• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Ok. I took my Eotech 552 to the range yesterday to sight it in. The Larue rail locked up nice and tight but the knob that attaches the Eotech to the Larue rail snapped. The even better part, it broke with some of the threads stuck in the one side! Is there a replacement part for this? Maybe some thing made a little better? Nothing like firing 3 rounds of 7.62 to break parts...lol. ANY help would be welcome. I would suggest to anyone that buys an Eotech to get the metal protective cover immediately. It saved my bacon yesterday.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Hmm, Ive had many Eos over the years and mounted on all different calibers and I have never had anything break.....

Get the replacements from EoTech but I would purchase and install the oversized knob/ screw, they are available from Brownells for around $10 IIRCC.

This will help you tighten it, but be careful to not overtighten. Sounds like it was either shot loose then broke or maybe a metalurgic issue with the bolt threads.... ? Any pics?

Keep us posted,

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    Ok. I took my Eotech 552 to the range yesterday to sight it in. The Larue rail locked up nice and tight but the knob that attaches the Eotech to the Larue rail snapped. The even better part, it broke with some of the threads stuck in the one side! Is there a replacement part for this? Maybe some thing made a little better? Nothing like firing 3 rounds of 7.62 to break parts...lol. ANY help would be welcome. I would suggest to anyone that buys an Eotech to get the metal protective cover immediately. It saved my bacon yesterday.

I bought the EoTech XPS and a LaRue LT-110 mount, so my set up isn't exactly what you have, and I'm going off memory so....

I'm pretty sure that my LaRue came with an allen head crossbolt that replaced the knurled knob crossbolt that came with the EoTech. I have my knurled crossbolt in my AR parts box, and I don't remember purchasing a different bolt. Point being that you may already have a replacement laying around. I bet that you could email EoTech and/or LaRue and they'd send you their version of the crossbolt. That doesn't explain why yours broke, but it may be a fix if you can get the piece that's stuck in the sight out...

I'd try using the broken piece to back it out first; bolt rarely break smoothly so there may be enough "roughness" to allow it to grab while you push down on it while backing out. If that doesn't work, maybe you can coax it out with a jewelers screwdriver? That would be time consuming, but I would NOT smack it with a punch; it's not a brittle tap.
    :twocents:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Thanks for the input. I checked to see if it was tightened before I started to shoot. I would upload pics if I wasnt on my phone. Will snap some though.
    I will check through the box I got everything in to see if I missed something.
    Good suggestions.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I know, I know. I just couldn't let that perfect set up go to waste. :D

If this fool ever gets on here and reports that his Aimpoint broke (or even if the batteries died), feel free to berate me openly and send me all the EOThingy ads you like. ;):laugh:

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I bought the EoTech XPS and a LaRue LT-110 mount, so my set up isn't exactly what you have, and I'm going off memory so....

I'm pretty sure that my LaRue came with an allen head crossbolt that replaced the knurled knob crossbolt that came with the EoTech. I have my knurled crossbolt in my AR parts box, and I don't remember purchasing a different bolt. Point being that you may already have a replacement laying around. I bet that you could email EoTech and/or LaRue and they'd send you their version of the crossbolt. That doesn't explain why yours broke, but it may be a fix if you can get the piece that's stuck in the sight out...

I'd try using the broken piece to back it out first; bolt rarely break smoothly so there may be enough "roughness" to allow it to grab while you push down on it while backing out. If that doesn't work, maybe you can coax it out with a jewelers screwdriver? That would be time consuming, but I would NOT smack it with a punch; it's not a brittle tap.
    :twocents:
    After reading your post, I remembered seeing an allen head bolt somewhere and did some looking. I managed to get the broken section ofthe previous bolt out (after making it into a screw) and used the other bolt.
    Eotech is back on and ready to go AND I didnt have to get an aimpoint!..lol

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    I have seen...5 broken EOtechs.

0 Aimpoints.

Just my experiance tho, I would buy a EOTech but not for anything other than range use. It is in the "Primary Arms" catagory for me.

I got my Aimpoint Micro for 299 :) woo!

byggpoppa

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 22, 2010
    NW Indy
    I think Yankee Hill makes a replacement also, may have been GG&G. Regardless I loved my Aimpoints... I had a T-1 and an M4s, they did a great job at letting me know I needed an Eotech :)

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    I think Yankee Hill makes a replacement also, may have been GG&G. Regardless I loved my Aimpoints... I had a T-1 and an M4s, they did a great job at letting me know I needed an Eotech :)

Like I am thinking, opinions vary from person to person. Tastes also vary. For the deal I got on my Eotech with a Larue mount, I couldnt say no. If I ever see an aimpoint with a Larue mount for the same price, I would buy it also. I just know I wont EVER see an aimpoint set up for the same price.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Yep I agree, its a preference thing. I do believe the Aimpoint to be more rugged, but how much ruggedness does a civilian really need? I consider mine to be a little over the top when it comes to battery life and ruggedness.

Its more than I need.

Like I say, I would buy an Eotech, and use it like I use my Primary Arms sights, on the range.

Turn them on when you need them, turn them off when you dont. None of this "Leave it on for 15 years" business.

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    I sold off an Apoint and a few EoTechs after I got a couple ACOGs..... their rugged, built like tanks and never go off or need to be turned on... + they are magnified !!!

OP, glad to see you got the broken end out and a new bolt in so you can at least use the sight. I still have a 512 and prefer it over the Apoints... those micro sights look silly on ARs !!! ;)

mammynun

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 30, 2009
    New Albany
    After reading your post, I remembered seeing an allen head bolt somewhere and did some looking. I managed to get the broken section ofthe previous bolt out (after making it into a screw) and used the other bolt.
    Eotech is back on and ready to go AND I didnt have to get an aimpoint!..lol

Good news! Glad you had what you needed!
    :ingo:

Top Bottom