middlefinger-smiley.gif

Yep!!

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    My EDC knife has most recently been the izula. I am happy with this choice what are other reliable edc knifes in your opinion is a straight blade or a folder better?

I typically have at least two knives on me at any given time. Usually both are folders. One is a Benchmade Griptillain that I use for just about everything that needs cutting. The other is a cheap folding box cutter for when a gasket needs scraping or I just don't want to use my Benchmade.

I've tried to carry a fixed blade but just can't seem to really justify it unless I'm actually going into the woods then a machete and a good fixed blade go with me. Folders are much easier to carry for normal everyday stuff.

The Izula is a pretty cool little knife though. I don't own one but may pick one up someday just to say I have one.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    I carry an Izula. I don't carry a folder too often. I find my Izula fits my needs just fine and it fits in my purse as easily as a folder. I have almost every color of the Izula so if I wanted to I could change one everyday to match my wardrobe. :):

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Ive been carrying an Izula 2 for edc for a few weeks now. Im a mechanic and I use it to open boxes and cut tape and hose and such. never use it as a scraper or pry bar. Im disappointed at the lack of edge retension. Sure its a sturdy knife but if it cant cut through clear packing tape... Im back to looking at folders, namely a benchmade auto of some sort. Gotta see Brad this weekend!

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Ive been carrying an Izula 2 for edc for a few weeks now. Im a mechanic and I use it to open boxes and cut tape and hose and such. never use it as a scraper or pry bar. Im disappointed at the lack of edge retension. Sure its a sturdy knife but if it cant cut through clear packing tape... Im back to looking at folders, namely a benchmade auto of some sort. Gotta see Brad this weekend!

[video=youtube;tSrlvqrZQKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrlvqrZQKY#t=18[/video]

that video's why i bought a izula, if i were you i'd contact esse, maybe your heat treatment's not right, that knife should cut thru an engineblock and still open a box!

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    It's all I've been carrying when I don't have my Schempp Tuff on me since I sold my Manix, Leek, and Rake. Made a taco kydex sheath for it, and it slips right into my front pocket. Don't even notice it while I'm carrying it.

I plan on picking up an Izula soon. :rockwoot:

I'm pretty excited about it. I've not carried fixed blades much before.

Agreed. ESEE does 1095 justice with the heat treat from Rowen. If it's not holding an edge from opening some packages and light cutting duty, I'd send it back. I've had no problems with mine. Doesn't hold an edge as long as my 3v Tuff, but not much does, and ESEE's 1095 holds an edge adequately.

[video=youtube;tSrlvqrZQKY]
    that video's why i bought a izula, if i were you i'd contact esse, maybe your heat treatment's not right, that knife should cut thru an engineblock and still open a box!

The Keymaster

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 12, 2010
    Manistee County, MI
    I have an Izula (thanks to Knife Lady) and an Emerson Lagriffe. While the Lagriffe is lighter and a little easier to conceal, it is significantly shorter both at the grip, and the blade. I like both, but the Izula gets more carry time.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    Yeah mine didn't even go through that much torture. Ive never had a knife sharp enough to shave with (might be my gorilla hair) but I can safely run my thumb down the blade and its only slightly sharper than a butter knife. I sharpened it when I got it with a Smiths sharpening system and still wouldn't shave. Wasn't very sharp when new.
    [video=youtube;tSrlvqrZQKY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tSrlvqrZQKY#t=18[/video]

shootersix

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Yeah mine didn't even go through that much torture. Ive never had a knife sharp enough to shave with (might be my gorilla hair) but I can safely run my thumb down the blade and its only slightly sharper than a butter knife. I sharpened it when I got it with a Smiths sharpening system and still wouldn't shave. Wasn't very sharp when new.

sounds like a bad knife, esee has a lifetime warranty, (no questions asked) contact them and get it sent back, out of the box mine was laser sharp!(yes laser!) ,i even saw a idiot on youtube say "the finish is comming off, i'm going to break the knife so i'll get a new one, in the comments everybody was bashing him, esee posted a commed and said, we'd really like you not to do that, but we'll replace it, its our warantee!

now yes it hard to sharpen, 1095 is hard steel, god i never thought i'd get it sharp after it got dull, but god did it take forever to get dull!

good luck!

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've got more than one Izula. Edge holding is as good as one can expect with 1095.

It's possible it was not properly sharpened to start and it's still not. If you have a wire edge/burr, that can also make it seem sharp for a little while, then suddenly dull.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    If you've never had a knife sharp enough to shave with, I'm going to say it's you and not the blade. You can't determine if the blade won't hold an edge if you can't put an edge on the blade in the first place.

And like Rhino said: even if it is sharp to start with, you might just have a rolled up burr still on the edge. Once it gets knocked off, you're back to dull really quick.

Before claiming anything about a blades ability to take or hold an edge, you really need to evaluate your own ability at sharpening.

95wrangler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 10, 2011
    New Pal
    I wont say Im the best but I had it sharp enough for me. Actually the very back of the blade is still as sharp as I had it and there is no burr... Ill take it over to Profire when the guy is there sharpening and have it done. I haven't given up completely yet.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    I am not big into knifes, but I see a lot of people recommending the Izula ESSE 4's and 3's both. I am looking for a fixed blade I can use to clean game with, specifically birds or deer. I saw someone had recommend a ESSE3 but I really am just looking for anything, doesn't have to be an Izula. I currently own a buck for this and it's amazing, but my dad had it engraved and gave it to me as a gift and I feel bad about taking it out in the field, if I am using it to clean animals at home thats fine, but I don't like it getting beat up in the field or being worried about losing it.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I am not big into knifes, but I see a lot of people recommending the Izula ESSE 4's and 3's both. I am looking for a fixed blade I can use to clean game with, specifically birds or deer. I saw someone had recommend a ESSE3 but I really am just looking for anything, doesn't have to be an Izula. I currently own a buck for this and it's amazing, but my dad had it engraved and gave it to me as a gift and I feel bad about taking it out in the field, if I am using it to clean animals at home thats fine, but I don't like it getting beat up in the field or being worried about losing it.

And ESEE 3 is just about perfect for your use. Just a little shorter than the 4, but made from stock about the same thickness as the Izula, so it's a slicer. The 3 is my current favorite ESEE.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    And ESEE 3 is just about perfect for your use. Just a little shorter than the 4, but made from stock about the same thickness as the Izula, so it's a slicer. The 3 is my current favorite ESEE.

Thanks I appreciate it!

bmbutch

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Southern Indiana
    Dagnabbit INGO, because of this thread, just had to look at the Izula, sigh.... just sent Knifelady PM for pricing, there goes some money....Poooof!

Stupid INGO!

Top Bottom