• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Juday

Plinker
    Jul 12, 2011
    Well, after some further research, I've discovered the ESEE knives. The ESEE 5 in particular. I originally look at/wanted the Strider DB knife, but I think the blade will be too small. I'm just looking for a high quality knife that I can strap to my backpack that will be ready for any/most situations. It looks like the 5"+/- blade looks like the right size. It would be used primarily for camping/outdoor activities that can do it all. I don't care much for knives with serrations, so I'd prefer to have a solid, clean edge. Please bear in mind that I'm what you'd consider a "noob" when it comes to knives, so give me mercy. :D

Price isn't as important as quality/dependability when it's needed. I know Strider knives are expensive, but I'm guessing there's a reason they can charge that much....

Any other suggestions? Thank you! :cheers:

Kevin

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    Well, after some further research, I've discovered the ESEE knives. The ESEE 5 in particular. I originally look at/wanted the Strider DB knife, but I think the blade will be too small. I'm just looking for a high quality knife that I can strap to my backpack that will be ready for any/most situations. It looks like the 5"+/- blade looks like the right size. It would be used primarily for camping/outdoor activities that can do it all. I don't care much for knives with serrations, so I'd prefer to have a solid, clean edge. Please bear in mind that I'm what you'd consider a "noob" when it comes to knives, so give me mercy. :D

Price isn't as important as quality/dependability when it's needed. I know Strider knives are expensive, but I'm guessing there's a reason they can charge that much....

Any other suggestions? Thank you! :cheers:

Kevin

Based on your requirements, the ESEE 5 (5" blade) or ESEE 6 (6" blade) would be the way to go and I think the ESEE 6 would be better for general camping and outdoor activities.

Stridrers are great knives, but you will pay a lot more for them and really not gain any performance advantages. :twocents:

Hemingway

Expert
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    I post this every now and again but I've used ESEE's on several continents and really beat on them. They handle everything you'll need them to. The knives are rock solid, the owners of the company are too. They back their products 100%.

Brad and Knife Lady are some of the best vendors in the world so, I think you've got about the best combination there you could ever get.

FWIW, during a survival school I attended, a couple of guys had the 5. It's a beast and takes a beating but it's a very thick blade so it's not the best for any type of fine work. The 6 actually works better, even though it's longer. The 4 is the best compromise,in my opinion but everyone is different. I'd go with a smaller 4 or 3 and then one of their machetes. That way, you've got everything covered.

Good luck. You can't go wrong with their knives. And, I have several Striders as well. They are awesome, too but ESEE can't be beat for the money.

Juday

Plinker
    Jul 12, 2011
    Like everything I start to research, I just get frustrated as hell!

Now, I don't know which one to get. Do I go with the ESEE 4? ESSE 5? Or, the ESEE 6?...........:dunno:

And NO, I don't want all three! :laugh:

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.

Now, I don't know which one to get. Do I go with the ESEE 4? ESSE 5? Or, the ESEE 6?...........:dunno:

Sure you do, you just don't know it yet! :laugh:

Seriously though, I think the best thing you can do is look at all 3 in person, and handle them to see which one you like the best. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you are in the Indy or central Indiana area we could set something up or just catch us at the next show.

MadBomber

Master
    Mar 3, 2009
    Brownsburg

Why don't you want them all? As other posters have said, the 4 might be the best compromise for the usage you listed. But; for me, knowing I have a 3,4.5, Junglas and two Izula's means I have a fixed blade for just about any need that arises. On a New Years Day rabbit hunt, I was able to shoot 4 bunnies. I used an Izula on one, and the 3, 4, and 5 on the last three. The 5 is overkill for small-game skinning, the 3 and 4 worked fine but the Izula was great too.

Whichever way you go, Knife Lady can fix you up. We're lucky here at INGO to have access to a lot of great vendors and Brad and Sheila are at the top of the list. I'm going to add a 6 and an Izula II to the collection soon.

9qy0bt.jpg

Juday

Plinker
    Jul 12, 2011
    I'm kinda leaning towards the ESEE 4 now. Looks like the 5 might be a little too big for what I'm looking to do. The ESEE 6's blade is a little too long to have strapped to the pack. But, without physically holding any of them, I really have nothing to base my thoughts on....

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I got the 5 for the "if you can only have one and need it to do just about anything and everything" type situations. I do not regret it even though I have only used it to pop a blood blister.

I did buy the Esee 3 this past 1500 nice to have options.

