• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2014
    warsaw
    Looking more into turning a profit from my hobby, I have been considering buying more firearms with the idea of an investment in mind. I know that anything discontinued, or military surplus is a good bet, but can anyone give me suggestions on lower priced ($1,000 or below) firearms that will be particularly profitable in the future?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I'd invest in an FFL first if your primary aim is to make a profit as you stated :rolleyes:. Obviously buying and selling, etc is not an issue in itself, but specifically setting out to make a profit through repetitive purchase and resale is and there is no specific number given to repetitive, so I would not necessarily state on the internet that I was specifically going to devote time/attention to dealing for profit.

https://www.atf.gov/sites/default/files/assets/pdf-files/0813-firearms-top-12-qas.pdf

At what point should I obtain a Federal firearms license (FFL)? How do I obtain a FFL?
    Federal law requires a Federal firearms license if you are engaged in the business as a firearms dealer, manufacturer or importer. A person is engaged in those businesses, as it applies to each license type, as follows:

3. Dealer in firearms -- a person who devotes time, attention, and labor to dealing in firearms as a regular course of trade or business with the principal objective of livelihood and profit through the repetitive purchase and resale of firearms, but such term shall not include a person who makes occasional sales, exchanges, or purchases of firearms for the enhancement of a personal collection or for a hobby, or who sells all or part of his personal collection of firearms (18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(21)(C));

Last edited:

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    If you're looking for something that will increase in value during the next "scare," take a look at loading up on high (normal) capacity magazines, or just any AK, AR, or SKS "assault rifle." Any mag over 10 rounds will have increased value, because 10 seems to be the target number for antis, and somehow 10 rounds (and under) make guns less.... whatever.

If you're looking at collectible firearms that will be worth a lot of money but are relatively cheap now, your crystal ball is as clear as ours, and if I knew, I'd probably be all over them.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I wish I could go back in time and buy up a bunch of K98 Mausers, M1 Carbines, Garands, etc., but alas the flux capacitor in my DeLorean is on the fritz... :(

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    If you're looking for something that will increase in value during the next "scare," take a look at loading up on high (normal) capacity magazines, or just any AK, AR, or SKS "assault rifle." Any mag over 10 rounds will have increased value, because 10 seems to be the target number for antis, and somehow 10 rounds (and under) make guns less.... whatever.

If you're looking at collectible firearms that will be worth a lot of money but are relatively cheap now, your crystal ball is as clear as ours, and if I knew, I'd probably be all over them.

As to the first part: I wouldn't consider them much of an investment. Realistically, the amount of money you would get out of them would not likely be worth the initial investment of time and resources. Sure, you'd make some but I think it wouldn't be much.

Second part: collectables that will be worth more later, don't Mil-surps tend to have that habit? They're cheap when the gettin's easy but as soon as supply runs out, price jumps. Regardless, I think you're right in that we can't know for sure. We can just make guesses and hope we're right.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Older Winchester lever guns, like pre-'64 1894s that are in good, unmolested condition can be had for a few hundred and will never decrease in value. The same can probably be said for older Marlin and Savage levers. Bolt guns....pre '64 Winchesters that are unmodified. GI issue 1911s, but they are getting pricey already. Older Browning and Remington autoloading shotguns, or nice doubles by reputable companies.

If the aim is to buy guns to enjoy that will hopefully appreciate, assuming you are owning them for years at a time, I don't see any legal issues.

leftsock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I don't really consider firearms or firearm accessories to be an investment that accrues a monetary value fast enough to be worthwhile. If you love firearms and want to collect, that's fine. If you're willing to buy a firearm and hold onto it for 20-40 years, you could just as easily put your money in an S&P 500 index fund at any discount brokerage, and probably get a better return in the end.

iuhoosier95

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2013
    Indiana
    I don't really consider firearms or firearm accessories to be an investment that accrues a monetary value fast enough to be worthwhile. If you love firearms and want to collect, that's fine. If you're willing to buy a firearm and hold onto it for 20-40 years, you could just as easily put your money in an S&P 500 index fund at any discount brokerage, and probably get a better return in the end.

^^^What he said^^^ Personally, anything from WWII that is from the US or Germany that is correct/very good shape does well - but unfortunately both are already expensive so arent going to jump to make lots of $$$. Some of the other cheap stuff will SLOWLY go up, but will never command a premium. For example, while Mosins may be fun, they are just not something most collectors pine for.

As for old Colts (SAA etc), Winchesters, etc... They are pricey now and quite honestly as the old timers that collect them start passing away in my opinion they will start to drop in value. Some will not agree on that, but how many young collectors are jumping to spend a few thousand on an old revolver, lever gun, or bolt actions? - they want the semi autos (WWII and new "assault" stuff) etc... And as less and less young people hunt, less people grow up with the bolts and levers. Just my take and I may start something saying that as everyones tastes are different.

And there is your problem, if guessing future values were easy everyone would do it. Buy the best example of the guns you like and if it goes up great, if not you have something you like.

TheFireArmorer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Bloomington
    If you really want to make a profit, buy magazines with capacity over 10 rounds. Lots and lots of magazines. Buy them while they're cheap and wait until the next panic and unload.

People complained about the ridiculous prices during last years panic, but a lot of them still forked over the money because of the possibility of never getting them again.

A $10-$12 pmag was seling for $50+. $30-$40 33 round glock mags were selling for $100+. Do the math... the profits could be staggering. But it's a gamble, you don't know for sure if that will happen again (though common sense says it probably will.)

Some guns were going for 2-3 times their normal prices, but magazines were going for 3-5 times their normal price. A much better profit margin.

And before anyone jumps my case about taking advantage over other gun owners, let the experience of last year's panic be a lesson. You should be buying as many as you can right now so that you don't find yourself needing more when prices do get crazy again.

scootn103

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    If I could go back in time , mp5s and other select weapons would be in abundance in my stash , but would be for sale in the current market .

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Pick what you like to shoot and don't think about it. I've seen a lot of stuff go up over 40 years, some a little some a lot, but it all goes up. The key is to enjoy what you are shooting.:)

asevans

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 26, 2011
    Brownings, colts, smith and wesson revolvers. Belgium hi-powers, older 70 series colts, gold cups, old smiths. thats what i spend my money on. but its what i like. i dont think they will ever go down in value.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2012
    Southern Indiana
    great topic. I would invest in M1's and other Military surplus rifles. some of them are beginning to really increase in initial cost, so if you can buy them now then do it. 5 Years ago M1 Carbines were selling for 400-500. Now you can't find one under 750. Garands can be had from the CMP for 625 and usually sell on gun broker for 800.

Top Bottom