• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I think it's worth the $35 they are asking... but to be honest... I haven't actually used one, but bear with me... I was recently looking for another hatchet and I chose something else...

I'm not a big fan of "survival" or "bushcraft" knives. I'd rather have a good hatchet any day.

Many of the reviews I've seen say that the steel is decent... the thing you have to look out for is the rolling and chipping, but it seems that most people are happy in this regard - the steel is the number one thing AFAIAC with choosing a hatchet, comfort and balance are second. It has a few other things going for it when looking for a hatchet - full tang, so nearly indestructible, a very narrow profile, so it cuts deep with each chop, it's size puts it in the "true hatchet" catagory, however it weighs somewhat more than my favorite hatchet - an old Norlund Hudson Bay hatchet.

Why is that my favorite? It's a little lighter, the steel takes a very nice edge without a lot of work, it's perfectly balanced and fit the hand very well, whether your swinging, choking up, or up on the head for fine work. Alas time has taken it's toll (I've had it for more than 30 years) and I need to put a new wedge in the handle because it has worked loose. On the down side it's not my best cutting hatchet... that title belongs to my dad's old Sears Craftsman full-tang with a molded rubber grip. It's older than I am, probably 50 years old, perhaps more.

So when I was looking for another hatchet a few months ago I considered the Estwing (very very similar to the Craftsman in size and head design) but after a few weeks of looking on ebay I found a "like new" Craftsman and ended up getting it for $21 plus shipping... when I got it it still had the factory "varnish" on the head and had never been sharpened, so it was like Christmas morning... in fact I wrapped it up for myself to open tomorrow, and gave the old Craftsman back to my mom.

What's the moral? Based on the head design, USA made, nice sheath, decent reviews regarding the steel, I don't think you'll go wrong with the Estwing. On the other hand, you could check ebay for an old Craftsman. The Norlunds are going for $75+. :(

Tandem160

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Fine little hatchet. Classic looks and feel. It'll do a great job for most tasks. Thanks for the site I never knew about the other axes! I may pick up the Special Edition Fireside.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I had this exact hatchet as a kid. All I can say is it survived 3 boys abusing it for countless years. I cannot imagine how it would hold up if you took car of it.

calcot7

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 12, 2008
    Indy N Side
    I have had an Estwing hatchet for many years and still use it almost every day in the winter months. It sits next to the wood stove and makes kindling out of scrap 1x and 2x scrap material. It is a different model than the one you are thinking about. It has the hammer head opposite the blade which I managed to chip pounding on another hatchet that I got stuck in a piece of knotty hickory. I know you are not supposed to use the tool in this manner for safety reasons and I more or less proved it in the chipping incident. The piece of the hatchet that broke off ripped a .25 caliber hole in my brand new blue jeans........and you guessed it ..........put me under a surgeons's knife two days later. Good hatchet though. It stays sharp and holds an edge well.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have killed two Estwing axes and one hatchet. I have switched to the Fiskars:
    http://www.amazon.com/Fiskars-78506935-X7-Hatchet-14-Inch/dp/B0002YTO7E

and it has performed much better thus far (three years and counting). The Estwing has a tendency to have the edge closest to your hand get caught under roots when chopping out stumps and is very hard to get back out. They don't handle sideways loading very well.

I grant you, for the price the Estwing is a fine piece, but the Fiskars has been working better for my uses.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    I've had one for at least 20 years that is a hand-me-down from my cheap ass dad, so who knows how old it actually is. I know it wasn't new at the time because the guys wallet squeaks every time he opens it :laugh: Great hatchet though.

Craigh

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 15, 2010
    Columbus
    I have killed two Estwing axes and one hatchet. I have switched to the Fiskars:
    Amazon.com : Fiskars X7 Hatchet, 14-Inch : Axes : Patio, Lawn & Garden

and it has performed much better thus far (three years and counting). The Estwing has a tendency to have the edge closest to your hand get caught under roots when chopping out stumps and is very hard to get back out. They don't handle sideways loading very well.

I grant you, for the price the Estwing is a fine piece, but the Fiskars has been working better for my uses.

Hi SS,

Thanks for the information on Fiskars. Do you have a Super Splitter (x27)? This may be a great gift for my father and I'd like to hear how it compares to a 'regular' ax/maul.

Thanks,

Craig

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    Hi SS,

Thanks for the information on Fiskars. Do you have a Super Splitter (x27)? This may be a great gift for my father and I'd like to hear how it compares to a 'regular' ax/maul.

Thanks,

Craig

I LOVE it. I still wrapped the neck in rubber tape to protect it but it works way better than my traditional maul, which at this point has been relegated to backup "get the thing stuck" duties.

Expatriated

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 22, 2013
    I've had one of these for about 6 years and it's still going strong. It gets abused because at that price, I'm not scared to push its limits. It's been left out in the rain and everything. May not look great but it'll shave your arm hair. What I've used it most for lately is inside the house, demo-ing during a remodel. I used it to knock out walls, cut through cabinets, etc.

I used it last year to skin deer with and then cut through bones and stuff. It was an amazingly good skinner. I'd have no qualms relying on it in the woods as my sole cutting instrument if it came to that.

Having written all that, though, I love my Gransfor Bruks SFA much better :)

Top Bottom