• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2ADMNLOVER

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 13, 2009
    West side Indy
    Considering the "buy once , cry once" approach and looking for opinions from folks that have used them .

What do you like or dislike about them ?

What model and reticle ?

Would you buy another one ?

Is their another brand or model you'd rather have ?

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    i had a 512 that used AAs. it was very easy to use with both eyes open. i liked i could use my BUIS through the glass. the reticle was clear and great for close distances.

i didnt like the battery life. the 512 is also big and kinda bulky. the reticle was great for killing zombies, but not great for more precision shooting (obviously).

I stole a 3x ACOG (TA33-8) on Ebay. After using it once, the EoTech was sold. ymmv. i will admit i am awaiting a Primary Arms clone because i redeveloped the red dot bug.

farva118

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    I had I think it was the 552/553.A65 for a long time. It used the N style batteries, which died if left on and were hard to find. I like the principal of the EOTech and the design, I just wouldn't buy the one I had again. I may invest in an XPS 2 in the spring, but will most likely buy an aimpoint instead. You just can't argue with the battery life of the aimpoint.

GlockRock

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I have a 512 and a 517 with an XPS 2 ordered. I like everything about them. They both have the 65MOA ring/1MOA dot which I like. I've never used an aimpoint so I dont have an opinon them, but you wont be disappointed with an Eo tech.

RichardR

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2010
    I like Eotech's in general because of the 65MOA ring = super fast target acquisition & I like the XPS model in particular because of it's small size it doesn't take up as much real-estate as the older models.

I like Aimpoints too but if I was offered a free Eotech or a free Aimpoint (my choice of any model of the two) I'd own another Eotech XPS.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    I have an XPS2.0 and love it!!!!

65MOA puts you on target fast and the 1MOA dot can't be beat when you wanna get up close and personal.

Battery life is pretty good, it also has a "I am STUPID feature" for when you leave it on. 4 hours I believe.

Love the fact that it takes 123s same as both my lights.

I have used both Aimpoint and Eotech and of the two I prefer the Eotech especially for Close Quarters work.

Aimpoints are great and have lots of nice features in my opinion you can't go wrong with either I just like my XPS2.0

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    Had 3 of them over the years that I had bought for good prices, sold them all. Hated the battery life, hated the default brightness setting, hated the auto off. The first one I had was a N battery model, the other 2 were the 512 with the AA batteries. Even shut off they still drained the batteries. About the only thing I liked was the reticle. :):

My preference now are the newer AimPoints that you can leave turned on for YEARS and not have to wonder about the battery.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I'm liking the new EXPS that has just the 1 MOA dot without the 65 MOA circle, I'm just not liking the price. it also has side controls as well which is nice.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I've never owned one and I personally prefer Aimpoints. That being said. . .

What do you like or dislike about them ?

Likes: Fast donut-dot reticle, less expensive than Aimpoint

Dislikes: built-in mount, battery life, overall size/weight, 'busy' reticle, battery contacts on older models, button functions, button location, auto functions

What model and reticle ?

EOTech really fixed a lot of their previous shortcomings with the XPS line. Like smaller size/weight/footprint, longer battery life, better battery position, better button position.

Would you buy another one ?

No. See first line above.

Is their another brand or model you'd rather have ?

Yes. Aimpoint Micro T1/H1. Smaller, lighter, more mounting options, simple reticle, 5-year battery life, simple controls.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I also have an N bat model and agree that the 65MOA ring is awesome and that the 1MOA dot is good for distance, however the battery life SUCKS and the N bats are hard to find. Not sure about other model battery lives but don't get the N cell.

If i had to do it over again I would get an Aimpoint, I would rather have the 65MOA ring, but the bat life can't be beat on the aimpoints. I am actually thinking about selling my EoTech and getting an aimpoint, but the price on those is crazy high.

MilitaryArms

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    I own several of each. The biggest drawback to the EOTech is that is sucks batteries like no tomorrow. I have several Aimpoints that I literally haven't changed the batteries in for over 6 years and I've left them on in the safe for 6 months at a time by accident. If you use your EOTech often you'll find yourself swapping batteries regularly.

I've also noticed that my EOTechs don't like heat. On my Ultimak base (AK) the EOTech will take about 3 or 4 mags in rapid succession before it shuts down. The Aimpoints will continue to work even when they're too hot to touch.

EOTechs look good, but if you want super rugged reliability, the Aimpoint is the only game in town.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I also have a 512 AA battery version. Not mounted on anything... you can borrow it if you want and decide for your self, then if you like it, we can play Let's make a deal ;)

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Older M2s or new C3s can be had around the EOTech price range. You can generally find M2s in LaRue mounts in the $400 range on the used market.

I think i have seen some as you describe, but I am looking at probably getting a Comp M4 and THOSE are ridiculously expensive.

The XPS's have about 600 hours of run time on a single CR123.

I was specifically talking about my N cell model, as that is all I have experience with, but that is good too know, Thanks.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    I think i have seen some as you describe, but I am looking at probably getting a Comp M4 and THOSE are ridiculously expensive.

Yes, they are. So ridiculously expensive in fact, that I don't personally understand why anyone would buy one of them over a T1. :dunno:

What drew you to the M4?

rfontes

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 23, 2010
    Noblesville
    i have a 512, im very happy i bought it. they're just cool sights... am i happy i paid $350(could have bought another gun), no, but does my carbine feel complete now, hell yeah. still waiting for my 30 dollar rebate from eotech...

Last edited:

col132

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2010
    I have both an Eotech and several Aimpoints. Actually, I prefer the recticle of the Eotech better than the Aimpoint dot. However, the first shot I took with my brand new Eotech (not a good idea) at a 3 day EAG class, the Eotech went dead! First friggin shot. Mike was able to fix it but I have been soured on Eotech ever since. My recommendation would be Aimpoint for durability and reliability.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    Mo Money

I have a bushnell holosight that takes the N batteries on a 22/45 and I've gotten anal about takin the bttrys out when I'm done playin'. They were made by Eotech. I'm tempted to buy an Aimpoint for my new AR but I think I'm gonna save up about double and buy an ACOG instead. Then I won't have to worry about the bttrys.:yesway::twocents:

Top Bottom