• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Since ESEEs are high carbon, I know you are supposed to oil em to prevent rust. I've always been very anal about that, and I feel like it prohibits me from completely enjoying the knife.

Lets say I take it camping for the weekend, Friday afternoon through Sunday morning. Assuming it isn't dropped in the river or rained on, can I leave the Rem oil at home for the weekend?

Last edited:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Mine spent a year being abused for an entire year of Soldiering in Afghanistan with No Oil added or a stone across the edge...
    Not a bit of Rust on it, and amazingly it is still sharp enough to shave with...

I used it for everything from a shovel, to a pick, to small prybar, to a knife...
    Great Little Blade!
    If it can survive me for a Year it will be more than fine on a Camping Trip...

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    A weekend of camping will not affect the knife at all. Do not baby these knives. They are meant to be used and you can wait till you get home to have to clean it up before you rem oil it. :yesway:

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Since ESEEs are high carbon, I know you are supposed to oil em to prevent rust. I've always been very anal about that, and I feel like me prohibits me from completely enjoying the knife.

Lets say I take it camping for the weekend, Friday afternoon through Sunday morning. Assuming it isn't dropped in the river or rained on, can I leave the Rem oil at home for the weekend?

I left my ESEE 4 in its kydex sheath for just over a month untouched just to test the rust thing. When I finally pulled it out you could see must a little discoloring on the bare edge of the blade but no build up or major rust. It took about ten swipes on my sharpmaker to remove everything.

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    Excellent! I've been sticking with SS fixed blades for most outdoor endeavors, so I'm glad to hear I can quit worrying about my ESEE4 for a few days at a time.

Driller

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2010
    Noblesville
    I own and use an ESEE 4 and an Izula. When first purchased I oiled them often. Tyler put it best when he said, just use them thats the best oil. I would agree, the izula gets carried daily at work. It is subjected to mud and water very often. I just wipe it off the best I can and stick it back in my pocket. It is still just as good as new.

ironjaw

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Indy Northeast
    I own and use an ESEE 4 and an Izula. When first purchased I oiled them often. Tyler put it best when he said, just use them thats the best oil. I would agree, the izula gets carried daily at work. It is subjected to mud and water very often. I just wipe it off the best I can and stick it back in my pocket. It is still just as good as new.
    do you ever get out of the truck?

Top Bottom