• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirilp

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    hey guys,

i was wondering, in your opinion, what is the most important and most essential item that you will add or replace in your AR-15. if you just got it and now you want to treat her with some new toy, like new stock, laser, flashlight grip or so...

im just interested to see some expert opinion...

Once a Marine, Always a Marine

:patriot:

PunchPunch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 16, 2009
    I would suggest lots and lots of ammo....

Seriously though, if this is your first AR, shoot it and get a feel for it before adding a bunch to it. My thoughts on what mine needed changed dramatically after the first few trips to the range. I'm saving up now for a railed forearm and vertical grip.

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    I would suggest lots and lots of ammo....

Seriously though, if this is your first AR, shoot it and get a feel for it before adding a bunch to it. My thoughts on what mine needed changed dramatically after the first few trips to the range. I'm saving up now for a railed forearm and vertical grip.

This; and, attend a carbine course with the irons, or borrow an electronic sight from someone. You'll learn a more, on top of the range trips, of what works and does not in a under stress environment as well.

Don't buy junk, you'll regret it. That's one thing I know for sure in life. Buy an Aimpoint, before you buy some BSA something if you plan on having that lasts, for instance. Buy Larue tactical products before you buy UTG brand, Daniel Defense before Olympic, you get the point. Buy the quality and you won't regret it.

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    I cant speak for AR's.. But for rifles in general an awsome optic is a must have. You get the precision, spead, range, and a down right awesome coolness factor.

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    personally, i only keep a vertical foregrip on my m4 because it has a bipod inside it. its handy for when i set it down. ive always held it by the magazine when im firing. i dont really like the aimpoint either. i would take an eo tech over that. but over both of them i would take an acog. i would say the ONE accessory i have to have is some sort of optic.

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    I know this is the obvious. Fire the weapon, and see what mechanically needs to be upgraded, if anything.

The rifle functioning properly and reliably, should be the first priority. All firearms need to be broken in, before one would have total reliance in that firearm .

Like stated before, see if the current iron sights are adequate. See what magazines work the best.

Fire a couple of hundred rounds (also see how rifle, works with what ammo), do a good cleaning and inspection of the stock parts afterwards (bolt face, firing pin, staking on carrier, etc).

You will probably already have some what of a feel, what needs to be upgraded.

Vertical grips, optics, flashlights are nice aftermarket accessories, but are not necessary for a good "basic rifle". I know, my opinion.

Hammer spring, reliable magazines, the little rubber insert for the extractor spring (make sure it's there), rubber spacer to make rifle tighter (if needed), upgrade trigger, buffer or buffer spring, etc.?

Mechanical concerns first, if any, then the cool toys.

Good luck on picking them, the prices and choices are endless.

I say a vertical grip first. Then worry about the optics. Pick the right optic to fit the type of AR15, you will be using.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    i was wondering, in your opinion, what is the most important and most essential item that you will add or replace in your AR-15.

It's not so much "essential", but the first thing I'd change on any AR would be the factory grip. (I can hear mettle and tyler34 giggling. . . . )

Why?

• stock grip is too small
    • stock grip is too hard
    • stock grip leaves gap between trigger guard that is rough on the top finger

• Ergo grip fills hand better, with subtle finger grooves and a comfy beavertail that supports the web of the shooting hand
    • Ergo grip (Suregrip) has a hard rubbery surface that doesn't get hot in the summer or cold in the winter, and provides a good gripping surface
    • Ergo grip comes with a rubber "gapper" plug to eliminate the gap (or a Mapgul Enhanced Trigger Guard will do the same)
    This:
    ar15grip.jpg

Versus this:
    ergo_colors_brlg.jpg

Personally, I prefer the looks of the MOE/MIAD, but the materials of the ERGO. If Magpul made a rubberized MIAD, I'd put that on every AR.

:twocents:

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    For target upgrade the FCG (I went with a Timney). I also bought a spare BCG (Young National Match). Now I have spart parts in case anything in the BCG or FCG break. Also, install optics that fit your needs...

mvician

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    NW Indiana
    It's not so much "essential", but the first thing I'd change on any AR would be the factory grip. (I can hear mettle and tyler34 giggling. . . . )

Personally, I prefer the looks of the MOE/MIAD, but the materials of the ERGO. If Magpul made a rubberized MIAD, I'd put that on every AR.

:twocents:

The Magpul MOE rubber overmold grip is on the horizon. ;)

IMG_6387-1028-Stick.jpg

alan robert

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Indiana
    Good point, about a good grip. I have the Mag Pul Miad grip, with the oversized trigger guard.

I would also suggest setting up a good lower receiver first, because you can add any upper, if you get tired of your present upper.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    this is obviously a man with very discerning and astute taste in hand grips:yesway:

I don't know about that. :): All I know is that it fits my hand and it's comfortable, and in the end I guess that's the only test that matters.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    Essential upgrade?

Training.

Invest in yourself first.

I agree 100%.

Buy a high quality plain jane AR-15 w/ an adjustable stock. Get a feel for it before you get rails or other fancy furniture. Any standard Colt model or equivalent. Then go to a professional training class (not one class, but many). Learn how to shoot it and how it works.

Develop the plan for your intended use. Long range or under 100 meters? I think those are different requirements.

While you are taking the training you can talk to some of your classmates and the instructors to find out what works for them and maybe learn what you actually need, not what looks cool.

The instructors can help you to define your requirements and the needed accessories to implement your plan.

Nothing beats good training....

Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    Figure out what you want to do with your AR first. Mine is just for fun at the range so no flashlights, lasers, or disco ball for me.

First upgrade was a 2 stage trigger(RRA). I did not like the gritty factory trigger my rifle came with at all.

Then replaced my 6pos stock body to a Magpul CTR. Im not crazy about my cheek weld but I like that it locks into place and does not wobble like my factory stock did.

+1 for the Hogue grip, thats what feels best to me too!

Those were my essential basics, your mileage may vary.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom