Entering the NFA world with first Suppressor.. Please help with selection 30 cal

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    First off thank you for any help with this.
    I am wanting to make my first NFA purchase which will be a suppressor. I would like a 30 cal option rated to at least 30-06 and be able to also use it on my 5.56. The biggest thing I've noticed when looking is there is a huge selection out there with options but then I need to be able to find it in stock locally also. I have been looking at HTA Chameleon 30 cal and also the harvester 30 but both I have not found in stock. I am just south of Fort wayne and would be more than willing to travel a bit if I can find a suitable choice in stock somewhere.
    If you can please provide some recommnedations and price I would like to keep around that $750 mark or under if possible. I did see on Silencerco website there is a SPEQ program which I qualify for but would need to find a dealer that participates in the program.
    Any help would be appreciated as personal experience is a great source of information.
    Thank you

Reid

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 7, 2012
    I don't have any personal experience with HTA, but I recommend a little research before you jump right in. They've had their name ran through the mud, even here on INGO. Just my 2 cents... I was in the same situation with my first NFA purchase and went the .22 can route. Like you said, there are a LOT of options... I think your price point may be a little low for a quality .30 can, remember this is a lifetime purchase, after a 5 month wait you don't want to regret it. Check out DEAD AIR Suppressors before you make a final decision. GOOD LUCK!

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Also, keep in mind the resale on cans isn't like guns at all... that $200 transfer fee means nobody pays well for used ones. Therefore, research carefully and plan on keeping what you buy for a long, long time. Price is pretty much irrelevant in the long term.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'd watch this:
    https://youtu.be/iL2Q2DIX76o MAC has lots of answers.

I'd go with the Griffin Recce 7 or Optimus (I'm personally looking real hard as the Optimus). Cooper Custom in Valpo is a Griffin dealer.

Or if you are excited with the Speq program check with Down By The Tracks, they are the Speq Dealer for Indiana. In that case I'd look at the Omega or the Hybrid.

The Hybrid and Optimus are multi caliber cans with the Hybrid going up to .45 and the Optimus going up to 9mm. The Optimus is user serviceable the Hybrid is not. Also think about the number of mounts you are going to need and factor in the costs.

Last edited:

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I am really digging dead air cans and will be my next 30 cal can

With that being said USDS in Greenwood is a SPEQ dealer for silencerco

Stimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Decatur, IN
    Thank you guys for the advice this far. I will research your recommendations.
    I plan on visiting Down by the Tracks this weekend to see some options first hand for silencerco. I was looking at the specwar thru them. I do understand the price point but there is some wiggle room and I was not including the tax stamp cost as I understand that'll be an additional cost.

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I personally go back and forth on a rifle can as they are still loud (and you should still wear hearing protection). I figure by the time I buy the can, some mounts and pay the stamp I'm going to $1200 into it. I just don't know if I'll get my moneys worth so I haven't quite pulled the trigger on one yet.

croy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Apr 22, 2012
    Indiana
    I personally go back and forth on a rifle can as they are still loud (and you should still wear hearing protection). I figure by the time I buy the can, some mounts and pay the stamp I'm going to $1200 into it. I just don't know if I'll get my moneys worth so I haven't quite pulled the trigger on one yet.

Using the right caliber and subsonic ammo they're not that loud at all.
    My thunderbeast cb7 on 300 blackout is quiet enough running 110 grain up to 220 grain to shoot without hearing protection

HK Guy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Using the right caliber and subsonic ammo they're not that loud at all.
    My thunderbeast cb7 on 300 blackout is quiet enough running 110 grain up to 220 grain to shoot without hearing protection

Subsonic blackout is quiet, however my usage would mostly be in full power 5.56 and some occasional full power .308 (thus the wavering back and forth).

Top Bottom