English-Only Bill Heads for House Floor (IN)

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cburnworth

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 13, 2010
    I think that anything gov related(state/Federal) should be english only. In reading the article they say that it wouldn't save any money, because of the exclusions. I say there should be no exclusions. All business should be conducted in ENGLISH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jdhaines

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    Toledo, OH
    I agree...no exceptions. If you need paperwork in another language for a health / safety reason then, in your own best interest, you better learn the language fast!

M1 carbine dad

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 16, 2010
    Danville
    Thanks for the video Kirk, I liked it. :)

I agree that the only language should be English (Sorry, not the queen's English though). BUT it should be that way nationwide. Doing it in Indiana is a good start and certainly there should be zero exceptions.

When my grandparents came here from Poland (dad's side) and Holland (mom's side), the very first thing that happened was they signed up for English classes. They knew that if they wanted to succeed they needed to speak the language of the country they came to.

Unfortunately, the pervading "touchy feely-ness" in this country has allowed a lot of that due diligence to go away in a flurry of political correctness and over-sensitivity.

We need to wake the heck up and make some very tough changes in the way we do things or this Republic will stop circling the drain and will plunge right on in.

<<< rant off >>>

Peace

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    In the spirit of state unity, I actually like this idea. But here is where it loses me -

"Those exceptions appear to cover voter registration forms and Indiana State Department of Health fact sheets, and may also cover applications for food stamps, Medicaid and the Hoosier Healthwise children's health insurance program. The state now makes all those documents available in English and Spanish."

If it would save the state money and time, I think it should all be printed in English. I wouldn't expect to move to any other place in the universe, live off of their people and not even bother to learn their form of communication.

I think we should be receiving immigrants with open arms, but their arrival to our state should mean a few things. They should let go of their homeland heritage (flag, language, laws), learn their new rights along with our language, and be educated on how our system of laws works. It's a win-win. It's all about education, pride, and respect.

Although America doesn't have an official language, our Constitution wasn't printed in French or Spanish on the back.

opus1776

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Can you say that in Gaelic?

Originally Posted by irishfan
    English speaking...HELL YES!! Englishmen only....I have a suggestion where you can put that idea;)

Ag labhairt Béarla ... ifreann TÁ! Englishmen .... ach tá mé moladh áit ar féidir leat a chur ar an smaoineamh.

Well, at least according to the google translator ;)

======================================
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels" K. Moss

You can NEVER be too rich or too thin.

Life is not a journey, but a series of unplanned detours...

Perfection: is not a goal-- it's an demanded expectation.

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    gadsden-flag-dont-tread-on.gif

If for no other reason, English should be our one language so everyone can heed this warning.

Ramen

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    I think we should be receiving immigrants with open arms, but their arrival to our state should mean a few things. They should let go of their homeland heritage (flag, language, laws),

You can learn English without giving up your original language. And there is nothing wrong with parents teaching their children a language other than English. I do agree that the government can choose to conduct official business in a common language or languages.

However, I find it kind of sad that US citizens (not government) don't put an emphasis on learning other languages.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, by thinking they should know your language instead of you learning theirs."

Not implying that you think this lashicoN as you stated you wouldn't move somewhere and not learn the local language(s). Just generalizing.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    In the spirit of state unity, I actually like this idea. But here is where it loses me -

"Those exceptions appear to cover voter registration forms and Indiana State Department of Health fact sheets, and may also cover applications for food stamps, Medicaid and the Hoosier Healthwise children's health insurance program. The state now makes all those documents available in English and Spanish."

If it would save the state money and time, I think it should all be printed in English. I wouldn't expect to move to any other place in the universe, live off of their people and not even bother to learn their form of communication.

I think we should be receiving immigrants with open arms, but their arrival to our state should mean a few things. They should let go of their homeland heritage (flag, language, laws), learn their new rights along with our language, and be educated on how our system of laws works. It's a win-win. It's all about education, pride, and respect.

Although America doesn't have an official language, our Constitution wasn't printed in French or Spanish on the back.
    :+1:

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    HOW can a country that's a "melting pot" of immigrants speaking about 140 languages from all over the world survive without EVERYBODY being able to speak a COMMON LANGUAGE?

Nobody is saying it should be illegal to speak MORE THAN ONE LANGUAGE, JUST that English needs to be ONE of them.

Anybody who would have us believe that it's workable to have a country without a COMMON LANGUAGE and instead have 140 languages spoken by people UNABLE TO COMMUNICATE with each other is either an idiot, or somebody who wants the USA to fall apart.

Come on, this is elementary school civics... LOL :-)

Last edited:

lashicoN

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2009
    North
    You can learn English without giving up your original language. And there is nothing wrong with parents teaching their children a language other than English. I do agree that the government can choose to conduct official business in a common language or languages.

However, I find it kind of sad that US citizens (not government) don't put an emphasis on learning other languages.

"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, by thinking they should know your language instead of you learning theirs."

Not implying that you think this lashicoN as you stated you wouldn't move somewhere and not learn the local language(s). Just generalizing.

I think we're on the same page. Learning a second language is great. I took French and Spanish during school and learned a bit of German on my own. There are several occasions and opportunities for bi-lingual people, but in the spirit of one unified, well-working state, I like the idea of having an official language, I don't care if we have to make up our own, it should be something that is ours and something that we encourage our citizens to speak. All of our founding documents and writings are in English, so English makes the most sense.

Communication brought us out of the caves. Life is hard if you can't communicate with you neighbors and countrymen. I, personally, have no idea why anyone would want to move to the United States and not bother to learn English. I can't see how anyone would flourish that way. I also don't think it's healthy for Indiana to have sects of people coming from other countries all living in one area, speaking only their native language, continuing their native customs. If we can't communicate, it's hard to bond together.

We should all be Hoosiers, not Canadian-Hoosiers, not Mexican-Hoosiers, not California-Hoosiers, just Hoosiers. Man, I can't stand the word Hoosier, though...:):

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    I agree in chief. However I do have one concern. The only issue I have is with legal immigrants / visitors / tourists who are in need of help. Do we tell German or Portuguese speaking tourists to the Super Bowl next year or the 500 every year that they are out of luck if they need any government service while visiting? I think this bill would have some unintented consequences that should be considered.

level.eleven

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    I agree in chief. However I do have one concern. The only issue I have is with legal immigrants / visitors / tourists who are in need of help. Do we tell German or Portuguese speaking tourists to the Super Bowl next year or the 500 every year that they are out of luck if they need any government service while visiting? I think this bill would have some unintented consequences that should be considered.

There won't be unintended consequences because the bill won't have any impact as most forms and services are off limits to its reach. It was determined that it would save no money. The bill's author, can't name a single aspect of government that it would effect. The bill simply plays to the fears of a certain segment of her district. She's just looking to cash in on anti-latino sentiment.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis

How so?
    Nobody is saying it would be illegal for somebody to speak German or Portuguese, just that the COMMON language of this country is English.

Not to mention that even as things are NOW, if a German or Portuguese person walked into most government offices across the country and attempted to communicate in their native language, it's unlikely anybody there would speak German or Portuguese.
    My sister works in a government services office and I KNOW this would be true there.

So are we to have translators for 140 or so different languages on call at all times at taxpayer expense?

The answer is, if you're gonna visit a country that speaks a different language, you should at least learn enough of the basics of THEIR language to be able to get connected with somebody who can help you.

And if you're gonna move there for an EXTENDED period of time, you need to learn THEIR language.
    They have NO obligation to learn yours.

Lastly, because the USA is a melting pot of 140 or so languages, a person coming here who doesn't speak English would have an easier time of it than most countries I would bet,

Top Bottom