• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    I'm trying to cull the herd and sell off redundant knives, which made me think of the question: If you had to justify each of your blades, how would you categorize them, and how many categories would you have?

I typically carry a knife and multitool, and I choose the size depending on tasks for the day. Here is what I came up with, and what I decided to keep:

1. 2.5"-3" EDC Folder (Benchmade Mini Griptilian)
    2. Small EDC Multitool (Leatherman Squirt) <- still questioning necessity of this.... Do I really need pliers every day? Might be replaced by a Leatherman Style on the keychain

3. 3"-4" Folder for outdoor work (Spyderco Endura FFG) <- still questioning necessity of this, since option #1 works just fine
    4. Medium Multitool (Leatherman Juice)

5. 4"+ fixed blade for camping (Benchmade Fixed Griptilian) <- or ESEE 4, I cannot decide what to keep
    6. Large Multitool for camping (Leatherman Wave)

Last edited:

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    If you try to justify owning numerous knives your just going to get a headache.

I suppose if you think of a blade as just a tool you could categorize them. However, they are more than tools to me so I cannot say I will have one 3" knife and one 4" knife.

Each knife has its own character from the design to the steel and feel. I get up and pick one out according to how I feel that day.

My wife has numerous purses. They all do the same thing. Their size and color are different and the straps are of various widths and lengths. However, I never question her about it because I understand.

Knife Lady

PROUD TO BE AN ARMY BRAT
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 1, 2010
    Central USA
    Not only are you smart enough to love a Sheltie but you are a smart man on your knives for an EDC but the smartes is your opinion on your wife or really any female and her choices of how many or which purse to carry for that day or week or so forth....;) rep in bound also.

If you try to justify owning numerous knives your just going to get a headache.

I suppose if you think of a blade as just a tool you could categorize them. However, they are more than tools to me so I cannot say I will have one 3" knife and one 4" knife.

Each knife has its own character from the design to the steel and feel. I get up and pick one out according to how I feel that day.

My wife has numerous purses. They all do the same thing. Their size and color are different and the straps are of various widths and lengths. However, I never question her about it because I understand.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    if you need the money i can understand why your selling off your knives. otherwise keep them and use/love them all. no reason to get rid of a good tool because you have multiples. do you have more than one socket set? i understand what your saying about how they are redundant but as soon as you break one or lose one then you will be buying another one anyways.

either way i have to many knives to count/categorize and i don't plan on getting rid of them ever unless i have to :)

i compare my knives to my wife's shoes. she has a closet full and i don't say **** when she comes home with a new pair so she doesn't say much when i bring home a new knife or gun :)

2500ekW

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Oct 17, 2010
    Zionsville
    I suppose it's more out of routine and my obsession with efficiency.... If I only have one small EDC blade, I spend 0 seconds deciding which one to put in my pocket on a normal day.

This isn't meant to be an intervention to keep me from selling off my knives... It's more theoretical to ask how you classify your knives, and possibly share your favorites.

And no, I do not have more than one socket set. I have a complete, high quality set, and every socket has a specific purpose.

Last edited:

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Yeah, I can't seem to want to keep anything that is not being used, unless its purposed to not be used, such as an anniversary edition 1911. Other than that, if it's been in the safe for a while, I start feeling the desire to get rid of it.

Sheltie

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    N.E. Indiana
    Alright I'll try to tell you how I classify my knives in no certain order.

1. The going out to eat knife. Slim, rides low in the pocket. (Benchmade 960)

2. The Christmas knife. The knife carried knowing everyone will ask me for it and use it as a pry bar. Also not a Axis lock. They confuse non knife people for the first time. (Kershaw Wildturkey)

3. The work knife. Does what I need it to do. Not intimidating to customers as I have received a complaint once. Not too expensive if lost. (Benchmade Griptilian non serrated)

