• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    Through using survival and preparedness gear we all get personal experience with equipment failures. I find it beneficial to learn these issues for 2 reason. 1. to avoid them 2. to avoid bad products. If you feel the same please share and we can all grow together.

1. The eton scorpion radio: I really like this product, however while using it one night fishing, I went to adjust the antennae and it broke off. Replacements can be ordered but I see this as a major flaw.

2. The Ruger 10/22 Takedown: This item comes with a breech lock mechanism. I have never fired a shot though mine but I put the breech lock on it per the user manual. This lock has scratched the top of my receiver and devalued a basically brand new gun.

3. The Gen 4 Glock 17: Advertised as having adjustable backstraps. Mine came with them but they were so hard to install that I just gave up.

4. PMC Starfire 9mm: Normally I'll review anything before I buy it, but a buddy of mine said this was good ammo. Bought some on sale and watched the reviews and this ammo doesn't seem to expand as a hollow point should.

diablo750

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Middletown
    5. The enercell backup usb charger: I saw this on a video of another ingo user. Although very nice it has a push button that turns on the charger or a led flashlight. This push button seems to engage in my pack turning on the flashlight and depleting the battery. Will it work when I need it? Its a crap shoot.

6. Solar retractable charging cable: Seen this at a gas station and thought it would increase capability in charging and reduce clutter in my vehicle. The cable failed to work on the first use and I returned it to the gas station.

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Gas stations do returns!?

To the point though,it's a sad truth that you get what you pay for.That's the biggest thing I hate about being a gun nut.I can never find anything worth having that's in range of my severely limited budget.I go all year building up a list of wants just to wait for the next tax check so I can maybe get one thing off my three page list.

But on the other side of the coin,you appreciate everything you have a whole ton more.You'll never know how valuable a $.67 gas tube roll pin is until you lose one and have your go-to rifle out of commission...ask me,I just put one in after waiting almost two weeks.

Last edited:

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    "Backstrap hard to put on so I just gave up?"

And you're talking about a survival thread?

This thread delivers the LoLz.

Hey if survival isn't easy it's not worth it. That's why I have the entire "survival recliner package" it includes a solar powered foot massager and a hat that has two cans each of which has a straw to your mouth. But wait, there's more there is a modified harmonica brace that holds a freeze dried Icecream bar right in front of your mouth! That way, if surviving gets tiresome you can relax in the easy chair and you can take a nap without worrying about putting away your astronaut Icecream, and the best part is; when you wake up, you are ready to take the next delicious bite!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Through using survival and preparedness gear we all get personal experience with equipment failures. I find it beneficial to learn these issues for 2 reason. 1. to avoid them 2. to avoid bad products. If you feel the same please share and we can all grow together.

1. The eton scorpion radio: I really like this product, however while using it one night fishing, I went to adjust the antennae and it broke off. Replacements can be ordered but I see this as a major flaw.

2. The Ruger 10/22 Takedown: This item comes with a breech lock mechanism. I have never fired a shot though mine but I put the breech lock on it per the user manual. This lock has scratched the top of my receiver and devalued a basically brand new gun.

3. The Gen 4 Glock 17: Advertised as having adjustable backstraps. Mine came with them but they were so hard to install that I just gave up.

Apparently we define "equipment failure" and "bad products" differently.

How is a scratch an equipment failure? You haven't even test fired a brand new gun. You have no idea if it functions or not, so what is the basis for "failure"?

Installing or changing the backstraps on a Gen 4 Glock is trivially easy. The box contains instructions and a tool for pushing the pins.

Perhaps these "equipment failures" are a failure of another sort entirely?

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apparently we define "equipment failure" and "bad products" differently.

How is a scratch an equipment failure? You haven't even test fired a brand new gun. You have no idea if it functions or not, so what is the basis for "failure"?

Installing or changing the backstraps on a Gen 4 Glock is trivially easy. The box contains instructions and a tool for pushing the pins.

Perhaps these "equipment failures" are a failure of another sort entirely?

Rhino isn't out on this one?

Yeah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Dillingham, AK

I read that as a report on the performance of the locking device rather than the rifle. Though I can't imagine taking pointers from someone who doesn't know what constitutes a breech lock, and purchases a takedown 10/22 as a safe queen.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    The Gen 4 Glock 17: Advertised as having adjustable backstraps. Mine came with them but they were so hard to install that I just gave up.

I own a Gen 4 G26. It took less than 5 minutes to both read the instructions with the gun as well as install the backstrap. It's not difficult.

Here is a very in depth video to help. This video is specific to the factory backstrap kits with Gen 4 guns. This video does not address the kits that were only made by aftermarket companies for the older generations of Glocks.

[video=youtube;lhqC5abCj4s]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhqC5abCj4s[/video]

Katana1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2008
    Fishers, IN

Improvise, adapt and overcome. An alligator clip with a random length of wire makes a great antenna. They are cheap and you can even hook two or more end to end or to a random wire for an even longer antenna.

Top Bottom