• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I am pretty sure security is and was their foremost concern.

No one is secure today. The only systems that can't be hacked are those that are not connected to anything. The best companies can really do is make things as secure as they can and watch everything, hoping to catch a breach before it gets bad.

You can layer your security and yes, the assumption is, there is always a breach, how do I protect the keys to the kingdom in such an event. Encrypting the data at rest, as well as on the wire, etc and many more protections to keep someone from doing anything with the data even if they get in.

Are breaches a reality yes. However, having this type of data get out in a usable form is something else all together.

Of all companies, this one should definitely get hammered for this though. They collect your info without you having to directly do business with them and they then end up getting hacked.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I made the same observation from the announcement and went out and looked up the DNS information. I was reluctant to even hit the site much less enter a partial SSN given how they had this setup. It just looks suspicious to anyone who is security conscious.

Mike

Yep, I hit the main website first and made sure it was linking to it, etc, and did some checks as well. Seemed fishy that they did it that way, but I've seen a few others do it that way recently as well.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You can layer your security and yes, the assumption is, there is always a breach, how do I protect the keys to the kingdom in such an event. Encrypting the data at rest, as well as on the wire, etc and many more protections to keep someone from doing anything with the data even if they get in.

Are breaches a reality yes. However, having this type of data get out in a usable form is something else all together.

Of all companies, this one should definitely get hammered for this though. They collect your info without you having to directly do business with them and they then end up getting hacked.
    They should definitely get hammered. I imagine depending upon how the breach occurred that some people will lose their jobs.

That doesn't mean that security was not their foremost concern.

I look forward to hopefully finding out how the details of how they got in and got the data out.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    Just heard on the news: The fine print in TOS of using their website to check for the breach releases them of their obligation to you for the breach. What a crock. Sh*t storm to commence as this plays out.

WebSnyper

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    Just heard on the news: The fine print in TOS of using their website to check for the breach releases them of their obligation to you for the breach. What a crock. Sh*t storm to commence as this plays out.

I'll defer to the INGO lawyers, but I have a hard time understanding how this will hold up. Maybe accepting their free services offer would, but just checking your impact? Seems shady.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I'll defer to the INGO lawyers, but I have a hard time understanding how this will hold up. Maybe accepting their free services offer would, but just checking your impact? Seems shady.

Yeah, it's shady as hell. I caught the story on Fox news. Brett Baier wasn't to happy about it because they and about everyone else ran with the story to check out if you were effected with that website. The fine print will get you every time. Hopefully it won't hold up in court.

Ericpwp

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    I don't believe that you are waving your rights by checking. It is the TOS for the monitoring product they are giving for free.
    [h=2]Product Agreement and Terms of Use[/h]Last Revised: May 2, 2017

It said I may have been breached and to return to enroll.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I don't believe that you are waving your rights by checking. It is the TOS for the monitoring product they are giving for free.

It said I may have been breached and to return to enroll.

got that message for the hubby and myself. not really a happy camper right now.

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    I don't know if this has been mentioned or not....

i recommend putting credit freezes on yourself at all these credit reporting agencies. I did it 10 years ago. No matter what data gets out, they can't open a new account anywhere period. I can't even do it unless I unfreeze it.

This. ^^^^^^^^

Just remember to keep your phone in pin secure if you ever want to lift the freeze temporarily.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    My data was sold off once by a hospital on the N.Side of Indy.
    It took a long time to fix stuff after this was found. Myself and over 240 others info was sold by a hospital employee. SS#s etc.
    I learned then that nothing was safe electronically. Anyone can steal your money if they have access to your info. The only thing stopping them is recourse from the law establishment. It turns out the law is pretty lame when it comes to electronic thefts and recovery.
    People are depending on a system that's entirely unstable these days.
    Play other's game and you'll always lose.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    When my wife passed away some scum used stolen info from a stolen laptop some idiot in the HR department took on vacation to Hawaii. A bunch of other people got screwed to. They had Bank info for direct deposit and SSN# for most of the staff. They filed for and got her last federal check. It took over 2 years to straighten it all out.

WanderingSol07

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2017
    North Central
    Per Indiana Attorney General, a few years ago, it is now free for Indiana residents to contact the three reporting agencies, Trans Union, Equifax, and Experion, and request your credit report to be frozen. This means anyone that tries to get a loan or open a credit card account will be denied until your reports are unfrozen. No matter what information they have about you, if they do not know the codes to unfreeze your reports, they cannot get a loan or credit card account. You can unfreeze your reports just by going online and requesting the thaw to begin on a certain day and to refreeze on the date of your choice. You should also contact your bank/credit union and see what additional security they can place on your account. Change your ATM pin periodically too. There are ways, zero cost, to protect your financials quite well. One of the best ways is to never give your credit card to anyone, always swipe it yourself, else use cash. This would prevent almost all credit card fraud, which we all pay for in the way of higher prices. You want a shock, ask your local friendly retailer how much they spend for the credit card reader monthly and what percentage of every transaction the credit card company gets. Wow!

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

They are actually using peoples desire to see if they've been breached to upsell a (mediocre at best) credit monitoring service. This is a new level of despicable, even for one of the big three (Equifax has always been the sketchiest of the three to deal with)

From: https://www.sandiegocan.org/2017/09/07/equifax-data-breach-is-trustedid-deal-trustworthy/

Equifax Data Breach: Is TrustedID Deal Trustworthy?

If you go to Equifax’ website thinking that you’ll learn whether your personal records are at risk, think again. Equifax won’t give you an answer to that very important question. Instead, they ask you to input your last name and partial SSN (against our recommendation), you’ll get a notice that looks like this: [deleted by me]
    This is just an invitation for you to open a membership with TrustedID — a credit monitoring service. Equifax never actually tells you whether your records are at risk. Essentially, they are using this news of a data breach to sign up AS MANY CONSUMERS AS POSSIBLE to this one-year deal, in the hopes that many of the consumers will automatically renew in future years. To borrow a nonlegal term: that’s slimy!

Haven

Network Warlord
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 6, 2016
    Camby Area
    I use ID Watchdog which does about the same as Lifelock and the rest. My wife gets it as a benefit at work. So we use it to keep track of all this crap.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I use ID Watchdog which does about the same as Lifelock and the rest. My wife gets it as a benefit at work. So we use it to keep track of all this crap.

That's cool to have it through work! Will they help fix problems after they are detected?

Top Bottom