• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fergie22

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2010
    walkerton
    :patriot:now this administration wants to name a naval vessal after a commie named ceaser chavez what there are no american heros left? how about every police officer and fire fighter and ems from 9/11 how about every passenger that brought down the last plane on 9/11 i did 2 tours in nam so this could happen in this country i have had enough stop this now
    :patriot: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15::patriot:

semper fi

SEIndSAM

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    May 14, 2011
    Ripley County
    :patriot:now this administration wants to name a naval vessal after a commie named ceaser chavez what there are no american heros left? how about every police officer and fire fighter and ems from 9/11 how about every passenger that brought down the last plane on 9/11 i did 2 tours in nam so this could happen in this country i have had enough stop this now
    :patriot: :ar15: :ar15: :ar15::patriot:

semper fi
    Where did you hear that? That's un-freaking believeable!!!!!!!! The only bright side is if they keep pulling crap like that they will for sure be a one term President.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    First, Thank you for serving your country! I wholeheartedly agree, why would anyone name a ship after any commie...well except for China, or North Korea. Don't blame me I didn't vote for that Kenyan-Keynesian Muslim!

$mooth

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 27, 2010
    Texas
    Since when did the President get involved with naming cargo ships? I've been involved with naming aircrafts, and those get run past a General at best. I wouldn't think that naming a particular ship would go past the Admiral level, even if it was a carrier.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Ceaser Chavez was an American born citizen. He fought for his beliefs in that he supported unions, inspired Mexican-Americans to vote, and worked to restrict immigration (in that it led to lost opportunities of other Americans).
    You can call him "commie" if you want, but that doesn't change the fact that he was American, fought for what he believed (as any American is entitled to), and made great progress for Mexican-Americans.

Fergie 22, your service is greatly appreciated. I cannot extend enough thanks to you, but the reason why you were in Vietnam, and my father, was so that people like Chavez, could fight for what they believed, regardless of how you personally felt about it.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Didn't Chavez also do a stint in the U.S. Navy as well? I don't see what all the hubbub is about. He was a great civil rights leader in his time.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    Didn't Chavez also do a stint in the U.S. Navy as well? I don't see what all the hubbub is about. He was a great civil rights leader in his time.

From the article: " 'Chavez is quoted as saying that his time in the Navy was the worst two years of his life. And his background as a labor activist is hardly a qualification for naming a Navy ship after him.' " and "Chavez' biography says that 'in addition to discrimination, he experienced strict regimentation' in the Navy."

So, yeah. He pretty much hated the Navy, and I would agree that we shouldn't be naming warships after civil rights people.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    From the article: " 'Chavez is quoted as saying that his time in the Navy was the worst two years of his life. And his background as a labor activist is hardly a qualification for naming a Navy ship after him.' " and "Chavez' biography says that 'in addition to discrimination, he experienced strict regimentation' in the Navy."

So, yeah. He pretty much hated the Navy, and I would agree that we shouldn't be naming warships after civil rights people.

I think he said he hated his time in the Navy. Not that Navy itself. Which was largely in part do to the jobs that they forced Blacks and Mexican Americans to have. If I recall, Mexican Americans were only allowed to be painters and deckhands at that time with little to no ability for advancement. Not to mention, the wonderful comradery and respect he probably got being a minority. Can't imagine why anyone in his position wouldn't love that time in his life when he thought going there would teach him a broad range of life skills.:noway:

A5guy

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2011
    Steuben County
    AH, what the hey? Jeramiah Wright was a Marine AND a Navy Corpsman.
    John Murtha was a Parris Island drill instructor. All's well till you speak your mind.:patriot:

Last edited:

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Kinda wondering if you've got the wrong Chavez in mind, pretty sure you're thinking of Hugo C. of Venezuela.

This isn't to say I agree with the choice, however.

Last edited:

SemperFiUSMC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    In a related announcement, the US Navy announcing it will name its new deep-water probing submarine the USS Harvey Milk.

Bond 281

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Broomfield, CO
    I think he said he hated his time in the Navy. Not that Navy itself. Which was largely in part do to the jobs that they forced Blacks and Mexican Americans to have. If I recall, Mexican Americans were only allowed to be painters and deckhands at that time with little to no ability for advancement. Not to mention, the wonderful comradery and respect he probably got being a minority. Can't imagine why anyone in his position wouldn't love that time in his life when he thought going there would teach him a broad range of life skills.:noway:

Regardless of the reason he's not exactly a poster boy for the Navy.

The military needs latinos to enlist. Good public relations move.

I actually talked to a recruiter a few months ago and at the time they really had no lack of enlistment at all. And, as the article mentioned, there are definitely other Latino options to draw from.

christman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2010
    Terra Haute
    Regardless of the reason he's not exactly a poster boy for the Navy.

That I can agree with as the facts lay, but I wonder how much more he would have done with his time in if he had lived in more "accepting" times.

I'm not saying the ship should be named after him, I'm just saying that at least he was actually in the Navy.

60Driver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 9, 2010
    Hamilton County
    I will politely refrain from comment on the choice of this ship's name. I will however point out that it is a USNS (supply ship crewed by civillians) not a COMBATANT, and ultimately its purpose along with the rest of our armed forces is to defend our freedoms, and make our nation a safe place to express ones ideas without fear of reprisal. What KUTNUPE14 stated is exactly correct.

I will instead take great heart in the fact that the US Navy's newest COMBATANT DDG-112 is proudly named the USS MICHAEL MURPHY. Named for Postumous Medal of Honor winner SEAL LT Michael Murphy. A truly worthy name for a fine man-o-war! Her motto "Lead the Fight"

Last edited:
    Top Bottom