• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Letch

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    A friend of mine is looking for a solution to the groundhog infestation on his farm. After my personal rifle proved a viable option to his problem, he decided he needed to get his own. So here I am looking for a solid entry level rifle on his behalf. I haven't done much research in this area in awhile but I hear good things about the Ruger American. Any others I should take a look at that? Personal experience appreciated and he's trying to keep the package <$500.

scatwater

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    North East Indiana
    Savage 93 in 17 HMR.. with the Hornady Vmax bullets.. 7 yards to 150 yards. That last one was a little luck with the wind I had that day... Deadly combination. 14 woodchucks have died this year to that combination. 2 more with my AR 15.

No pictures of kills will be posted.. CNN is watching...:tinfoil:

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    New England / H&R makes a top break in .223. Mine is fairly accurate, as long as you let the barrel cool down between shots.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    I have a Ruger American in 22-250 now, owned a Savage Axis at one time but a 308, had an H&R 204, I also have a Mossberg 243. In the past I did nothing but switch barrel savages in numerous calibers.

For an entry level gun if he wants a centerfire I buy a Ruger American and throw a Nikon Prostaff or Bushnell trophy XLT on top and he will probably be close to his mark but maybe a little over. I bought my American for $340 plus tax, add rings and a scope.

he could also pick up a H&R with the thumb hole stick for $280 plus tax

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Mossberg makes a pretty good little bolt action called the MVP. It shoots .223 out of AR-15 mags. We have two in our family, they are both sub MOA rifles.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    You have success with .22mag and groundhogs? I only have experience with .223 and .204 and have heard mixed things about most rimfire and groundhogs.

A center hit causes the little beast to grab its chest as it expires. It does not ruin a lot of meat. Ground hog is very tasty. I do try for head shots. Not always possible.

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    You have success with .22mag and groundhogs? I only have experience with .223 and .204 and have heard mixed things about most rimfire and groundhogs.

Consider that the .22 WMR has more velocity at 100 yards than a typical .22 LR at the muzzle, and yes, it will do the job on groundhogs. And for 50 rounds for under $15, it's still somewhat of a bargain. Same story for the .17 HMR.

Nevernoluck2

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 3, 2014
    Peru
    You like the Ruger? And I was thinking about going .223 simply due to only/first rifle, ammo availability/cost, etc.

I almost picked the 223 they had on the shelf up for the ammo cost instead of waiting for them to order the 22-250 but I like just a little more speed and have the most rifle shooting experience with the 22-250. Another good round for what your wanting would be a 222 if you can find one in that price range, had an old Remington 600 in that caliber and shot groundhogs and coyote with 40 grainers

in the long run you have many options, start picking guns up until you find the one

Tlam13

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Bloomington
    Love my Ruger in 220 swift for long range varmints, but hard to find one in that price. The 223 is a good option and affordable ammo

Htrailblazer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Franklin
    I have over 20 kills with my Savage Axis .223 and love it. I use ballistic tipped ammo and they never move after being hit. I would buy the new axis II with accutrigger in .223 and a decent scope and be done.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    is this a dedicated (read: heavy) varmint rifle, or an all-around performer that will ALSO do varmint work?
    I ask because I've made the mistake of buying heavy guns for "walking" use, and light guns for varmint use...
    weight and a heavy barrel are good if you aren't walking around a lot - barrel is slower to heat up.
    Anyways, now my recommendations:
    get something in .223 just for simplicity of ammo availability, or if a .22 LR will suffice, get that.
    Sounds like around $500 is the budget
    Ruger American (and their new line of Ruger American Varmint rifles with heavier barrels) are good
    Savage Axis
    Thompson/Center Venture
    Remington 700 ADL/SPS on sale
    Howa (1500??) is another option
    MOssberg MVP is also an option

I really like the Thompson/Center guns since you get 5R rifling and an affordable package.

I'd suggest he find a used one, can probably get it as a package (w/ scope) around $350-$400. Hell, on the right sale, you can find most of these new for $400-$450 with a basic scope

Top Bottom