4. The I'm going fishing knife.

5. The I'm going to a area I don't know and I might need my knife for defensive purposes. (Emerson CQC-8)

6. The I'm going to Michigan to pick up stuff knife. Under 3" blade. (Mini-Griptilian)

7. The I'm visiting my cousin in Chicago knife. Under 2". (Bull Dog Folder-Stag handles of course)

8. The beater knife. I really don't care about this knife. (CRKT M16)

9. The end of the world knife attached to my bug out bag. (Fallkniven S1 forest knife)

10. The keep in the wifes car knife. (Pink Mini-Griptilian)

11. The I'm going into a crawl space or attic knife. (Leatherman Wave)

12. The I'm going to throw my knife at some wood knife. (Some Gil Hibben set)

13. The I've always wanted a knife from Sweden knife. (Fallkniven FH9)

14. The I like walnut wood knife. (Benchmade Bone Collector 15020-2)

15. The I wonder how ZDP-189 steel performs knife. (Spyderco Delica)

16. The I think laminated copper is cool knife. (Kershaw Nakamura)

17. The Steven Seagal is cool knife. And who doesn't love stingray. (Kershaw 1680st):rockwoot:

18. The I bought this when I was stationed in Germany knife. (Hertz lock back)

19. The I love Axis Lock knives. (Any Benchmade with Axis lock)

20. The I am a sucker for any folding knife made for a lefty.(Hest Folder on order)

21. The I like Kershaw knives because they stand behind their products and what is speed safe. (Kershaw Leek)

22. The every man must own a knife with STAG handles. A Indiana must.
    (Case Peanut)
    23. The Swiss Army knife because the tooth pick is just awesome.

24. The I love HK so I bought a HK Benchmade knife with a axis lock. My full on double rainbow knife. (Benchmade 14205) YouTube - Yosemitebear Mountain Giant Double Rainbow 1-8-10

25. The lucky job interview knife. (Buck 525 don't laugh its lucky I'm tellin ya.)

26. The I heard so much talk about a Spyderco Military knife. (Spyderco Military, left handed)

27. The I love the handle knife. (Cold Steel outdoorsman.)

28. The other knives that don't fit in the above are just because they are cool and I like them.

paddling_man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Fishers
    The knife justifications I've done have been selling off many safe queens. Although a few queens remain - comparatively, I have very few left.

The users? Some a little larger, some carry a bit better. Some better in shorts. Whatever... nearly every one of the users has a facet in which it excels.

If I had to narrow down permanently to just two, it would likely be one of my mid-sized* blades plus a SAK stored in its sheath-pouch. (Swiss Army Knife.) If I can add a sturdy folder to bring the count up to three, then so be it. If I can add a fourth blade, it would be one of my small fixed** blades like I commonly carry vertically on a backpack shelf.

*Mid sized for me being defined as 3/16" - 1/4" in spine thickness and 6.5"-7.5" in length.
    *Small fixed for me being defined as =<3/16" in spine thickness and 3.5"-5" in length.

Of the blades I own, those four primaries, if forced to narrow down, would be:

SAK- One of my Victorinox Tinker or Climbers.
    Mid-Sized- Swamp Rat Ratweiler or Busse SFNO.
    Sturdy Folder- Chris Reeve Sebenza
    Small Fixed- Swamp Rat HRLM or Busse Active Duty

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    Yeah, I can't seem to want to keep anything that is not being used, unless its purposed to not be used, such as an anniversary edition 1911. Other than that, if it's been in the safe for a while, I start feeling the desire to get rid of it.

That is exactly how I am. I treat my stuff like it is getting cobwebs and has to go if it sits a month without use. Unfortunately, I take a beating on things as I have a real problem with spontaneous purchases:spend:

As far as the knives you are keeping and selling...I can't blame you for getting rid of things you don't use to buy things you will use. If I may make a suggestion "cough" sell the ESEE "cough" :evilangel:

DanO

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    NW IN
    I just went through this and decided some knives I had were just sitting and had to go. I had enough other knives I was using and backups to those. Just rember, if you are a prepper, your knives will wear after a lot of use and sharpenings and they can be lost, so have a backup or two.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    collecting knives is something that has never appealed to me, if they dont have a use, they get sold.

I use a Becker campanion, a becker neck knife, 2 leatherman multitools small one for the pocket, largest one for the bag. and a spyderco tenacious for the EDC.

Never saw a need for an additional knife myself.

Coydog

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2010
    Fort Greenwood
    I must have enough because I don't know how many. I have spares for my favorites and the rest are for gifting. The perfect gift for the person who has everything or nothing.

I like shelties but my neighbor's beat up my 8 month old malinois the first time they met. A year later my boy got the chance to return the gesture and did so on my neighbor's front porch while she watched from inside. There was sheltie fur flying but no real harm was done and the neighbor laughed it off saying he asked for it.

cubby

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 5, 2008
    LaGrange, IN
    here is the plan:

forget you own all those knives.

randomly walk to where you store your various knives.

surprise yourself with an awesome knife you forgot you had!

see... its like a party. everytime.

Top Bottom