Hemingway

Expert
    Sep 30, 2009
    Indiana
    My experience has been this: look at guys who have spent decades in the woods. They have blades most of us consider short (3 or 4 inches). The more I spend time playing survival, the more I learn I can do with smaller blades. I did an entire survival course with the ESEE HEST (the first generation). When shelter building required thicker limbs, I just used a big limb and batoned the dog snot out of it.

That's not to say you don't see some Rambo-esque stuff out there (Even Busse guys actually have to use their knives once in awhile to justify the next purchase :) ), but the real wilderness guys tend to use shorter, thinner blades.

One example was a drill of having to kill, skin and quarter a chicken. The thinner blades did the best. The guys with a 5 were having some trouble with the finer work.

Of course, you can make anything work, especially in a survival situation. But, the more I learn, the smaller my knife gets. When I first started survivalin' I got a massive Busse. Then, after I got some good training and started really developing my outdoor skills, I finally got down to carrying a 3 or 4 blade on my belt all the time. If I have the chance or know I'm going to be doing some heavy shelter building, I'll bring my GB axe or my ESEE lite machete.

Rest assured, you probably won't regret any ESEE purchase and if you do, they are easy to unload if you want to go a different route.

There are awesome knives out there and if you get into it, you'll spend the rest of your life buying ones trying to answer that question, "If I could only have ONE knife...."

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    My experience has been this: look at guys who have spent decades in the woods. They have blades most of us consider short (3 or 4 inches). The more I spend time playing survival, the more I learn I can do with smaller blades. I did an entire survival course with the ESEE HEST (the first generation). When shelter building required thicker limbs, I just used a big limb and batoned the dog snot out of it.

That's not to say you don't see some Rambo-esque stuff out there (Even Busse guys actually have to use their knives once in awhile to justify the next purchase :) ), but the real wilderness guys tend to use shorter, thinner blades.

One example was a drill of having to kill, skin and quarter a chicken. The thinner blades did the best. The guys with a 5 were having some trouble with the finer work.

Of course, you can make anything work, especially in a survival situation. But, the more I learn, the smaller my knife gets. When I first started survivalin' I got a massive Busse. Then, after I got some good training and started really developing my outdoor skills, I finally got down to carrying a 3 or 4 blade on my belt all the time. If I have the chance or know I'm going to be doing some heavy shelter building, I'll bring my GB axe or my ESEE lite machete.

Rest assured, you probably won't regret any ESEE purchase and if you do, they are easy to unload if you want to go a different route.

There are awesome knives out there and if you get into it, you'll spend the rest of your life buying ones trying to answer that question, "If I could only have ONE knife...."

This^^^^^

I'd be very careful about pickin on the "Busse guys", around these parts there are gangs of them and I have heard they can be a fairly dangerous bunch. :):

Juday

Plinker
    Jul 12, 2011
    Again, thank you for your thoughts and suggestions! I've never done this much research about a knife in my entire life...........:ingo:

I've refined my search to something that I can clean game/fish, whittle various items, and cut small branches if need be. I realize that as much as I'd like to believe, one knife really can't do it all. Maybe I'll have to buy more than one....:)

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Any ESEE knife will be a great buy. What can I say I love the knives and Jeff and Mike are great to deal with. A fine Company who makes great knives and stand behind their product.
    I think once you buy one you will want to buy another one. So just get prepared to get hooked. :D

Juday

Plinker
    Jul 12, 2011
    I know that whatever ESEE knife I end up buying, I definitely want the ESEE Fire Kit to go with it! I just wish the Kydex holster had a slot to store it on the side....

slimplmbr

Expert
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    Any ESEE knife will be a great buy. What can I say I love the knives and Jeff and Mike are great to deal with. A fine Company who makes great knives and stand behind their product.
    I think once you buy one you will want to buy another one. So just get prepared to get hooked. :D

She speaks the truth, it all started with the HEST fixed blade and now I have more ESEE blades than I care to count.:): I just don't have enough fingers and toes:D

Bradsknives

Master
    Mar 1, 2010
    Greenfield, IN.
    I know that whatever ESEE knife I end up buying, I definitely want the ESEE Fire Kit to go with it! I just wish the Kydex holster had a slot to store it on the side....

I'm pretty sure that Raven (INGO Advertiser) could hook you up with a kydex attachment to the existing sheath. Raven should be at the next INDY 1500 in March.

slimplmbr

Expert
    Jan 27, 2010
    Greenfield
    I'm pretty sure that Raven (INGO Advertiser) could hook you up with a kydex attachment to the existing sheath. Raven should be at the next INDY 1500 in March.

Raven can definitely help you out. They helped me out, made me a sheath for my Izula II that stacked on top of my 4 sheath. Came out real nice and not expensive at all.

Top Bottom