• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Medical costs......clear evidence to me that when the gov't succeeds in regulating, capitalism fails

CavMedic

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Plainfield
    You can get multidose vials of 1:1,000 so that you don't have to worry about the fragments from ampules AND you can get them in 1ml, so that reduces the chances of inadvertently giving too large a dose. This is the way I have gone. I am not paying those epi-pen prices.

Sure, that is the better way, but just waanted to make sure that someone going DIY knows what kinda things to get so that they are aware of the cons.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Maybe someone can explain this to me. What's so special about the injector?
    I was in the navy 85-91, and I remember nerve gas antidotes with auto injectors. So why is this one so special?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I was in the navy 85-91, and I remember nerve gas antidotes with auto injectors. So why is this one so special?
    It's not. But unlike the injectors you used, these injectors are backed by a government patent which prevents competition.

EDIT: or they were protected too, but since .gov was the sole client, it really didnt matter.

Last edited:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    How do you go about getting a bottle of epenephrine? Same way you go about getting the auto inject?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

Those atropine injectors are probably very expensive, but few people have purchased them privately, so we don't know about them. Probably the same with the morphine syrettes that military medics carry (or did).

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    So anyone know firsthand what the price was a couple years ago? (actual purchasers/users, no speculation please)

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    yeah...insulin since 2012 has increased almost 1000% yes...10 times

Democrats...what are they good for? Absolutely nothing
    Congress...what is it good for? Absolutely nothing

I can't speak for the epipen but I do know a little about insulin manufacturing. Prices on things will always go up. We can be running normal, doing everything exactly how we're supposed to and one audit from the FDA or EMA makes us have to change things. Changes cost money. It's a part of business. If you find a product that is able to maintain a low price and change it's because they find a cheaper way to make it or cheaper materials. We can't do that with medicine. Everything we use costs a premium and the prices will keep going up.

I want good medicine when I need it. We all do. The FDA, EMA and others like them are the problem and they have limitless power.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I can't speak for the epipen but I do know a little about insulin manufacturing. Prices on things will always go up. We can be running normal, doing everything exactly how we're supposed to and one audit from the FDA or EMA makes us have to change things. Changes cost money. It's a part of business. If you find a product that is able to maintain a low price and change it's because they find a cheaper way to make it or cheaper materials. We can't do that with medicine. Everything we use costs a premium and the prices will keep going up.

I want good medicine when I need it. We all do. The FDA, EMA and others like them are the problem and they have limitless power.

The FDA is definitely part of the problem when it comes to cost of medicines. So is greed since it produces the lobby that influences the choices the FDA makes.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    In the past 6 years the FDA has increased audits many many times over what it did prior to Obama. The documentation requirements alone are beyond burdensome. Read this as documentation is required for the documentation of the documentation. What once took ten people to accomplish now takes 100 and that is just the beginning.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    My friends, the only thing that will even begin to inspire competition in the market is a presidential administration change. Extreme federal regulation of food, drugs, business, etc. is over the top at this time. Let alone the insanity of Obamacare and all it encompasses.

One guy says he'll fix this. Just sayin'...

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That's the kind of innovation that gives me hope for our species.

It's also the kind of thing that could spur some competition in the market.

Competition = better products, better availability, & better prices

Sorry rhino. Agree with you in principle, but the govt (FDA) has been actively thwarting competition. The only current solution is to bypass govt regulation and do it yourself.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Sorry rhino. Agree with you in principle, but the govt (FDA) has been actively thwarting competition. The only current solution is to bypass govt regulation and do it yourself.

Seems like the mechanical part could be manufactured without labeling it for medical use and completely bypass FDA.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    That's a bad idea all around. I believe moving from container to container messes with the shelf life of the medicine which ultimately affects the potency. It isn't something I'd ever gamble with unless it was shtf or similar.

Also, give those materials and instructions to a hundred people. See how many mess it up is some way. Not worth it.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    That's why the first words in my post were "Use at your own risk". If you are incompetent and unwilling to accept responsibility for the results of your work, then you shouldn't try any do-it-yourself project.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    Sterility and dosage. Two things you don't mess with. I've literally thrown away millions of dollars worth of medicine because there was a chance one of these were compromised.

Top Bottom