery in her lifetime and didn't have palate issues... She did have bilateral allopecia, dry eye, cherry eye, and life long ear infections which eventually lead to her losing her hearing.

I now own another rescued Bulldog and I am thankful that I am now much better prepared on what to expect in terms of health and maintenance...

This is NOT a breed for someone who isn't willing to do daily upkeep..

66chevelle

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    greenfield
    I have raised and used to bread bulldogs for years now. I would make sure you learn everything you can about them before you buy one. A lot of people have problems with them but knock on wood my have all been very healthy and happy dogs. I started out by buying a female from my vet in Knightstown. He has been breeding and showing bulldogs for a long time. Last time I talked to him he had a male for $2300 and a female for $1800 but that was about a year ago. I would never buy or have my dog's breed by anyone else other then Vet Wilson. If you are interested in calling him PM me and I will send you his information.

Top Bottom