• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    Ok i have been helping a buddy out at work setup his first reloading setup. He bought the rcbs swager combo, as i have had great results with. He was doing some prep work tonight and asked how he could tell if he had enough swage on the primer pockets. So my question is how do you explian this to someone? I usually use the rcbs combo and the instructions say turn 1/4 turn after touching the web. I do 3/4 turn in my experience and have not bent a rod yet in about 5k segregated cases by headstamp. The best explaination i could give him was to use the id measuring side of his calipersand spin the case and see how the needle was. If the crimp was not swaged enough the needle would bounce and feel gritty. Now at first you will be scraping carbon, but should smooth out. And adjust down until the needle acted as described and should also measure in the realm out .1675-.1685. I could have answered you will know if its not enough if it wont prime, but looking for a better explaination to give him.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    What looks good is good...

Hay JD, that's kind of hard to explain..If the rim of the crimp is pushed back then it is good..

The EASIEST way to set up the RCBS swage tool, is to use a deprimed, NON CRIMPED WW,R-P, F-C, or other commercial case.

Screw down the die body until you feel resistance against the swage stud, and then tighten down the lock ring/nut.

Be aware that there are different thicknesses of the case web on some military brass, so you may?? need to do minor adjustments BEFORE you bend the swage stud in the die.

FWIW: I also "Hit" the primer pocket, after swage, with the pointed end of my case mouth deburr tool, to just barely cut out the crimp ring that is left...Bill.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I have one coming from Midway and hope I can get it set up properly. I never knew anything about crimped cases until I got into reloading and when I checked my ammo, I found out I have about 2,000 Federal and Independence 5.56 rds. Oh my. :(

Jdubbs

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2015
    Dearborn County
    Slow and steady. Its not hard. Ive heard the older ones had worse rods, thus they bent. You can feel if your putting too much on it. Honestly there are times i dont hit my stop and they swage just fine. It doesnt take a bunch of muscle honestly.

Top Bottom